$5000 Car: Columbus racing craisglist challenge

accel_is_my_drug

I have 5K to spend on a new beat up daily driver. I do need it to drive across country to start a new job on the west coast..What is the most fun, yet remain somewhat reliable vehicle you can find for 5000 dollars.

Original bugeye wrx? LT-1 F body? Integra GSR?

I have zero brand loyalty, don't even care for FWD or RWD, fun can be lateral acceleration or linear acceleration..

Anything else I should be looking for??

+10.

I've been smitten with my E36 318. It's the tiny-engined Bimmer... but lowered and with strong tires this thing is totally tossable and I'm getting an easy 30+mpg. It's definitely slow getting up an on-ramp, but above 60mph it squirts in-and-out of highway traffic.

I paid $5k for mine, but:

1) I knew the PO

2) It's been modded the way I'd want to do it for no more money out of my pocket

3) It's a convertible

4) No rust, interior is crack-free for plastics/leather. Everything works.

5) It's now got 114k miles and feels more solid (even as a 'vert) than my Passat, Corvette (C4, not saying much there).

Not sure what you'll find AWD-wise for $5k, and I cannot buy another FWD car until my Passat dies. The BMW is perfect for what I need.

I gotta admit, my Civic Si has been my favorite car I have ever owned out of the 30+ I have had over the years. They can be had for that price range too.

Other considerations:

- The 3 series recommendation is dead on

- A clean fox body

- Miata

- A well-maintained DSM (LOL...good luck)

LMFAO I love how he's got 2 different non-negotiable prices (one at the top of the ad, higher prices at the bottom of the ad), both of which are way above book value.

Also, I've seen that guy driving around. He drives the fuck outta that thing.

I never thought of the 3 series BMW, that is a good find. might call them tonight..

I had a 90 DSM once. big 16G, exhaust and S-AFC. I miss it terribly. it was the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I would love one, but wouldn't trust it to make it all the way to the Pacific with out serious electrical gremlins leaving me stranded in Wyoming.