Why you don't stand on the brakes....

wagner

Well his dad is the legend dan fletcher and it looked like he was on the brakes at or before the stripe. Whats his take on it... at face value it does look like he slammed the brakes but maybe something else happened?

Yeah, from what I read he got a light strapped on him by Biondo (another legend and amazing racer) and tried to play games with him at the top end. He went to dump at the top end and the car just locked up on him.

He still got on it a bit late and I bet Dan busted his ass back at the trailer.

When I was up at Norwalk at the D3 race I saw both the Fletcher's just CRUSH people at both ends of the track. When it comes to racing stock and super stock these guys are some of the best.

I guess I don't see the problem....Its Racing, shit happens. He kept it out of the other car and off the wall.....Good job if you ask me.

Its a big time no-no to dump that hard at the big end, for this very reason. I've seen a few close close like this and seen people get thrown out even after winning.

That looked like pure luck to me.

Anytime something bad happens at the top end there is a huge amount of luck needed to keep something from going really bad. You guess right, get some luck, (like this guy) and things end ok.

Yeah, from what I read he got a light strapped on him by Biondo (another legend and amazing racer) and tried to play games with him at the top end. He went to dump at the top end and the car just locked up on him.

You've got me really curious but I don't understand of word of this. Can you translate for those of us who are drag-racing retarded?

You've got me really curious but I don't understand of word of this. Can you translate for those of us who are drag-racing retarded?

Bracket and index racing both have 2 very imporant parts: Cutting your light (reaction time) and how you "play the stripe" or finish line.

When you set your dial in for the pass you need to give yourself a little wiggle room to slow down or speed up based on what your car is doing and what the person you are racing is doing. That is why you will here guys on and off the gas at the top end, or really on the brakes.

In this case the silver car (Biondo) got to leave first since his index is a bit slower. He had a really good reaction time, so that puts even more pressure on Fletcher to cut a good light to be able to catch him down track.

Well, fletcher did not cut a good light and had to stay in it a lot longer than he wanted. He tried to stay in it longer to get Biondo to stay in the run longer and break out (run quicker than your dial in and that's how you loose in bracket racing).

Well Biondo being the stone cold killer he is just kept doing his thing, fletcher realized he was fucked, stood on the brakes, and about wrecked both cars.

Does that make sense? There is a whole lot more to bracket racing than just mashing the gas, you have to know your car and be able to drive it.

Makes sense, thanks much for the explanation! So are they watching a timer in the car, or do they just go on instinct at the end of the track?

No timer in the car, that is a HUGE no-no and will get you banned for life from any track (Norwalk Dirty Dozen).

You have to go off your instinct at the top end and based on what the person you are running is doing.

I have done this before when I knew I had someone covered and made them break out. Its like playing chicken without hitting someone head on.

• Upvote 1

Basically if you cut a .020 light and other guy is .080 and you run close to your dial you probably have a whole car and a half at the finish to slow down with and not break out. If you are the bad light guy you prob cant get to the finish the same time other guy does so you dump him hoping he breaks out. Edited by SHIEF
matty box