College Football Thread v4.0

bicranium

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring practice started today. Here are a couple reports/summaries from the first day...

1) There is going to be really serious competition at the receiver spots. Was very, very impressed with Corey Smith, Jeff Greene and Michael Thomas. Looked like play makers out there. I know, I know, it's just one practice, and I agree, but that's what it looked like today.

2) Gareon Conley was impressive. He was always around the ball. He made some plays, but even when he didn't make the play, at least he was there and making it tough for the receiver. I know, it's just one practice, and I agree, but that's what it looked like today.

3) Gerd called it. Darron Lee looks like he is currently with the first team defense as a linebacker. Saw him standing next to Trey Johnson and to my eye Lee looks bigger. OSU lists Lee at 6-1, 225. Meyer says he is a legit 4.5 - 4.4 guy. I know, it's just one practice, and I agree, but that's what it looked like today.

4) The athleticism of Johnnie Dixon and Curtis Samuel is apparent on the football field. Even when surrounded by great athletes they stand out for quickness and the ability to cut and change directions. I know, it's just one practice, and I agree, but that's what it looked like today.

5) Jeff Greene caught a number of balls and looked good doing it. He looks like a tight end but plays like a WR. I know, it's just one practice, and I agree, but that's what it looked like today.

6) Dontre Wilson had a good day catching the ball, but appeared to have rolled an ankle and was favoring it some. I know, it's just one practice, and I agree, but that's what it looked like today.

7) You could see why everyone was excited about Jalin Marshall. Had a good day catching the ball and was impressive after the catch. Meyer called him "a completely different football player from last year." I know, it's just one practice, and I agree, but that's what it looked like today.

Dontre is wearing #2 now. You can go ahead and assume it was punishment-related. Johnnie Dixon is in #1.

Corey Smith was the standout WR today, though Wilson and Jalin Marshall made plays as well. Those two were matched up against safeties in the slot and it wasn't good for the defense.

For the most part Vonn Bell lined up at strong safety and Tyvis Powell was a FS. They switched a little. Cam Burrows is Bell's backup. They played a base 4-3 today with no nickel/dime.

Chris Worley was a bit of a surprise at the #2 Sam. It makes sense, but the roster lists him as a safety. He played well tracking down the slot guys.

Eli Apple didn't take reps today. I assume it was a slight injury. He was there.

I can see why they keep giving Marcus Baugh chances.

I thought Cardale Jones had a better day than J.T. Barrett. Stephen Collier got no reps in 7 on 7 or scrimmaging from what I saw.

Billy Price and Joel Hale both repped with the ones, as did Jacoby Boren and Antonio Underwood. Evan Lisle was the #2 RT. Kyle Dodson was the #2 LT.

The DL was Spence, Washington, Bennett, Bosa. Jamal Marcus was #3 viper behind Tyquan Lewis.

• 3 weeks later...

Posting this in the football thread since this is where it's gonna have the biggest impact:

http://www.offtackleempire.com/2014/3/26/5550452/breaking-news-capa-wins-at-nlrb-northwestern-players-to-vote-on

Thoughts?

Obviously this is just the start, and THIS PARTICULAR RULING only applies to private schools, but it sets a precedent and it will likely hit the Supreme Court here before too long.

IMO, unionizing is a very dumb and shortsighted solution to the athlete-student-slave problem. This creates just as many problems as it solves, just at the other end of the spectrum. This might not be a huge deal for the huge big name schools, but this is absolutely going to kill the smaller schools' unprofitable programs.

Posting this in the football thread since this is where it's gonna have the biggest impact:

http://www.offtackleempire.com/2014/3/26/5550452/breaking-news-capa-wins-at-nlrb-northwestern-players-to-vote-on

Thoughts?

Obviously this is just the start, and THIS PARTICULAR RULING only applies to private schools, but it sets a precedent and it will likely hit the Supreme Court here before too long.

IMO, unionizing is a very dumb and shortsighted solution to the athlete-student-slave problem. This creates just as many problems as it solves, just at the other end of the spectrum. This might not be a huge deal for the huge big name schools, but this is absolutely going to kill the smaller schools' unprofitable programs.

you beat me to it, but anyway, I wonder how this is gonna play out, if players do get paid now, how is this gonna effect scholarships, GPA and eligibility rules? also if this is in favor of the players then recruiting is gonna take a HUGE turn, schools who can't pay for talent will be shut out weakening their ability to compete plus whatever conference they're in along with possibly going broke or cutting athletic programs from the least important ones leaving only the big 2(football & basketball) I seriously hope this fails.

• 3 weeks later...

It didn't really say, but I have got to think it's due to depth chart positioning.

Some people are getting a little concerned due to the 15 class only having 2 commits as of now. Granted we are 10 months away from signing day, I think it's a case of people being spoiled the last couple years. I don't know the number of schollies available for this class yet either, I have heard it's going to be a small class though.

The start time for every OSU game should be 3:30 or later.

No argument from me. Hate noon games. Usually end up setting my alarm for 11:50 or so, grabbing some cold pizza from the night before and taking a nap after. It's awful.