Interview Questions

wagner

I went though an interview process at Cardinal last month that was kind of crazy, at least for me.

Total of 6 interviews, 3 with VPs, 2 with Directors, and one screening interview with the HR droid.

I have no idea if I got this job, nobody has got back to me either way so I'm going to start getting ready to apply for more jobs and want to address some questions they tossed at me.

I'm looking for ways to better reply to:

1. "Why are you looking for a new job" also asked as "Why are you looking to leave your current company/position?"

2. "Do you have any questions for me about the position?"

I would like to here some useful ideas on how to attack these going forward.

If there are any other tricky questions people can think of, have been asked, or ask during interviews I would love to hear them and a good answer. I have to get out of my current job or it will end up killing me :(

Why are you looking for a new job? I have always answered that its not challenging me, or since my job is prone to commision an acceptible reason in how their changed management or policies always seems acceptable.

Do you have any questions for me? I always pause, and act like I'm pondering for a couple seconds, and if i really don't have any i compliment them on thoroughly explaining it to me.

A job interview in my opinion is mostly confidence without coming off arrogant, and having a plesent attitude. I have only had a couple interviews that didn't lead to a job offer, and I've had a lot of jobs. The others likely had somebody friend of a friend involved. You'll get something, just keep at it I'm sure your field is tougher to get a job in then mine.

1. Why are you looking for a new job?

Why are you looking for a new job? I can help you make it sound "good".

2. Do you have any questions for us?

I'd need to know what job you applied for... But the premise of this question is to see if you are in fact interested, your level of interest, and it proves that you are "internalizing" the idea of making the move if offered.

As a note, I interviewed for a job in Chicago recently (got a recruiting call, entered the process). When speaking with the recruiter I asked a few basic questions. Once I interviewed with the VP I asked a MILLION questions. Because, I wanted to make sure it was a worthwhile move for me.... It was a leadership position (Director of Opps for a big staffing firm)

Here are just a few that I can remember:

What is the projected revenue for the group in 2014?

What was the revenue last year? Year before?

How did profit percentage play out in all three years?

^^^ I asked that group of questions just to see if the "unit" was growing or sinking. And then, based on the profitability percentages each year (which were decreasing I asked "why"?

Another example of a question (or group of questions)

Tell me about the culture and personality types within the group?

Staff break down? (# recruiters, sourcers, account managers, managers, etc)

What is the "attitude" of the group? Is it what you want? What changes need to be made? (I ask this because sales people tend to have egos, and big egos can ruin a group).

What is the single biggest struggle you wish you could change within the group or about the group's dynamic?

^^^ This string of questions was to help me understand "As a 31 year-old, can I go in there as head of a department and be respected, known as a leader, and get off on the right foot"

Again, I asked all of these because I WANTED TO MAKE SURE IT WAS WORTH IT FOR ME.

Brian, I can cite 3-4 more examples. maybe we should take this offline and I can learn more about how I can help you.

I am looking for a new job because there is no future for me where I'm at. I am one of the best at what I do and have hit the limit of where I can go.

There is limited growth or movement, and its even worse because of the way favorites are played.

It really has turned into this bizzaro adult high school thing and is made worse by the fact top level management put the clamps down on bonus potential, raises, perks, ect so they can "grow" how much money we make (i.e. fake growth to get more budget).

I have no desire to move to any of the other offices in the company due to the limits that would follow at some point.

Yes Bob, maybe meeting offline and having some beers would help me figure this out a bit more.

I just know that I have no future here and it really is time to get the hell off this train before it gets any worse.

1. Why are you looking for a new job?

Why are you looking for a new job? I can help you make it sound "good".

2. Do you have any questions for us?

I'd need to know what job you applied for... But the premise of this question is to see if you are in fact interested, your level of interest, and it proves that you are "internalizing" the idea of making the move if offered.

As a note, I interviewed for a job in Chicago recently (got a recruiting call, entered the process). When speaking with the recruiter I asked a few basic questions. Once I interviewed with the VP I asked a MILLION questions. Because, I wanted to make sure it was a worthwhile move for me.... It was a leadership position (Director of Opps for a big staffing firm)

Here are just a few that I can remember:

What is the projected revenue for the group in 2014?

What was the revenue last year? Year before?

How did profit percentage play out in all three years?

^^^ I asked that group of questions just to see if the "unit" was growing or sinking. And then, based on the profitability percentages each year (which were decreasing I asked "why"?

Another example of a question (or group of questions)

Tell me about the culture and personality types within the group?

Staff break down? (# recruiters, sourcers, account managers, managers, etc)

What is the "attitude" of the group? Is it what you want? What changes need to be made? (I ask this because sales people tend to have egos, and big egos can ruin a group).

What is the single biggest struggle you wish you could change within the group or about the group's dynamic?

^^^ This string of questions was to help me understand "As a 31 year-old, can I go in there as head of a department and be respected, known as a leader, and get off on the right foot"

Again, I asked all of these because I WANTED TO MAKE SURE IT WAS WORTH IT FOR ME.

Brian, I can cite 3-4 more examples. maybe we should take this offline and I can learn more about how I can help you.

The most important thing in any interview is to have relaxed conversation type answers while keeping them technically correct and not saying any red flags.

1. The right answer is the honest one but work on how you spin it so it's very positive, employers know the rehearsed answers just like interviewees do. If I interview someone with all canned answers I throw them out thinking their real story must be so bad they don't want me to know.

2. Before the interview, research the job and company. Write out 10-15 questions about these and make sure you cross them out if they volunteer the answer during the process. When they ask if you have any questions, you don't have to think and you will likely write down the response on a sheet filled with info. Good questions will focus on long term viability of the position and company showing an interest in long term employment.

I am looking for a new job because there is no future for me where I'm at. I am one of the best at what I do and have hit the limit of where I can go.

There is limited growth or movement, and its even worse because of the way favorites are played.

I just know that I have no future here and it really is time to get the hell off this train before it gets any worse.

That is your answer, minus the "best at what I do". I've done 100's, maybe closer to 1,000 interviews, and if someone said they're the best at what they do, I'd likely disqualify them.

Sucks to hear Cardinal didn't get back to you, I know when we were emailing it sounded good.

I just switched jobs and when they asked me why I was looking, I indicated I was passively looking because 5 years at my current company I'd be at "point X" and 5 years with this company I'd be at "point Y". That was the truth, but I also couldn't stand to be in the same zip code as my boss. Miserable, miserable fuck that tried to pass her pathetic life down to me. But the main reason I left was because of growth potential. A perfectly acceptable answer.

If you don't have any questions at the end, then you don't have any questions. BUT, as the other person said, I'd recommend asking about the culture of the company and the environment, and I ALWAYS ask what their expectations for the role are moving forward, and I always ask about the strengths and weaknesses of the state of the department.

Another tip: Know you who're interviewing with. I researched all 6 people I interviewed with prior to going in. When I told one of them I see they went to my alma mater, they looked like they were going to splooge on the spot. People respect it when you take the time to research. LinkedIn is your friend!

Hey Wagner,

If this is Cardinal Health you are interviewing at, prepare for them to take forever to do anything. A month or two(or more) should be expected. Not that you shouldn't reach out to the HR person to check on the status, but that company is super slow for highering.

For the questions, I think what you stated in your follow up post was pretty good for wanting a new job. You are at the top of your game, you know it and you know that there is very little room for improvement. Sounds like a perfect reason to move to a different playing field.

Good luck, doing the whole interview process is never fun.

+1 for honesty. Just recently interviewed for a position. They asked me to start off talking about myself and getting to know me. I just laid it out there. "I'm a full time youth pastor, work on a farm on the side, Krav instructor, new baby boy, married over 9 years, and overall just a busy guy."

"Wow...you got a lot going on."

"Ummm...yeah."

"Why are you looking to join our team?"

"Honestly, I need benefits. And money. Remember the baby boy part? Wife is a stay at home mom now and I'll do whatever it takes to give them a great life. Plus, I know I'll enjoy the job and going home happy and not ticked off is important to me."

(After more of the usual)

"Any questions for us?"

"Yes. I'm gonna ask 3 questions I've never asked in an interview. What's the job pay, what can I expect for vacation starting off since I have 2 trips planned this fall, and what's the benefits like?"

Hired on the spot.

I do Linkedin and Facebook Stalk anybody that I interview with, that helped me learn a ton about the VPs and Directors before I talked with them.

I asked very similar questions that some of you have mentioned and even asked about workflow, training, resources, ect.

When I was asked why I was looking I explained that I had hit a "growth wall" and was looking to expand into something new and take on different challenges.

Maybe its a total lack of self confidence but I struggle in selling myself, I'm literally a very simple person, what you see is what you get, I want to show up, become great at my job, and be treated with respect.

Keep the ideas coming please, I want to be ready when the next opportunity rolls around.

Yes, this was at Cardinal Health. I have e-mailed both the HR people that contacted me, one said the other will reach out to me, waited a week, contacted that person, still heard nothing.

I went ahead and had my resume floated no a similar job there because I had heard nothing. That might come back to bite me, but I'm not the type to sit back in wait on stuff to happen, I want to make it happen.

Maybe its a total lack of self confidence but I struggle in selling myself...

Try a different corner. Look for shady, poorly lit ones.

I'm literally a very simple person, what you see is what you get, I want to show up, become great at my job, and be treated with respect.

That's the kind of honesty I'm talking about. Tell them that.

I'm not the type to sit back in wait on stuff to happen, I want to make it happen.

This too.

It sounds like you hit the nail on the head for the interview (just based on those questions). Try to exhibit some passion and excitement, so many companies are hiring based on their 'core values', and passion is a big one. You may not have a boner over the job, but try to act like it's the only job in the world for you.

I interviewed up through the SVP of HR (again, I am in HR), and I was asked me why they should hire me for this position when I have less experience than anyone else that he interviewed. My answer? "Mediocrity isn't an option for me. My passion and drive is what separates me and what I lack in experience, I make up for in my desire to succeed".

+1 on Cardinal being slower than hell. My previous co-worker left our last company (before me) to go to Cardinal in HR, and even hiring in HR, it took 2+ months.

I've met with Bob and I can tell you, getting ideas from him is really illuminating.

How I'd answer:

1) The reason I am looking for a new job is I feel as though I've exhausted the challenge of my current position, and I'm looking for something that will not only force me to step up at first, but that gives me future prospects for a challenge without changing jobs. My current position also does not have a path towards where I want to be in the next few years. That brings me to my first question for you:

2) (I love turning this one around on interviewers, because they love to ask this of prospective employees) If I were hired at your company, where would YOU see me in 5 years?

Does your company have a clear and defined track towards management positions?

What qualities do you look for in someone you expect to advance in your organization, and do you believe I have those qualities based on what I've told you?

Are there people currently in leadership positions that have ever held the job I'm interviewing for? If so, what are their backgrounds, how did they get to their current position, and if you decide I am a good fit for your company, are they someone I'd be able to chat briefly with before making a decision?

Most important to me, at least, is to convey not only confidence, but aggressiveness in pursuing advancement and excellence. No one worth working for wants to hire a guy who is happy where he is, they want to hire someone with a drive to make themselves and their company more money.

"Do you have any questions for me?"

Yes, what is the difficulty you find in filling this position?

The answer that they give will tell you how to conduct yourself for the rest of the interview. Be the person they just described, or if you can't, tell them that and look for a different job.

When I was recruiting the biggest issue when people went into interview was NOT having any questions from them. That would look very poorly on the person interviewing.

If they ask you why you are looking, be honest, but not too honest. One of the things they will look for is job hoppers. Let's say your not happy at your current job for X and Y reasons... you tell the interviewer that your not happy but make sure you word your response correct when they want to know why. Do not bash your current company/old company. Be strategic with your answer in a way that it will make you look good.

When I was recruiting the biggest issue when people went into interview was NOT having any questions from them. That would look very poorly on the person interviewing.

If they ask you why you are looking, be honest, but not too honest. One of the things they will look for is job hoppers. Let's say your not happy at your current job for X and Y reasons... you tell the interviewer that your not happy but make sure you word your response correct when they want to know why. Do not bash your current company/old company. Be strategic with your answer in a way that it will make you look good.

I keep everything as clean and positive as possible. I'm far from a job hopper, I've been with my current company 8 years and my shortest term of employment was an internship at Disney