College Football Thread v3.0

Dr. Pomade

Umm when did he say this exactly? I was watching sportscenter last night and actually turned it cause he was saying the exact opposite lol. He stated that OSU has played NOBODY in 2 years, that the B10 was the worst AQ conference, he stated that Michigan State wasn't a top 10 team, noted how MSU lost to 4 loss Notre Dame. Gave credit to Auburn for beating Ole Miss, over looked the fact that they lost to LSU who is a 3 loss team. Basically he was spewing his normal bullshit, right along with the rest of the crew.

Yeah, I didn't watch because why in the hell would you? But from what I read Palmer and Pollack were going hard in the paint for a 1-loss SEC team to be ahead of OSU.

Hopefully OSU wins so we can all lick the SEC-lovers' tears right off their cheeks.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's driving me nuts to hear Brad Edwards try to make a case for why Missouri should be considered for the NCG because their one loss came with their starting QB out.

Um, our starting QB was out for three games. Not only did we manage not to lose - something Missouri can't say - but a case could be made that, if we didn't lose our QB for three games, then we never slide in the polls, Braxton is the front runner for the Heisman, and no one is questioning us not being "dominant" enough.

It's awesome how injuries are convenient excuses for other teams.

Really this is the nail on the head.

History sets precedents...

Undefeated is great for 23 games...We just have not played and SEC team during this run (a top sec team)...I like to hate on the cheaters in the south as much of the next guy but as ESPN puts it the "cold hard facts" are they are a better conference. The big ten is just average, when your third best team wisky gets beat at home by PSU...come on...

And while Jimmy beat the RazorBacks (which was vacated) OSU is 1-9 or something vs. SEC... Why would the media perceive OSU to be able to run with the south dogs? Yes they may have some bias, like NBC and ABC during election time...You can not simply tout about being under appreciated and the media having bias; yes the resume "looks" good, 23 game winning streak, , Heisman Candidate QB, top rated national offense, Top rated defense (which pains me to type), Urban Meyer, ect, But what is all boils down to is 2 of our BEST teams in the last decade got BLOWN OFF THE FIELD by two of the BEST teams in the SEC in the last ten years...We hold no candle and should hold no apologies.

I hate being the hater, but I will continue to be a pessimist until I can be proven wrong when it comes to facing SEC...Hell I think FSU is a better team then Bama and I like OSU against them more so just due to the stigma that surrounds this school against the SEC...

Oh and the fact our D-Line played awful against a BUSH league Michigan, and our secondary still loves playing 13 yard cushion, and we have one good linebacker...and over all our defense is not up to snuff.

But win and they are in... A shot at the belt is better then no shot I suppose.

I can't disagree with anything said here.

I'll add that the fuel to the fire is the media spin that ESPN and others introduce. For instance, does anyone say that Florida can't beat a Midwest team because they were absolutely manhandled by Nebraska in a bowl game the mid-1990s? No. But of course all you hear is how Ohio State can't beat an athletic team (like those from the SEC) because of how we were shellacked in two bowl games about 8 years ago.

It's all cyclical. Like you said, Florida was embarrassed in the desert by Nebraska. 10 years later they return the favor to another midwest team. Said midwest team now has their chance at redemption. Under the same head coach that redeemed Florida and kickstarted SEC dominance.

Seriously that 13 yard DB cushion has been pissing me off all year. You see moments where they obviously coached them up to play press coverage but then they slide back into the zone far too quickly. It would be different if they had linebackers that could actually do something in pass coverage but they don't. The D just makes me lose hair quicker and grey quicker than I already do.

Pavo

I was listening to the Herd on 97.1, Colin was saying that if any team has something to worry about its FSU, He was talking about how voters shouldn't/wont put FSU in the NCG without a verdict on Winston, He explained that if FSU gets voted in the NCG and Winston is found guilty FSU is left with their 3rd string QB for that game(2nd string QB is out for the season) and whoever the #2 team is will just crush them and the ratings people aren't gonna like that. Then he went into the rape case on how rape victim's don't make that stuff up etc...

I think it's safe to say if we beat MSU were going no matter what

Just the fact that FSU fans think it will be a massive blowout against OSU is pretty pathetic. They had an easier schedule this year, and they aren't necessarily better than OSU, regardless of what the statistics say. I'm a bit worried about them, but I think OSU will be able to pull it off.

I love this...

Lori Schmidt ‏@LoriSchmidt 4m

...Moments after OSU started celebrating Auburn win, Philly Brown stood up & chided, "You guys act like you don't have another game to win."

lol... and this...

Ben Axelrod ‏@BenAxelrod 20m

Ohio State center Corey Linsley on Taylor Lewan’s comment that Ohio State’s not the No. 3 team in the nation: “I guess he was right.”

Conspiracy theorists unite -

Rumors are swirling, all related to the Harris (human) poll in its make up of the BCS calculations.

This is the final week for the Harris poll vote this season, it is a public vote.

This is also the final vote for the Harris poll period. It will end with the new playoff.

The Harris poll was solely created for the BCS.

Now the fun part.

OSU wins and in...unless there is enough of a revolt in the Harris poll voters...Say the voters decide to go YOLO, they cant loose their votes for the future so there is no reprecussion, the poll is over, why not go out supporting your conference/ team/ ect. SO the voters then move OSU to say 6-7 even with a win over MSU. IF enough voters push OSU down the ranks this far, and IF Auburn win then you could potentially see them surpass OSU... As the margin will be tight. The Harris poll is a joke as is currently so it will be interesting, and while this is very grassy knoll, it is fun to speculate.

If you wouldn't mind doing some research for your theory, I'd be interested...

What are the ties of the people who vote in the Harris poll?

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/vault/HI-News-Release-HICFP-Panelists-100313_final.pdf

Aside from Lloyd Carr I don't really recognize any B1G-friendly names just from scanning it. But I honestly don't recognize most of the names.

Still, OSU is ahead of Auburn in the coaches and IF OSU wins that will remain the same. And OSU is ahead of Auburn in all but one computer poll and IF OSU wins that will likely remain the same as well. So 2/3 isn't 3/3 but it's still safe.

ESPN still trying to push Auburn ahead, this shits hilarious. The BCS "expert" is on here saying that the chances are slim, now the guy is trying to throw Bama back into the mix hahahahahaha

"What is Ohio State and Auburn both lose, you have #4 Alabama sitting there"

LOL ESPN needs to get cut from covering NCAA Football, it's getting pathetic how badly they want an SEC team to win again...

LOL ESPN needs to get cut from covering NCAA Football, it's getting pathetic how badly they want an SEC team to win again...

It was so bad a non-OSU fan actually started a thread on reddit last night trying to figure out why OSU fans aren't more pissed at the complete lack of respect ESPN has for OSU and the unbearable bias ESPN has for the SEC.

We're just used to it now. We either ignore it or listen, laugh and move on. It's been happening since the Alamo Bowl in 2004. And this article gives you a good starting point as to why...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07-01/sports/ct-spt-0701-big-ten-nebraska--20110701_1_commissioner-jim-delany-john-wildhack-espn-officials

Also, College Gameday will be in Indy. Interesting since ESPN doesn't like the B1G and the game is on Fox but if you think about it it is the most important game of the day. FSU beating Duke is a given so they're in. OSU beats MSU and they're in. SEC title game is a matchup of top 5 teams but whoever wins has to hope OSU loses.

Well they have been to the past 4 SEC championship games and that game is on CBS. So I don't know, gameday is desperate for ratings?

Just the fact that FSU fans think it will be a massive blowout against OSU is pretty pathetic. They had an easier schedule this year, and they aren't necessarily better than OSU, regardless of what the statistics say. I'm a bit worried about them, but I think OSU will be able to pull it off.

Fsu 66th and OSU 61 for schedule strength. Auburn for example has the 25th hardest schedule.

All bowl politics and fandom aside, I think FSU-OSU would be a far more entertaining game than pretty much any other possibility. Both defenses are okay, but both offenses are fast-paced and explosive, and they'd score on each other all day. I'd rather watch a shootout than another rape (lol) or defenses butting heads.

Also,

ESPN Radio has been ridiculous all day today with the "LOL NO GUYS IT AINT EVEN MATTER IF WE GOTS A CONTRACT SEC POWER #SEC S-E-C S-E-C 7 YEEARS!!1"

Give me a break. If the roles were reversed (a 1 loss team slowly getting back into the top 5ish) they wouldn't even remotely consider them for the title. Shit, look at OkSt. 1 embarrassing loss and they're nowhere in the title discussion, yet this circlejerk is going about getting an Auburn team who has BARELY won every single game they've won other than LSU (lol), and who is all of 2 plays away from being a 3 loss team, is somehow getting 'screwed'? What?

EDIT: Furthermore, if the Gods that be (ESPN) DEMAND an SEC team, I'd still want it to be Alabama despite the loss. That crap would absolutely not happen again. Alabama wins that matchup 9 games out of 10, but this Saturday was the 1. Alabama is still the better football team with a more quality loss (lol) and more decisive wins.

Polls are so fucking stupid. Think about it for a second - we decide who our national champion based in very large part on what amounts to a popularity contest (or beauty pageant).

Consider this: how high would the murder rate spike be if the NFL all of a sudden did away with the playoffs and decided who would play in Super Bowl based on a vote of people? If that was ever proposed, we'd all laugh hysterically. Yet this is exactly what our system is for FBS.

Polls also give power to voices because there's the potential to actually sway opinions. Sure, we have people give their opinions on who the "best" NFL teams are at any given time (like a power ranking or whatever), but notice how no one really cares? That isn't the case in college football. And so we have the potential for people to actually believe idiot heels like Mark May and for that stupid opinion to matter. Take away the powder of the polls and you take the wind out of those sails.

I know, I'm not saying anything that anyone doesn't already know. But I felt like I had to vent.

Another thing: Ohio State is, in my opinion, about the 4th to 7th best team in the nation. Here are the teams that I would favor over Ohio State right now:

FSU

Alabama

Auburn

Here are the teams that, while not heavily favored, could easily beat Ohio State:

Ok State

Mich State

Mizzou

However, I think that - regardless of what my eye test says about Ohio State and those other teams - I think Ohio State deserves to be ranked either #1 or #2 by virtue of not having a loss. Florida State is the other team that hasn't lost (and the only other team from a major conference), so they get the other spot at the top.

I get SOS arguments, and MOV arguments, and so forth. However, when you start weighing criteria, I think a lot of people overlook the obvious: you start with wins and losses, and the teams that have losses MUST be ranked lower than teams that do not by virtue of their loss.

I don't give a fuck how difficult your schedule was. If you have a loss, then you have a loss, period. Oh what Ohio State gets criticized for scheduling too easy? Well maybe your AD should have been a bit more strategic and not scheduled you so many difficult games.

easy schedule + 0 losses > hard schedule + 1 or more loss every single time

Not losing a game trumps all other criteria, always. It trumps MOV and style points and schedule strength. However, somehow, people do their very best to forget this very basic fact.

Reading more stuff on reddit especially as it relates to the Harris poll and those people basically being encouraged by ESPN to drop OSU as far as 7th even if they win this weekend has me sweating again...lol. People on reddit reminding everyone of the coaches doing something similar in 2004. Some coaches dropped Cal as far as 8th to ensure they wouldn't get the auto-BCS bid for being in the top 4 allowing Texas to slip into the Rose Bowl instead.

Then you think about how dirty the SEC is. Their coaches will do what they will with regards to their votes and hopefully B1G coaches do their best to help OSU if it comes to that. But the Harris voters... I wouldn't be shocked if SEC boosters made not even very secretive payments to Harris voters to sway them because, as Brad Edwards from ESPN keeps telling the Harris voters, there is no Harris poll next year. They have no vote moving forward regardless. Go out with a bang and screw over OSU!

It'll be unbelievable if that happens but I'm not going to put it past the SEC to do something to try and maintain a presence in the national title game.

Here are the teams that I would favor over Ohio State right now:

FSU

Alabama

Auburn

Just going off what Vegas has to say, they would have FSU and Bama favored over OSU but they actually do have OSU favored against Auburn. It's funny that some ESPN people continue to point out FSU and Bama being favored by x amount of points according to Vegas but you never hear the number for the team everyone is trying to get ahead of OSU right now.

Don't anyone be surprised if, after Auburn wins, they jump Ohio State in the polls and get that second slot.

If I'm Ohio State, I fire up the PR machine to start taking shots at Florida State. I don't stay content with just trying to hold on to #2 and instead create the impression that Florida State really should be the one lobbying for #2. Clemson just got handled by an unimpressive South Carolina team. Florida State has no quality wins beyond that. I'm talking up Michigan State like world beaters. I'm talking up how my starting QB and starting tailback were both out for a quarter of the season and, had they not been, both would be Heisman frontrunners at this point. Put me behind the mic and I'll let the propaganda reign.