$5000 Car: Columbus racing craisglist challenge

accel_is_my_drug

In Washington, where I am heading, there seems to be a pretty high "subaru tax". I could possible make a little on one of those as well if I find a rust free example here.

The biggest problem is, my current car is a company lease and I will turn that in soon. I need to find something to drive out west and hold on to for a few months until I get settled in...

Maybe give up on the fun to drive portion and find an old accord...

too much indecision.. I have no idea what to do...

In Washington, where I am heading, there seems to be a pretty high "subaru tax". I could possible make a little on one of those as well if I find a rust free example here.

The biggest problem is, my current car is a company lease and I will turn that in soon. I need to find something to drive out west and hold on to for a few months until I get settled in...

Maybe give up on the fun to drive portion and find an old accord...

too much indecision.. I have no idea what to do...

Ahhh...good to know.

I would totally get a Boobaru wagon...even an automatic...and drive that out there. Sell it to some hipster and make your money back once you get settled in and find something more fun to drive.

Yes, if there's profit to be had, Subaru seems wise, but get the automatic (for resale value). Not sure if you can find something with a turbo for your budget, but a 2.5XT Forester would be sweet.

Just curious.. but wouldn't a manual be more "rare" and hold value at least as well as an auto?

Just curious.. but wouldn't a manual be more "rare" and hold value at least as well as an auto?

If you're willing to hold out for the right buyer, yes, but that could take months. You also have to be willing to say "no" to a lowballer, even if it's the only offer you've had in weeks. With an auto, you can ignore the lowballers and still sell it in a week.

hmmm

cheap Silverado or F150? might suck commuting with that downtown... but not the worst idea ever

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4163354246.html

awd v6. Plenty of space for a move and not super terrible on gas. Get a fun car once you settle in and have more to spend.

Why not wait until you're settled in your spot out West to pick up something?

I'd hate for you to blow your load on a "fun" car here in OH when there are a bajillion great, rust-free cars in Cali...

I see you're not going to Cali, but this statement still stands firm.

And when a new Camry blasts you, you'll realize that 13s are the new 15s.

haha Or a MKIII RAV. ;)

P.S. I would suggest grabbing the cleanest 99-00 Si you can find, drive it out west, then double your money on it.

Such as this. Slightly above the budget, but doable with negotiation I believe.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4209250051.html

Decent idea. Just sell it before its stolen once you get there. ;)

I am all over the place with this,, I looked at that exact Volvo this morning, and then looked at Trailblazers.

I think I have severe Automotive hyperactive attention deficit disorder. ..

Volvo Wagons, SUVs,, oh wait,, what about an old 530i?