KTM Show up and Ride @ MidOhio

ousley99

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everytime you post, know what your talking about, or at least have a valid reason for believing it so you dont make yourself look like a jackass and waste our time, now everyone who is interested in the ride has to scroll through all your squid mumbling to read more of this thread

:cheers:

Better is variable. What if I say the requierment for better is the one that fits tall people best. RC8 wins. Sound? RC8.

It's subjective.

If you're talking about lap times...you really think you are good enough to realize the difference? Doubtful.

Not to take sides, but it isn't going to stack up well against the 1000...

:lol: ok so you dont know shit about ktm or twins, you are just extremely brand loyal to the point where everything but suzukis suck.

:cheers:

I probably have more seat time on an RC8 and a 600/750/1000 at the track than most people. Not bragging, but just stating to validate my point. The RC8 is more close to a 750 than a 1000. In race trim, it could be competitive slightly with a tuned 750, but against the same tuned 1000 or just in stock form, it will fall short.

The bike handles VERY well. Much like a 600 in terms of direction change. However, it falls short on power delivery. Twins are cool in terms of torque, but understand that torque helps out, but isn't the basis of everything that needs to be measured.

The RC8 is cool. Is it 1098S good? I believe it isn't. That means it falls short of the 1098R, as well. Which after riding it quite a while, it certainly isn't GSXR1000 or R1 or ZX10 or CBR1000 good.

The handling could help it out, but the edge it would have over some of the 1000s, isn't enough. I would bet that against an 08/09 GSXR750, it would be fairly equal even though it has a tad bit more power to the ground than the Zook does. I don't believe the 138 at the ground, though. I think it is more like 125-ish... That's well short of what any of the 1000s have. This is not being brand loyal...

Overall, really cool bike and really cool features, but in the end, the competition it is pitted against is pretty tough. The new Aprilia V4 coming soon, the 1198 that is here and the in-line 1000s that are new for 2009 are going to make this bike old within a year of it being out.

Now, sound and everything? The 1098S and R are much better sounding. It is tough as the exhaust is out the bottom and doesn't sound as good as the Ducs do. My $.02 as that is opinion only.

Compared to a 1098S that I have a lot of seat time on and set-up trials on, the RC8 isn't as good. If you were to take an RC8 and a 1098S and use one rider that has never ridden them, that rider would go faster on the 1098S.

Just got off the phone with Debbie at MidOh regarding this:

Rain Policy = same at STT, you will run in the rain, but if the event is canceled for some reason they would offer credit per their normal policy

Required Equipment = Same as STT; leathers, boots, gauntlet gloves, SNELL / ECE helmet.

*Insurance Policy* = Waiver says you're responsible for all damage, no cost ceiling, so be prepared to buy a SuperDuke if you REALLY screw up.

Other Requirements/Misc = There was a rumor that you had to have an endorsement on your drivers license (wouldn't affect me - I have one, I just thought I'd ask), but Debbie said that was untrue - they will check your age, but other than that, you're good to go.

I'd love to do this, but knowing that I could be on the hook for $14k doesn't sound as appetizing as if I'd wad up my $5k SV.

Other Requirements/Misc = There was a rumor that you had to have an endorsement on your drivers license (wouldn't affect me - I have one, I just thought I'd ask), but Debbie said that was untrue - they will check your age, but other than that, you're good to go.

Are you for sure on this ?

Hmmm... Im gonna sign up if a license isnt required...

Just got off the phone with Debbie at MidOh regarding this:

*Insurance Policy* = Waiver says you're responsible for all damage, no cost ceiling, so be prepared to buy a SuperDuke if you REALLY screw up

Shit I almost signed up......but now.....:confused:

That is freakin' awesome...I'm really considering doing this. I'd be all over track riding if I had the resources to do so, but 195$ and no risk to my own ride is a killer deal :eek:

My thoughts too, until Justin just stated there's no "damage ceiling"

TITS or GTFO

Why don't you both sign up and see if either of you can handle the Superduke? Then you can sword fight on who gets the RC8.

lol.gif HAAA....You go Justin!! fight.gif

b111106232958-20080611093727-not_th.jpg

Update: This is 100% sold out. I called today to get a spot and the May and July dates are gone.

So, anyone have a spot they want to sell? I was going to post up on the STT forum as well.

Why not just come to a regular event? The KTM event is the same price and I can guarantee, they won't have 60 bikes so everyone can ride 100% of the time...

Plus, the Duke 990 is a fun machine, but it gets pretty old after a few sessions...

Why not just come to a regular event? The KTM event is the same price and I can guarantee, they won't have 60 bikes so everyone can ride 100% of the time...

Plus, the Duke 990 is a fun machine, but it gets pretty old after a few sessions...

I'll be doing the regular event too, but I wanted to do the KTM for a number of reasons:

1) I figure my SV1000S will be almost identical to the SuperDuke - powerwise

2) I don't have to prep the SV for the KTM events - they do all the work, their tires, their gas, their maintenance

3) Logistically, I can just drive down with my gear as opposed to getting someone to help me load and unload the bike out of the back of my lifted truck - If I can avoid inconveniencing someone else if at all possible, I will - I just want to safely load and unload the bike, and that takes two people for me. Luckily (or unluckily) my g/f just got laid off, so she'll probably be available to help. A couple guys on here have offered the use of their trailer or help going to MidOh or Nelson - which I greatly appreciate, but I still feel like it's inconveniencing them.

4) All for the same price as if I did it myself with my own equipment.

5) When's the next time I'll get to ride, let alone flog a $14k bike? Probably never.

Edited by JRMMiii

I'll be doing the regular event too, but I wanted to do the KTM for a number of reasons:

1) I figure my SV1000S will be almost identical to the SuperDuke - powerwise

2) I don't have to prep the SV for the KTM events - they do all the work, their tires, their gas, their maintenance

3) Logistically, I can just drive down with my gear as opposed to getting someone to help me load and unload the bike out of the back of my lifted truck - If I can avoid inconveniencing someone else if at all possible, I will - I just want to safely load and unload the bike, and that takes two people for me. Luckily (or unluckily) my g/f just got laid off, so she'll probably be available to help. A couple guys on here have offered the use of their trailer or help going to MidOh or Nelson - which I greatly appreciate, but I still feel like it's inconveniencing them.

4) All for the same price as if I did it myself with my own equipment.

5) When's the next time I'll get to ride, let alone flog a $14k bike? Probably never.

1) SV is a different animal than the Duke is.

2) There's little to no prep needed. Honestly, it would take about 30 minutes at most to get your bike ready.

3) We have TONS of people that can help at the track. I am sure you could find someone to help you load.

4) Again, you are probably going to be getting less track time as the classes will be close to 60 in total. There will be people bringing their own bikes for sure, but a lot of people will have to wait until a bike is free...

5) Flogging is not going to be tolerated. We will be watching rather closely to make sure the bikes are not abused. If we catch people beating the shit out of the bikes, they will be asked to leave - right after we get an itemized list of repairs or wear casued from such abuse. This is a ride and try type of deal - not beat the shit out of a rebtal car type of thing...

KTM will be there and they will rely on us to police the riders. I have one of the Dukes that will be ridden and I will not allow someone to beat the hell out of a bike I will be riding at times at speed during certain class sessions.

Maybe I misused the word 'flog'... to me, flogging it means riding it how it was meant to be ridden. High RPMs, accelerating and decelerating through the gears at a higher pace, leaning it over, etc. - stuff you don't need to do or can't safely do on the street. I use the term flogging because compared to the street riding I do 90% of the time - it is flogging it, but well within the limits with which the machine was built.

'Flogging' to me does not mean wheelies, stoppies, and general hooliganism.

Maybe I misused the word 'flog'... to me, flogging it means riding it how it was meant to be ridden. High RPMs, accelerating and decelerating through the gears at a higher pace, leaning it over, etc. - stuff you don't need to do or can't safely do on the street. I use the term flogging because compared to the street riding I do 90% of the time - it is flogging it, but well within the limits with which the machine was built.

'Flogging' to me does not mean wheelies, stoppies, and general hooliganism.

Gotcha. Fair enough.

I went through all of these details as well. I found a few useful things out

Mid-OH says you are responsible for the whole bike. If you talk to the people at KTM they say maximum of 1500 euros.

Also, if you are with progressive or State farm you are covered but not with Geico.

Having said that, I have an advanced day on may 28th for sale. See my other thread.

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=26724

• 2 weeks later...

4) Again, you are probably going to be getting less track time as the classes will be close to 60 in total. There will be people bringing their own bikes for sure, but a lot of people will have to wait until a bike is free...

I didn't see anything stating we need to wait in line for the bike. If thats the case I'm bringing my own bike:rolleyes: