Lets Talk Glass For Car Pictures

wagner

What do you shoot with and why?

Right now I've got a Canon 2.8 17-55 and 5.6 70-300 that I use on my 70D.

I use the 17-55 for everything fron trackside work to doing photo shoots.

I have not used the 70-300 on the 70D myself, but my wife used it at the track day with good results.

Right now I'm stuck on what glass to invest in next. I would love to get a great 70-200, but would a 50mm do better for my most hated interior car shots?

You should probably pick up a 50mm F/1.8 just because they are between $50-100.

Though you should note that 50mm on a crop body seems pretty long due to the crop. You can set your 17-55 at 50mm and walk around with it to see what I mean. On a full frame I love the 50, its makes an excellent general purpose lens.

For my 40D I picked up a 16-35 L II. It makes a great general purpose lens for that body and still gets pretty wide. On the full frame the 16mm end gets everything in view.

If your current lenses are working fine, you have a pretty good range. I have an old 70-300 that I never used, probably used it a couple times and never again. It was so slow to focus and very basic. I use 70-200L 2.8 as a walk around lens on my 5D. Even at a wedding I can shoot 90% of the photos with it. Though it probably makes a better "people" lens than car lens when your in tight.

What do you shoot with and why?

Right now I've got a Canon 2.8 17-55 and 5.6 70-300 that I use on my 70D.

I use the 17-55 for everything fron trackside work to doing photo shoots.

I have not used the 70-300 on the 70D myself, but my wife used it at the track day with good results.

Right now I'm stuck on what glass to invest in next. I would love to get a great 70-200, but would a 50mm do better for my most hated interior car shots?

Stick with your 17-55 for interior work. It's a top notch lens and the only reasons it's not an L-Series is that it's an EF-S crop body only lens and it lacks weather seals. Neither matter for what you're doing.

I'd replace the 70-300 with the latest Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. It's 95%+ what the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 is for 1/2 the price. Seriously, the new version is that good.

The 50 f/1.8 is okay but it's bokeh isn't great and it's slow. Again, stick with your 17-55.

Outside the Sigma, your next investment will be a full frame camera with a 24-70L ;)

Stick with your 17-55 for interior work. It's a top notch lens and the only reasons it's not an L-Series is that it's an EF-S crop body only lens and it lacks weather seals. Neither matter for what you're doing.

I'd replace the 70-300 with the latest Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. It's 95%+ what the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 is for 1/2 the price. Seriously, the new version is that good.

The 50 f/1.8 is okay but it's bokeh isn't great and it's slow. Again, stick with your 17-55.

Outside the Sigma, your next investment will be a full frame camera with a 24-70L ;)

Well this and what Tractor says confirms what I was kind of thinking. I might just save up for a nice 70-200 and call it a day.

I was just trying to see if there was a better lens to help me with these interior shots. I need to also learn how to use my speedlight, but that is cooking my brian big time.

Why is no one suggesting you start working on a good lighting setup?

Your 17-55 is a good lens for what you do, and the trackside stuff seems to work well for you as well.

This guy wants meticulous detail shots, at high apetures, so.. lighting seems to be the way he should be moving.

I'd rather see you pick up one of these bad boys..

http://www.paulcbuff.com/fsb.php

and an alienbee and a nice large reflector like this. http://www.amazon.com/Interfit-INT271-Reflector-35-Inchx70-Inch-Bracket/dp/B0024NKHA4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399997876&sr=1-3&keywords=Large+reflector

He could set this up on one side of hte car and reflector on the other, and get all the lighting he needs inside the car, while he's shooting.

Edited by damreds

Why is no one suggesting you start working on a good lighting setup?

Your 17-55 is a good lens for what you do, and the trackside stuff seems to work well for you as well.

This guy wants meticulous detail shots, at high apetures, so.. lighting seems to be the way he should be moving.

I'd rather see you pick up one of these bad boys..

http://www.paulcbuff.com/fsb.php

and an alienbee and a nice large reflector like this. http://www.amazon.com/Interfit-INT271-Reflector-35-Inchx70-Inch-Bracket/dp/B0024NKHA4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399997876&sr=1-3&keywords=Large+reflector

He could set this up on one side of hte car and reflector on the other, and get all the lighting he needs inside the car, while he's shooting.

What's funny is I talked with some of the staff at Midwest and they said I was doing everything 100% correct, they said he does not know what he even wants :fuckyeah:

I do want to invest in lighting to give me more options on what I can do. I need to figure out how to use this speedlight first :lolguy:

I skip the middle range and go wide (I use the Tokina 16-28/2.8 on full-frame) or then long with the 200/2. Those are my two favorite ATM. If I was shooting at the track I would bring along the 70-200/2.8 for sure. I will be shooting Mark's car at Norwalk this weekend and will be using those three 99% of the time.

Oh, and my answer varies a little depending on if you are talking about a "Shoot" Vs track-side shooting. For a planned shoot I would get lighting and a Rig first. For track-side shooting the 70-200/2.8 is what I would add first.

Jeff

I skip the middle range and go wide (I use the Tokina 16-28/2.8 on full-frame) or then long with the 200/2. Those are my two favorite ATM. If I was shooting at the track I would bring along the 70-200/2.8 for sure. I will be shooting Mark's car at Norwalk this weekend and will be using those three 99% of the time.

Oh, and my answer varies a little depending on if you are talking about a "Shoot" Vs track-side shooting. For a planned shoot I would get lighting and a Rig first. For track-side shooting the 70-200/2.8 is what I would add first.

Jeff

I will be doing a little bit of both this weekend at Norwalk so that should be fun :)

I will be doing a little bit of both this weekend at Norwalk so that should be fun :)

See you there :)

Oh, and let me know if you want me to bring anyting else. I am Nikon but you are more than welcome to try out whatever you want.

Jeff

What's funny is I talked with some of the staff at Midwest and they said I was doing everything 100% correct, they said he does not know what he even wants :fuckyeah:

I do want to invest in lighting to give me more options on what I can do. I need to figure out how to use this speedlight first :lolguy:

See!!! I'm not crazy- that dude is a loon!

See you there :)

Oh, and let me know if you want me to bring anyting else. I am Nikon but you are more than welcome to try out whatever you want.

Jeff

I might take you up on that. I have a feeling this will be the standard 2 day deal for me where I'm running around like a nut job trying to get everything done.

I've got a few must get shots I want to get along with some other stuff.

See!!! I'm not crazy- that dude is a loon!

I've got more stories for you :)