College Football Thread version 9.0

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urban was on the Dan Patrick show today and asked about the 8-team playoff we all think should happen and he said it can't. Not with the current setup. Used to play 12 games max with 85 scholarships. Now they're playing 15 (16 if they go to 8). Said they'd need to go up to about 110 scholarships if they wanted to do an 8-team playoff. Especially with the last 3-4 games being heavyweight bouts.

Maybe i'm dumb, but what does the number of scholarships have to do with games in the season? Is that losing players due to injuries?

Could do that, or could just raise the limit of scholarships. Whats it hurting? It will be interesting to see where college football is at in 20 years. Look back at where it was 20 years ago

At the same time what fun are playoff games if all the good players that got the teams to that spot are hurt? (4th string QB in the title game?!?! say it ain't so!)

Could do that, or could just raise the limit of scholarships. Whats it hurting? It will be interesting to see where college football is at in 20 years. Look back at where it was 20 years ago

IIRC, didn't there used to be more scholarships? The small schools complained that they could not afford to provide that many, and thus the bigger schools had the advantage, so they dropped it to 85 for everyone. (Totally off the top of my head, I might be WAY off on that)

You could be correct, then again Freshman weren't allowed to play back in the day as well. I don't have a problem with kids leaving early, I read an article today on Urban talking about how he now recruits in the manner that Pete Carroll did. You recruit kids who will play now, you expect kids to only be in school 3 years, so get all you can from them.

FUCK, I can only record 3 things at once!!!

As I mentioned previously, I'm superstitious about stuff (the jerseys). I just have this feeling if I set up a bunch of stuff to record hoping to have a lot of neat stuff to relive a victory that it's just going to end with a loss. I used to record Gameday when they were at the site of an OSU game, any sort of pre-game stuff on ESPN, local ABC, etc., etc. Now my DirecTV just records the OSU games automatically and that's it. None of the extra stuff.

DirecTV just signed a new deal with Disney/ESPN so I'll have WatchESPN and everything here soon so if OSU should win I think I'll have most of those telecasts available on there in some kind of archive.

Just looking at ESPN's schedule for Monday right now... their coverage is starting at 3PM.

3-4PM - College Football Live from Arlington

4-6PM - College Gameday from Arlington

6-8PM - Championship Drive from Arlington

8-8:20PM - CFP Pregame Show

8:20-8:30pm - Pregame Showcase

8:30-12AM - 2015 National Championship

Edit: Fuck it. Just set it up to record all of that and the versions of the game on ESPN (regular), ESPN 2 (one with Spielman, Mullen, Riley, etc.) and ESPNU (Bilas, Wilbon, Melrose, etc.). If OSU loses... it's on me guys. Pretty pumped to hear Barry Melrose and his mullet's hot takes on college football.

Edited by bicranium

As I mentioned previously, I'm superstitious about stuff (the jerseys). I just have this feeling if I set up a bunch of stuff to record hoping to have a lot of neat stuff to relive a victory that it's just going to end with a loss. I used to record Gameday when they were at the site of an OSU game, any sort of pre-game stuff on ESPN, local ABC, etc., etc. Now my DirecTV just records the OSU games automatically and that's it. None of the extra stuff.

DirecTV just signed a new deal with Disney/ESPN so I'll have WatchESPN and everything here soon so if OSU should win I think I'll have most of those telecasts available on there in some kind of archive.

Just looking at ESPN's schedule for Monday right now... their coverage is starting at 3PM.

3-4PM - College Football Live from Arlington

4-6PM - College Gameday from Arlington

6-8PM - Championship Drive from Arlington

8-8:20PM - CFP Pregame Show

8:20-8:30pm - Pregame Showcase

8:30-12AM - 2015 National Championship

Edit: Fuck it. Just set it up to record all of that and the versions of the game on ESPN (regular), ESPN 2 (one with Spielman, Mullen, Riley, etc.) and ESPNU (Bilas, Wilbon, Melrose, etc.). If OSU loses... it's on me guys. Pretty pumped to hear Barry Melrose and his mullet's hot takes on college football.

I'm totally superstitious like that too. I realize I'm an idiot because of that, but I don't care.

So, if Ohio State wins, then maybe we can come to your place sometime a few days later and watch all the bonus coverage? We can have our first annual end-of-the-season get together. Jive can come in his onesie.

I heard on The Fan yesterday the talk being that Urban and a lot of the players are talking with a lot of confidence and how this seems very unlike the Tressel era, in which players always seemed to say the politically correct thing. Personally, I like that. Let's hope that translates into success on the field, though.

Also, when I think about the game, I keep going back and forth: at times, I feel great about Ohio State's chances, and then I will convince myself that there's no stopping Marriotta and we will die horrible deaths. It's like one of those games where I can make a solid case for either team winning and I wouldn't be surprised regardless of what the outcome is.

Another hype video, skip the first 5 minutes of it and it gets decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a2pw5-XY-s

I imagine OSU will use the extra time for film study more than anything else.

I think they left out one of the better highlights of the year. You know, the one where Jones blows that kid up after the supposed fumble. Should have included that in the video.

I heard on The Fan yesterday the talk being that Urban and a lot of the players are talking with a lot of confidence and how this seems very unlike the Tressel era, in which players always seemed to say the politically correct thing. Personally, I like that. Let's hope that translates into success on the field, though.

Also, when I think about the game, I keep going back and forth: at times, I feel great about Ohio State's chances, and then I will convince myself that there's no stopping Marriotta and we will die horrible deaths. It's like one of those games where I can make a solid case for either team winning and I wouldn't be surprised regardless of what the outcome is.

Its seems like when Urban and the team is loose with the media, they win. Think about the times they have been tight and seemed unsure... MSU, Clemson....