riding gear

that dude

Personally I wear all gear all the time. IDC what kind you wear. I'm not a brand whore.

But I think the most important piece is a helmet. And yes we have people break bones and get rashed here when they wear gear. ( jeremy we love ya kid:) ). But luckily we haven't had any TBI, traumatic brain injuries. That's the killer.

I agree with IP about the whole self governance thing. But protect you dome people.

We can do skin graphs and casts. We can't do brain graphs.

Plus helmets beautify our roads by hiding all that ugly mug. Next time you pass a harley, think to yourself, " Would I feel nauseaus right now if Barrnicle Bill and his back seat troll woman had helmets on that shielded me from their Medusa like effect?

Prolly not.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the person that wears leathers is no better than the person in flip flops in my book..both stoopid to me

how do those two things even compare?

Mesh jackets are SO freakin breathable you really dont notice any extra heat. while it's no leather, it's not skin. I dont give a shit about strangers wearing nothing (except the ppl that strap helmets to the bike, i dont get that), but i'll be damned if i dont give all my biker friends shit if they try to head out without gear.

I work at state farm in total loss claims. If you regularly read the things that I've read you might re-think it. Skin grafts, facial reconstruction, physical therapy, etc. will be things you take with you for the rest of your life. Drink water regularly and don't be afraid to sweat a bit.

Yeah, I'll sneer a bit when people don't take gear seriously. It's mostly on the inside and I'll still have a good time with you, but to me gear is not optional.

$.02

I pretty much feel the same way as most. I really don't care what anyone else does. I don't care that you are wearing tennis shoes and shorts if you don't give me crap about my jacket and boots.

When I was 15 I witnessed a motorcycle crash on RT 153 in Louisville. Hot summer day, some kid had a helmet and that was about it. He passed a slower car in front of us doing at most 55 to 60. As he passed, the car moved over to give him room, the car caught the side of the road and as the driver corrected he clipped the end of the bike sending it cartwheeling into oncoming traffic. The kid slid down the middle of the road before he stopped and crawled into the ditch. Seeing his arms and legs worn to the muscle and screaming in pain as we called 911 pretty much convinced me I don't care how hot it is out, if I'm riding my bike I'm wearing all my gear.

I'll say this again here, but I've said it before, and I'll say it forever.....

I want people to wear their gear!

I don't give a shit about their safety, if they're stupid enough to go hauling around without gear, then I can start the generalization that they're probably not the kind of person that I would lament being rid of. This is the kind of person that thinks only of themselves and not everyone else that's affected by their actions...

When you wreck, it effects other people.....

1.) Common sense will justify that if I wreck in full gear and get back up, walk over to my bike and either have it picked up or towed away, it's going to cost a hell of a lot less than if emergency vehicles are involved. The cops called, the street shut off, ambulances (possibly life-flight), the street partially (or completely) shut down, the traffic created, maybe firetrucks called, road clean-up crews....I have a lot of other better uses in mind for all of our taxpayer money and commuter time and emergency response crew time than peeling your dumb ass off the street. The first point is that I don't want to pay for other people's stupidity, and yes, if they go down, it costs everyone a lot more the less they wear.

2.) When this dickhole survives and his insurance pays out stupid amounts in medical bills, I get to pay for that too. Insurance companies are going to make money. And if they have to shell out thousands for this donkey to get put back together, then they're going to charge me more for make sure their books are in the black and the end of the day. Again, when these people don't wear gear, it costs me more.

I have a great job, and I can afford these things, but that sure as hell isn't the point. Those people's actions are effecting me, and I really don't care for it. It's not fair that my costs are affected by these actions, but that's the way it is, so I have the right to not like it.

And let's not even get started on how people like that obviously don't care as much as they could about their loved ones that would be devastated if anything happened to them when they wreck with no gear....

Let the idiots die early.

Natural Selection.

+1. say that, brother

I always go :confused: when I see someone on the interstate doing 90 mph in shorts/Tshirt/bare hands/bare head...

High speed + bare skin divided by pavement = icky ugly road burns at best, lost limb at worst

I've been down with full gear and got up without a scratch though my bike was totaled.

People who ride without gear affect my insurance. That makes it my business.

Not to mention when someone goes down without gear we all suffer. The public does not divide us into 2 groups - those with gear and those without.

They just see a a biker down.. if they have no gear and are severely injured it reflects on us all.

Politicians look for excuses to legislate us off the street and every injured biker gives them ammunition.

I believe in all the gear all the time.

I've been down with full gear and got up without a scratch though my bike was totaled.

REALLY???? That is amazing!! Not even being sarcastic, that is something to really shout about.

Now you sound like my significant other.. I took my bike out last weekend for a neighborhood spin, in town, low speeds... but without my jacket. When I came home, he was in the driveway waiting for me, giving me the stinkeye like :mad:

http://www.insurance.com/article.aspx/Car_Accidents_Happen_Closer_To_Home_Than_You_May_Think/artid/104

Plus' date=' being in the military, can't you get into trouble for not wearing your safety gear? I thought that was the case.[/quote']

I KNOW, I KNOW.. believe you me, the point was made quite loud and clear to me by a giant black Marine:rolleyes: and I won't be doing that again LOL

But HE is military... I'm a civilian

Originally Posted by Isaac's Papa viewpost.gif

Oh, if he's military and you are civilian tell him to fuck off and do some woolies in teh noodz.

:plus1::tits:

UGGHHH y'all are hopeless!! How da hayle does a thread about personal safety turn into naked wheelies with tits flying everywhere??

[quote name=that dude;208553if you cant afford the ins or are crying about rates going up' date=' its time to sell, and take up ping pong ;)

why you trashing ping pong:wtf:

I will never understand why there are helmet laws anywhere...I say let the idiots weed themselves out. If you're 18 or older, your head is your own concern. If you want to ride without a helmet, you understand the risk, and you accept the risk.
While I don't care what other people do...

the idea isv"dress for the crash, not the ride"

Not completely true as if you're sweating your ass off you won't be able to concentrate. Hence appropriate gear for the weather :p

:werd:

People who ride without gear affect my insurance. That makes it my business. The public does not divide us into 2 groups - those with gear and those without.They just see a a biker down.. if they have no gear and are severely injured it reflects on us all. every injured biker gives them ammunition.I believe in all the gear all the time.

My riding or getting injured while riding does NOT affect your insurance. The type of bike YOU ride and YOUR driving/riding history effects your insurance. If the FEDS mandated that all bikers had to wear gear head to toe, do you really believe your insurance rates would go down? FUCK NO! Insurance industry is a for profit business, pure and simple. I can't speak for your insurance company, but mine sure as hell didn't ask if I wore gear and what kind. They just wanted to know if I was paying the premium in one lump sum or by installments.

Now you sound like my significant other.. I took my bike out last weekend for a neighborhood spin, in town, low speeds... but without my jacket. When I came home, he was in the driveway waiting for me, giving me the stinkeye like :mad:

As well he should have been. It's a love thing.

I KNOW, I KNOW.. believe you me, the point was made quite loud and clear to me by a giant black Marine:rolleyes: and I won't be doing that again LOL But HE is military... I'm a civilian

With all do respect m'am, when you marry a Marine you marry The Corps! OOOH RAH!

My riding or getting injured while riding does NOT affect your insurance. The type of bike YOU ride and YOUR driving/riding history effects your insurance.

You do know the amount they have to pay out due to injuries is a variable when determining the costs for motorcycle (any really) insurance right????

My riding or getting injured while riding does NOT affect your insurance.

you've gotta be out of your damn mind.....

if i'm insuring two people, and one racks up a huge bill getting injured, you can be damn sure I'm going to raise the rates for both because the average cost of insuring both just went up. Yea, only one guy did it, but the average cost is all i care about, so that's what rates are going to be based on.

You just stated the very reason it does go up...it's a for profit business. They're not a charity, they're not gonna just take it on the chin if people rack up more bills than they pay in premiums. If people rack up bigger bills, they're gonna make rates higher. That is the utmost fundamental principal behind making insurance profitable.

I was told by my previous agent that the most expensive bike to insure on this side of the country is a Suzuki GSX-R 600 based on prior claims' date=' alone.[/quote']

There is a bike that just SCREAMS squid...

happy-little-squid-1024.jpg

why you trashing ping pong:wtf:

:werd:

My riding or getting injured while riding does NOT affect your insurance. The type of bike YOU ride and YOUR driving/riding history effects your insurance. If the FEDS mandated that all bikers had to wear gear head to toe, do you really believe your insurance rates would go down? FUCK NO! Insurance industry is a for profit business, pure and simple. I can't speak for your insurance company, but mine sure as hell didn't ask if I wore gear and what kind. They just wanted to know if I was paying the premium in one lump sum or by installments.

As well he should have been. It's a love thing.

With all do respect m'am, when you marry a Marine you marry The Corps! OOOH RAH!

It does affect our insurance. Have you heard of insurance tables based on statistics of ALL riders?