College Football Thread version 9.0

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'd be awesome, I feel it gives you the best look at the field

Me too. One of the few advantages to watching a game at the stadium versus on TV is that when you are there at the game you get to see the entire field and the play develop. Like I can see guys down the field getting open and can anticipate a TD pass is coming much better at the stadium versus on TV. The sky cam, I think, would allow you to see the play develop just like if you were at the game. And it's crazy because you're like right there hovering over the action.

Watch the sideline after this play

I think LJ Sr. wanted to make out with him through his facemask. That was awesome.

I think if you watch on WatchESPN they have a lot of different options for cameras throughout the game. If any of you have that (I have DirecTV so I will have it here soon but not yet or in time for the title game) check it out Monday night. I'm fairly certain they have it available live.

I think LJ Sr. wanted to make out with him through his facemask. That was awesome.

I think if you watch on WatchESPN they have a lot of different options for cameras throughout the game. If any of you have that (I have DirecTV so I will have it here soon but not yet or in time for the title game) check it out Monday night. I'm fairly certain they have it available live.

Yeah, Steve Miller has been nails all season, in a season in which he wasn't even supposed to play that much. As a senior, he may have moved himself from "last football hurrah" to "drafted to the league" this season, and it's been really awesome to see. ALL of the Buckeyes who have stepped up to take the place of an injured man have balled out of their minds.

Lately I have been very curious to hear what everyone's thoughts on fickle are as of late. The last two years people were ready to hang him. I cannot be more impressed with the turn around of the defense and how they have played the last few games. Most would directly contribute that to Ash but I keep hearing the credit go to Luke.

What's everyone's thoughts on our guy? Does he stay our guy or is everything ready for him to move on still? I think their biggest challenge will be this next week. Especially the secondary. But I am happy with how they played against the big bad Alabama.

It will honestly be hard to hire Fickell away from tOSU. It's his alma mater, he loves it here, AND he makes more as the DC than all but 50 or so of the Head Coaches in America. Taking an HC position would most likely result in a pay cut.

Yeah, Steve Miller has been nails all season, in a season in which he wasn't even supposed to play that much. As a senior, he may have moved himself from "last football hurrah" to "drafted to the league" this season, and it's been really awesome to see. ALL of the Buckeyes who have stepped up to take the place of an injured man have balled out of their minds.

Miller is applying for a medical redshirt too so he could be back next year.

How do you guys feel about Herman leaving and what the direction of your program going forward for qb's and offense? Isn't he a major component in developing yoir offense?

Most of us were critical of him tightening up in bigger games and kind of outsmarting himself at times (ie. splitting Carlos Hyde out wide vs. MSU in the B1G title game last year when OSU hadn't done it once all year - it didn't work) but he seemed to break that tendency vs. MSU this year. And continued that trend in the biggest games of the year vs. Wisconsin and Alabama. Obviously what he was able to do with the QB's has been amazing too. I don't think any of us will be able to say how we feel about it until his replacement is named. The only name I've even seen floated around much is ECU's Lincoln Riley. Would be similar to Herman. Young guy with Texas ties.

Buckeye hype video with a Johnny Cash soundtrack? Yes please!

Best one yet....how about Cardale doing confetti angels at 2:27.....wow. Love that song. Have to watch it again now....

Elliot losing his shoe at ~1:15 and then pulling away from the Wisky defender...haha!

Edited by DKilbourne

How do you guys feel about Herman leaving and what the direction of your program going forward for qb's and offense? Isn't he a major component in developing yoir offense?

We knew he would be gone sooner rather than later. You can't ignore the fact that we had our 3rd string QB in playing like he had been the starter all year. Seeing as how Herman is the QB's coach as well as OC, that says a lot about him. I have been critical of his play calling in big games in the past, but this year he pulled his balls out and made big time calls most of the time. He will be missed.

I'm not sure who they are interested in hiring, but Urban will get another good one for us.

I have been a Fickell supporter the last several years, the blame that dude took on was very unfair. He is one of the best recruiters in America and without him Daron Lee is not at Ohio State. Urban said they almost came to blows over Lee at one point, Fickell was in love with him and Urban didn't see what Fickell saw in Lee. Fast forward a couple years and Lee is the defensive MVP of the Sugar Bowl. Fickell may not be head coaching material right now, but what he did for OSU in 2011 was huge. He basically kept the ship afloat just enough and also kept recruits on board, who today are a big part of this teams success.

As for Herman, I have been really hard on the guy and his lack of balls during big games. However, the last 2 games this year he has been money! The job he has done with the qb's is nothing short of amazing, so he deserves credit for that.

I posted that video a page or two back, it is by far the best hype video I have saw for the championship game. That was made by a fan on elevenwarriors, sometimes the fan made ones are better than the ones put out by people getting paid to do them.

In other news, Pryor signed a 1 year contract with the Chiefs. He is way too talented physically to be unemployed, if a guy like Chase Daniels can find a career in the NFL there is no reason a guy like Pryor cant. He may be another one that has to swallow his pride at some point and switch positions.

Looking back at recruiting classes and it amazes me just how good the 2011 class turned out to be

Braxton Miller

Cardale Jones (went to Fork Union so was really class of 2012)

Curtis Grant

Bryce Haynes (long snapper is solid on special teams)

Doran Grant

Ryan Shazier (1st round draft pick)

Nick Vannett

Devin Smith

Evan Spencer

Michael Bennett

Jeff Heuerman

Steve Miller

Plus other guys that have contributed either on special teams or as backups

Chris Carter (backup DT)

Ron Tanner (special teams)

Joel Hale (backup DL/OL)

Chase Farris (backup OL)

Guys who didn't make it or contribute:

Conner Crowell (I believe injuries ended his career)

Jeremy Cash (transfered to Duke and is a stud there)

Brian Bobek (transfered)

Derjuan Gambrell

Antonio Underwood

Ken Haynes

Looking back at recruiting classes and it amazes me just how good the 2011 class turned out to be

Braxton Miller

Cardale Jones (went to Fork Union so was really class of 2012)

Curtis Grant

Bryce Haynes (long snapper is solid on special teams)

Doran Grant

Ryan Shazier (1st round draft pick)

Nick Vannett

Devin Smith

Evan Spencer

Michael Bennett

Jeff Heuerman

Steve Miller

Plus other guys that have contributed either on special teams or as backups

Chris Carter (backup DT)

Ron Tanner (special teams)

Joel Hale (backup DL/OL)

Chase Farris (backup OL)

Guys who didn't make it or contribute:

Conner Crowell (I believe injuries ended his career)

Jeremy Cash (transfered to Duke and is a stud there)

Brian Bobek (transfered)

Derjuan Gambrell

Antonio Underwood

Ken Haynes

Jesus, that really is a hell of a class.

Wasn't bare but there was an article just yesterday about the impact Urban's first real class (2013) has had on this title run. JT Barrett, Vonn Bell, Joey Bosa, Jalin Marshall, Eli Apple, Ezekiel Elliott, Dontre Wilson, Billy Price, Corey Smith, Darron Lee. That's 10 2nd year guys who have had huge impacts on this season. I questioned taking Corey Smith off because he was kind of a bum early in the year (big drops vs. VT and lazy play in the middle of the season) but he has been killing it blocking as a WR and blowing people up on kickoffs.

Urban was on the Dan Patrick show today and asked about the 8-team playoff we all think should happen and he said it can't. Not with the current setup. Used to play 12 games max with 85 scholarships. Now they're playing 15 (16 if they go to 8). Said they'd need to go up to about 110 scholarships if they wanted to do an 8-team playoff. Especially with the last 3-4 games being heavyweight bouts.

Wasn't bare but there was an article just yesterday about the impact Urban's first real class (2013) has had on this title run. JT Barrett, Vonn Bell, Joey Bosa, Jalin Marshall, Eli Apple, Ezekiel Elliott, Dontre Wilson, Billy Price, Corey Smith, Darron Lee. That's 10 2nd year guys who have had huge impacts on this season. I questioned taking Corey Smith off because he was kind of a bum early in the year (big drops vs. VT and lazy play in the middle of the season) but he has been killing it blocking as a WR and blowing people up on kickoffs.

Yeah the 2013 class is amazing and I agree about Corey Smith. He's not a very good receiver, but he is a beast on special teams and blocking. I love how physical all the WR's are. Same with Elliott, he is the best blocking back I have watched in a long time, kid loves to hit others haha.

8 team playoff will happen at some point, NCAA cares about money too much for it not to happen. It may be 10 years down the road, but at some point we will see it.

The SECPN is going to have a field day with this:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ncaa-wont-let-oregon-practice-as-much-as-ohio-state/ar-AA7TJaJ

The NCAA has way too many rules for its own good, and with an excess of rules comes some unforeseen problems. That's what has happened in preparation for this year's national championship game, as Ohio State will get a big advantage over Oregon this week, according to ESPN's Brett McMurphy:

Because Ohio State's spring semester doesn't start until Monday, the Buckeyes are not required to adhere to the NCAA's 20-hour rule, limiting countable athletic activities to four hours a day and 20 hours a week. Oregon's academic term began this week, so the Ducks cannot exceed 20 hours, according to NCAA rules.

That means Oregon can only do 20 hours worth of meeting, practicing, lifting, etc. this week, since the university is in session. Ohio State is not currently in session, so the Buckeyes can do whatever they want. That's usually not an issue for bowl games, since most take place during winter break, but since the championship game is so late, it could become a problem in the future.