You have $50,000 to buy a car.

Dr. Pomade

My experience from when I had my Z06 was that your average Joe or Joette would automatically think the Viper was the superior machine. While the Corvette outperforms in the Viper (and just about every other car) in a lot of different ways, I think most people view the Viper as being a lot more exotic (and, thus, "fast") than a Corvette.

Also, I've never seen any car respond to nitrous the way a Viper does.

Granted, this was regarding the latest gen Viper, but I talked to several journalists and drivers who have hustled the previous ZR1 and the new Viper on a race track, and none of them believe the Motor Trend comparo at Laguna Seca was legit. All have said the Viper is a much faster car and they blame the outcome on a combination of Randy Probst's ability behind the wheel and GM sending doctored cars with higher HP (as seen by Edmunds on the dyno).

Even so, the Viper is much more exclusive and more hand built.

I would still have a hard time justifying a used Viper over the other cars suggested in this thread.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I had no idea you could get the Maserati for 50k now. .

There is a reason they depreciate so badly...

For 50k- My pics-

4 Door-CTS-V-use leftover $$ for Pulley and a tune-cut mufflers off :gabe: 10 sec American sledgehammer

2 Door Saloon- 07 up Jag XK. You dont see many, Super Comfy. Sounds great with an exhaust, looks like a 250k Vanquish-can sneak into an Xk-R for 50k

Why not car-A/C Cobra REP with the biggest huffer I could hang off the thing.

• 3 weeks later...
444hp stock.. just throwing it out there for you to shoot down.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=365858706

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/544/408/images/2014/2/20/365/858/36659449926.365858706.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Can't argue that. Sounds like you have a very narrow scope and may have to make some sacrifices.

I'm not capping my next car at $50K. This thread was more for entertainment value. But, you're absolutely right - I do have a very narrow scope for what I want.

:confused:

The GT3 RS 4.0 was the last of the Metzger Engine in the street car. With the 2014 GT3 they moved away from the Metzger block in favor of newer, cleaner and cheaper technology much to the dismay of the purists who own the current generation of cars. Just like they shit on the manual transmission they also shit on the heritage that came with that particular engine. Back in the day that motor was developed and raced FIRST and then put in the street car in order to meet racing regulations. What that provided was an over-engineered solution in the street cars that everyone has come to know and love.

So the new GT3 has a new design motor. The rub is the current race cars still have the Metzger engine sparking even more debate.

The result??? on 2/22 Porsche issued an order to all owners to stop driving any '14 GT3 that had already been delivered. They sent flat bed trucks to pick them all up, dealers had to stop delivering cars and every car that came into the country is being held in shipping port. Turns out there's an issue with the connecting rod bolts backing out causing engine failure which is bad enough BUT the engine failures are resulting in engine fires which will completely burn the car to the ground in the event that it happens. Every single '14 GT3 is going to have to get a replacement engine to fix the problem. They are still working on the "fix" and have not even started building replacement engines yet. Meanwhile cars are just sitting waiting for a resolution. I love Porsche but they really f'ed up on the new car on soo many different levels. That's the driving force behind the values of 3.8 RS and 4.0 RS cars in the current market. That 4.0 was Maybe a $200k car NEW to give you some perspective. The 4.0 market has cooled off a little some but most are still fetching > 300k.

IMO hang onto the money and enjoy looking. If you don't know it the instant you see/drive the car, then it's not the right car. 6 pages on CR says you've not come across the right one.

Convertible at all? Something you'll keep in the third garage for many years or is this just a fling car?