WTF I hate not getting any lube! - Rant

TTQ B4U

Rant thread......fucking hate being reamed in the ass by home improvement crap!

One of our properties not within driving distance needs a hot water tank installed and I'll be damned if everyone is trying to stick it to me....or at least I think so.

$1,400 for a 50 gal gas water heater including installation and a damn permit! Hell, I don't even think I paid a permit when installing my own. I wish I could get there and do it myself.

aRHHHH!!!!

The permit was news to me when I had called to have a new water heater installed a month ago. Schedule the appointment, don't miss it. It will cost you $175 (if I remember correctly) to reschedule.

City wants to make sure it was installed to code, or just collect money to slap a sticker on your new tank.

Just did that. One of our two went out. Replaced with a Rheem (no pun intended) Professional 50 gal. $917.60 which included the permit, new drain pan and re running the drain piping as required by new code.

Either somebody is writing in some 'additional dealer profit' or your job is more complicated in some way.

Just did that. One of our two went out. Replaced with a Rheem (no pun intended) Professional 50 gal. $917.60 which included the permit, new drain pan and re running the drain piping as required by new code.

Either somebody is writing in some 'additional dealer profit' or your job is more complicated in some way.

It does have some additional plumbing running to a heating system but nothing crazy. Just some additional connections. I'm still awaiting a final number. I'm just pissed that labor rates are that high for a job that should take but a handful of hours.

You guys really are spending needless dollars getting permits for a water heater. Not needed if you use a reputable company.

It does have some additional plumbing running to a heating system but nothing crazy. Just some additional connections. I'm still awaiting a final number. I'm just pissed that labor rates are that high for a job that should take but a handful of hours.

Is it a furnace that uses the water when it runs? If so those are much more expensive. DO NOT replace it with a home depot water heater. They need much higher btu output to operate correctly. There is a condo complex in Hilliard that uses these and they learned the hard way when their maintenance man replaced a bunch of water heaters for owners just to have us come back and put the right ones in. If you have questions send me a pm.

And for those of you talking about home depot and Lowe's water heaters, almost all of them are made at a cheaper quality than ones that a contractor sells. They are cheaper for a reason. I am a rheem dealer and I just attended a meeting held to inform us that next month home depot will be selling rheem water heaters. The reason it is a big deal for us is that customers will see a huge price difference meaning home depot will be much cheaper. But, to protect the contractors, the line manufactured for home depot will be utilizing cheaper metals internally as well as plastic gas valves and drain valves externally instead of our steel and brass. At a price difference of all but $120. May sound like a lot until you consider the length of warranties and time between replacements.

Permits are "required". Many localities look past jobs such as water heaters as it is simple and not a huge deal. Permits are in place to protect the consumer. If you have someone you ha e used and trusted for many years you can slide under the radar. Of course if you feel better about getting one by all means do so. Just don't feel bullied into it if you feel fine with not doing so. Columbus on the other hand, that's a different story depending on where in the city you live. They are like vultures there.

So, what I understand is that you don't mind the D in the A but you put your foot down to no lube.

Oh, and that installing your new water heater is going to cost you. ;)

If it makes you feel any better I had to blow $20 on a water heater insulated wrap a couple weeks ago.

:gabe:

The City of Columbus has many distinctions about permits...painting a house doens't require one...new windows does...Water heaters do...eventually, we will be like Cleveland and unable to sell a house without EVERYTHING being up to code...this generates a lot of income for the city with inspections and permits.

The contractor and my wife are going to "discuss" our disagreements or end up in arbitration/court for some pretty poor consumer practices. They are trying to fuck with us on the costs of parts, etc. IMO because they think being 8-9hrs away is going to cause me to pay crazystupidassprices. Doubtful.