Car shopping, need opinions...

HotCarl

Ok I'm not Mowgli, I don't have bags of rare gold coins and precious diamonds hidden under my mattress so lets keep this realistic.

-Price point $17,000ish (i would go a bit over if I really liked the car)

-Needs to be a daily, i drive a lot between work and school.

-Needs to haul shit (hockey bag/sticks, bike, camping gear, etc...)

-Prefer low mile used (think lease turn in's) i don't buy new but i keep my cars a long time. So nothing over 100k miles etc. I've had my current Jetta 9 years now.

I like trucks (no dodge's) but hard to convince myself it would make a reasonable daily driver.

After looking around i narrowed it down to a Subaru Legacy (awd goodness), or Honda Accord (boring but reliable) but want other options before I pull the trigger. Suggestions?

Legacy gets my vote. Mine's 7 years old and doing well. Last car was a Legacy and had it for 5 years and it was great. I would consider and Outback of you need more room. I do not care about look, or image. The functionality of an Outback is appealing. Edited by Mojoe

WRX Wagon/Hatch (any year but 2008).

Legacy gets my vote.

OP, this is about the boat I was in last year, but finally decided to go a different (cost) direction. I was looking for an 06-07 WRX Wagon, 05 Legacy GT or 06 Saab 92x. But I'm a huge fan of a hatch/wagon, AWD, manual, turbo cars. If that fit's what you might be looking for, you're pretty much limited to Subarus unless there's something I overlooked in my previous search.

In general, the 06-07 WRX is going to be easier to find that the other 2.

I looked at those specific years due to cost, specs (2.5L for WRX started in 06), and availability of a manual (LGT wagon of that gen only had a manual in 05). I was looking to spend 13k-15k last year. You might be in a different boat, but hopefully this could give you a starting point.

Could you get into an 09 WRX wagon for that price now? I would kick myself for not getting an 11, but maybe because (I think) the 11's are sought after and 09 is 2 years older you might be able to find some 'deals'.

Not that he's put this criteria down yet, I'm interested. Can you get a recent version in a wagon in a manual (or even DCT)?

That's a big YES on Avant's having sticks. They are harder to come by, but worth the search. I love a lotta cars, but my Passat has been a trooper for the last 14 years and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2000+ A4/A6 with a manual if the deal and mileage were good because of my experience.

Plus, A4's really do look great.