Let's talk cheap tires, shall we?

Browning

It's once again time to purchase a set of tires since the snow is here. Last year we ran a guardsman plus from sears. I think they were $323 installed and out the door. For a cheap tire they have done us well. They actually cruised ok in snow for what they are. We didn't have any issues. It's an older neon so now the fronts are balding a bit but the backs are still in pretty good shape. We plan to keep the backs for spares. They are now discontinued because they make a new line but sears has a set left that would be $294.46 installed.

I found walmart sells Douglas Xtra Trac II that would be $267 installed. I haven't done much digging but a lot of reviews say they are horrible, while some say they're good for a cheap tire.

Do you know of anything else in this price range that we would benefit more from having than the guardsman plus? Tire size is 185/65/14. Like I said the guardsman plus treated us well so at this point that's the direction we're heading. If any of you run a cheap tire, what is it?

Edit-Please don't turn this into a "get snow tires dumbass" type thread. While I love snow tires we got around fine without them last year.

tires-easy.com

would rather have an all in one stop.

So the fronts lasted less than a year?

Yes, but it's not the tires that caused it. This car has been wrecked a couple times and could use bushings, ball joints and tie rods. It's the outer edge that wears.

edit-probably worth noting this car will be semi retired come tax time so fixing the front end isn't a priority

If you're that cheap then just go to a junkyard and snatch up some decent tires that are/came off of a totaled car. I used to do this when I had beater cars back in the day. would find 75% or better tires for like $15-30 a piece at these places.

This ^

or cruise craigslist looking for similar offers. Maybe ebay too.

Sounds like you just need some new fronts, as you won't be driving the Neon much in a few months...
Haven't ruled this out yet.

If you're that cheap then just go to a junkyard and snatch up some decent tires that are/came off of a totaled car. I used to do this when I had beater cars back in the day. would find 75% or better tires for like $15-30 a piece at these places.

I feel being 14's it will be hard to find some that are decent, with even tread and the rubber is in good shape

not sure he could get a deal that would warrant a drive to columbus though

Might be worth a shot, Derek always does his best to help people.

call me tomorrow you might be surprised?

614-729-6027 price also includes a free alignment to stop some of that premature tire wear...

call me early i have a meeting in the afternoon we open at 8am

call me tomorrow you might be surprised?

614-729-6027 price also includes a free alignment to stop some of that premature tire wear...

call me early i have a meeting in the afternoon we open at 8am

I definitely will Derek, thank you.