Columbus Light rail System

jeffro

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine it ever going into downtown Dublin.. MAYBE to tuttle mall or somehow to the new Bridge Street District. Dublin is brutal with their zoning. I have watched a few meetings.

Personally this entire project is worthless in a city like ours. I also do not want any more public transportation options through the Dublin area. No thanks.

Personally this entire project is worthless in a city like ours. I also do not want any more public transportation options through the Dublin area. No thanks.

Rich people don't want poor people to have access to their areas.

Story of this fucking city.

I'm a far bigger backer of the cleveland/cols/cinci/indy/chicago plan.

if I can get to Cleveland on a train, I can take it the rest of the way to Buffalo to see family. I'd love that

if I can get to Cleveland on a train, I can take it the rest of the way to Buffalo to see family. I'd love that

Were going to try to do something similar in the spring. My GFs dad lives in Alabama. Were gonna hop on a train in cinci and take it down. Its about the same price as flying, but both of us have never been on a train before. Should be fun. Just sucks we have to drive to cinci to get on it.

Rich people don't want poor people to have access to their areas.

Story of this fucking city.

How do you think maids and nannies and gardeners get to Dublin? On the bus.

My first instinct, having lived in a city with a good subway system, was "ooh, yes, subways!" And then I remembered that I have a bus stop about 200 feet from my front door and I've never taken a bus anywhere.

At best, a Columbus light rail would just cannibalize bus riders.

My first instinct, having lived in a city with a good subway system, was "ooh, yes, subways!" And then I remembered that I have a bus stop about 200 feet from my front door and I've never taken a bus anywhere.

At best, a Columbus light rail would just cannibalize bus riders.

The problem with a bussing system is it takes too damn long to go anywhere. With a rail system you might have a small handful of stops but the train doesnt have to stop at traffic lights, Doesnt get stuck in traffic, and is less likely to get into an accident.

I only lived in dublin/muirfield for about 6 years, but I don't remember seeing a bus anywhere? All the laborers you refer to came in company vehicles, they sure weren't getting off the COTA in muirfield and going to clean the McMansions.

I'd use a light rail even if it did nothing besides go around 270 with a quick stop every exit. Would be a MASSIVE upgrade from horridly clogged during peak hours 270, where avg speed is about 6mph on my commute.

I'm a far bigger backer of the cleveland/cols/cinci/indy/chicago plan.

Absolutely agree. A high speed train going from Cinci - Cols - Dayton - Cleve would be great. Add in chicago and indy would be awesome as well. I would DEFINITELY use it to see family in cinci.

As for subway/rail in the city of cbus I dont see it happening. Cost of Infrastructure alone would huge. MAYBE a light rail around 270 but even then that doesnt help people going downtown for work?

Absolutely agree. A high speed train going from Cinci - Cols - Dayton - Cleve would be great. Add in chicago and indy would be awesome as well. I would DEFINITELY use it to see family in cinci.

As for subway/rail in the city of cbus I dont see it happening. Cost of Infrastructure alone would huge. MAYBE a light rail around 270 but even then that doesnt help people going downtown for work?

I'd like to see that, along with some rail that follows 70 and 71. Put a nice park and ride at the intersections of 270 and 70/71 and let folks take the train downtown.

HUGE proponent of the "3c" rail plan, as well. (Cleveland, Columbus, Cinci, along with the other cities mentioned)

At best, Coleman's going to repurpose a CSX line from Port Columbus to the Convention Center downtown. THere's your light rail for Columbus.

Despite what FB whiners want you to believe, Columbus is STUPID EASY to access by driving/bus. This isn't Minneapolis; there's never going to be a light rail running around 270.

Plus, population density needs to grow in order to justify additional mass transportation infrastructure. COTA just announced they aren't raising fares until at least May, 2015...and they are still heavily subsidized as Craig mentioned.

VAPORWARE

So they can go there and do what, exactly?

All of the work that the rich folks aren't interested in doing or letting their children do.

Opponents of mass transit crack me up. I suppose it's only broke ass folks that ride the mass transit in NYC and Chicago. :rolleyes:

Edited by Orion

If Columbus ever wants to achieve higher status as a city and upgrade in desirability to businesses, people who want to relocate, and special events (Final Fours, etc.) then some investment in infrastructure will be necessary.

Just my humble two cents - which in currency exchange is worth like $736.50.

So they can go there and do what, exactly?

Live there, get away from crime and drug infested neighborhoods, have the opportunity to earn a better life for themselves and their offspring. Maybe bring lower-cost labor. Hell, maybe their non-entitled kids will even show up at schools where teachers are paid a fair salary and actually TRY to learn and earn their way into a college education, instead of sitting back like Johnny and Sally Jones and simply expecting As and Bs and a legacy admission to Miami University.

You know, just the American dream. But what would I, the son of a broke 15 year old Portuguese immigrant (when he arrived in 1974) who worked to be valedictorian of his high school, undergrad, and MBA classes and then went on to be CIO of Nationwide, know about providing opportunities to those less fortunate?

All of the work that the rich folks aren't interested in doing or letting their children do.

Opponents of mass transit crack me up. I suppose it's only broke ass folks that ride the mass transit in NYC and Chicago. :rolleyes:

As someone who regularly visits New York City, Queensarea, ( my sister lives in queens/works at the Met), I can promise you that a real system in Columbus is nothing that would be useful compared to what it is in New York. it's also like comparing apples to oranges. This is just not the thriving metropolis the other major cities in the country are.

Park-and-ride bus systems I can see that being useful in Columbus but I don't see a rail system is being remotely useful here