New Lens Time

wagner

Ok, so I need to replace my dead 18-55.

I really liked the Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC that I rented, but that thing is stupid expensive.

What kind of options are out there that are close to this, or a step below?

So, how about I get an education in what to look for and good lens info in general. In need to get hip in what to look for and what all this jargon means.

With Canon good lens are the L series, anything else is very hit or miss on quality and you can easily have intermittent problems with focusing, ie sometimes will focus a few feet in front or behind target.

In recent years Canon has been updating the L series so you can get older L's for good used prices. I check places like adorama.com to get them since they are a huge store in NYC. The image quality will still be amazing compared to a brand new consumer grade lens.

One of my favorites is the Canon 17-85 IS which is image stabilization. The one I use is an older lens and is not an L series lens but it's still plenty fast enough for cars outside. I have seen several on craigslist used. You may also try Midwest Photo or Cord on 5th avenue as they both have used equipment. My neighbor has one so I get free rental as needed. :) New it's about 500. An Amazon link is below.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-17-85mm-4-5-6-Stabilized-Digital/dp/B0002Y5WXO

If you do go used listen very carefully to the motor as it auto focuses. If you hear any grinding or anything else but smooth operation I would walk away. Good luck.

Personally go with either an L-Lens or this one. The only thing keeping it from being an L Series is the weather sealing and the fact that it is an EF-S made for Crop Body cameras. If you may eventually go full frame, go L-Series.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/425812-USA/Canon_1242B002AA_EF_S_17_55mm_f_2_8_IS.html

Spectacular for indoor car shows, etc. Wide enough, sharp enough and has 4 stop IS.

/thread IMO.

Personally go with either an L-Lens or this one. The only thing keeping it from being an L Series is the weather sealing and the fact that it is an EF-S made for Crop Body cameras. If you may eventually go full frame, go L-Series.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/425812-USA/Canon_1242B002AA_EF_S_17_55mm_f_2_8_IS.html

Spectacular for indoor car shows, etc. Wide enough, sharp enough and has 4 stop IS.

/thread IMO.

Not sure if I will be going to a crop body anytime soon.

I really need something that will do well in low light situations, because drag strips are not the best lit places sometimes.

I also want to invest in a flash as well, I am finding that one will help me a lot in doing feature car shoots.

Not sure if I will be going to a crop body anytime soon.

You mean going away from a crop body? I thought you had a Rebel vs a full frame 5D or 6D, etc... ?

I really need something that will do well in low light situations, because drag strips are not the best lit places sometimes.

Then get a fast lens aka f/2.8 or better. The one I linked you to is great, but doesn't have much of a zoom. It's a good pit area lens for sure. Track side get a 70-200. You won't need IS on it. Sigma's latest version is 100% solid and may save you some coin.

I also want to invest in a flash as well, I am finding that one will help me a lot in doing feature car shoots.

Yep. Get a good 580ex or better, a few diffusers and an off camera bracket and you'll be set.

You mean going away from a crop body? I thought you had a Rebel vs a full frame 5D or 6D, etc... ?

Then get a fast lens aka f/2.8 or better. The one I linked you to is great, but doesn't have much of a zoom. It's a good pit area lens for sure. Track side get a 70-200. You won't need IS on it. Sigma's latest version is 100% solid and may save you some coin.

Yep. Get a good 580ex or better, a few diffusers and an off camera bracket and you'll be set.

Yeah, I meant to put full frame.

I already have a zoom lens (nothing special), but need a new pit lens/ close range deal. I would love to replace both with some nice glass, but can only replace what's broken right now.

Yeah, I meant to put full frame.

I already have a zoom lens (nothing special), but need a new pit lens/ close range deal. I would love to replace both with some nice glass, but can only replace what's broken right now.

Ok. Get the one I linked you to or an L. You will thank.me later. :)

Ok. Get the one I linked you to or an L. You will thank.me later. :)

I will have to look a bit closer at that, I really loved that Tameron I linked, that thing did work :fuckyeah:

That flash just gave me sticker shock, is there something a bit more affordable worth getting?

I have not seen any of the trackside people using anything like that lol.

I will have to look a bit closer at that, I really loved that Tameron I linked, that thing did work :fuckyeah:

That flash just gave me sticker shock, is there something a bit more affordable worth getting?

I have not seen any of the trackside people using anything like that lol.

I have no experience with Tamer on outside they make a good macro lens.

Flash wise if you are outdoors all you will.need is a small external for fill flash. You'll still want a diffuser.

I have no experience with Tamer on outside they make a good macro lens.

Flash wise if you are outdoors all you will.need is a small external for fill flash. You'll still want a diffuser.

I was impressed with their products I have used.

To be honest I really need to step my game up with the new responsibilities I am taking on. This whole media thing is growing bigger and quicker than I thought so I need to get better.

This spring I already have some work lined out for GM High Tech and it *might* end up on the cover so I have to turn in some good stuff.

In Feb. I will be helping cover one of the biggest drag radial races in the country so I have to be locked and loaded.

So feed me links and information so I can do the CR Darkroom crowd proud :fuckyeah:

Mid West photo sells sub $100 manual flash units that will get the job done, but you'll need to learn a bit about lighting and especially off camera lighting. Also about light modifiers such as the mentioned diffuser.

I use at least 4-6 flashes at any wedding and several for engagement stuff and learned a lot from the book "understand exposure" and from reading the "strobist site."