Classic VW

Forrest Gump 9

After lusting over some Porsches and I ended up with another AMG, I'm kinda wanting something different. I want to get into some classic VW.

I've never own a VW, so I don't even know where to start. But an old beetle or a Karmann Ghia is not too complex right? Please school me on those two.

The pedals are REALLY close together. With my foot (size 11.5 New Balance) on the Gas Pedal, touching the "hump"... I scrape the Brake. Not a whole lot of legroom for 6', but not bad.

$3k will get you a decent, running project.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

I have owned several of them. This may sound somewhat odd but to make it easier, I would buy engine/transmission/suspension before getting the car and look to buy a clean shell. The money you spent on a stroker engine that comes with the car will more than likely end up down the drain. The good thing is that there are still shit tons of parts available for them. The magazine's you would want to read are hot vw's and vw trends if they are still around. Thesamba and shoptalkforums are great forums to ask around on. I havent been around aircooled vw's for over 5 years so I know other sites may have popped up. The engine I would honestly go for in a street car is a turbo 2332cc low compression engine with a mild cam. It would be streetable and you could still run the stock gears ratios in the trans. The problem with big cam/high compression engines and trans with shorter 3rd/4th gears is that you have to drive about 50 mph on the freeway and can only get about a good 20-30 minutes of driving before let the engine cool down... shit gets old quick. It honestly doesn't matter if you go ghia or bug body wise due to you can order just about any sheet metal you need to replace the bad spots. It's fairly easy to run a decent size tire in the back, you can narrow the housings and get stub axles. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure CB performance has valve train now that allows you to run higher lift cams without having to constantly replace the springs every 5-10k miles at best. If your engine swaps, you can buy a kennedy adapter plate and run the sti engines. The benefit is you have a dohc engine, but the downside is you have less control over the cc size of the engine. Lots and lots of options for you. Just depends which route you want to go.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/album.php?albumid=891

I can get you in contact with the owner of this. He parked it some time back in the 70s in a shed. I have gotten in it a few times. Seems like it would be a lot of fun.

Edited by Captain_Panic
Added album

Ghia > Beetle.

Would love to see a cool swap in a Ghia...

WRX Swap?

Ghia is one of the most beautiful body styles ever created.

Google search the ghia with a viper engine. That's a badass car.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/album.php?albumid=891

I can get you in contact with the owner of this. He parked it some time back in the 70s in a shed. I have gotten in it a few times. Seems like it would be a lot of fun.

Intrigue, what is it?

That's lovely but too nice for me. I'm a speed freak at heart so I want something to play with.

Have anyone crazy enough to do a rotary swap in one of these?

I have a 1970 Beetle. You want a 67, the bumpers are cooler.

I did a new motor in mine from Scat. I have 4 wheel discs on it as well. I haven't driven it in a while but I am happy I did the work on it.

Ghia is a "more fun" car but I have pulled into places with my 70 and my friends 427 390hp 67 Vette Convertible and I have gathered a crowd.

Central Ohio Vintage Volkswagens can probably help.

I have a '76 Super Beetle convertible, triple white car. I have had it since '84 and people love them. Ghias are cool. If you don't want a modified VW, a later fuel injected Beetle doesn't have the "Beetle sound", is quieter and has a much better heater due to improved heat exchangers.