Parts counter guys...slow death?

zeitgeist57

As with many of you, I lived at Advance Auto Parts with at least 2-3 visits a week. Within a very short timeframe - especially relative to my lack of technological expertise - I've shifted nearly 100% to buying parts online. Shipping is as fast as I could want it to be, given a busy family/career schedule, and of course the price/choice spread can't be beat.

However, on Cleetus ('82 Ford F100) I still have a starter and power steering pump that I bought in 2012 for cheap, but with a lifetime warranty. Recently, the PS pump started whining like a bitch, but it still works. Really need to get the belts replaced also...

I went just now to Advance on Bethel, and chuckled to myself as it had been forever since I was there. The guy at the counter was very nice, and said that they converted software programs and lost records more than 2 years old. He said it would've been difficult to retain everything given the extremely large amount of parts purchase info, which I appreciate. However, the $29 part is now $40-$57, and they don't have a record of my "lifetime" warranty? The counter guy gave me a handwritten note saying that he'd honor the return if I bring in the part.

I thanked him, saying that if they couldn't honor the warranty for the exchange, I would've just gone with RockAuto. He said "Oh yes...I know that all too well." Which got me thinking.....

There will always be a need for parts stores as long as we are all owning our own cars, but has the activity at parts stores dropped off significantly? Do online retailers like Amazon and RockAuto killing the retail parts industry? Curious what the numbers look like...

I've worked dealership and aftermarket parts and you see it a lot, but I feel they will always be a demand as most people want their parts the same day. Plus with repair shops needing stuff same day to get the car back to their customers it won't ever go away. You'll possibly see more price matching.

I'm always willing to work with prices on OEM Toyota stuff if you need anything.

If I could order ahead for a part i would always order online,yeah Rock auto mostly.

The only reason for going local would be a broken part now needs fixed asap.

Doubt if I,m any different than anyone else? giving more $$ for a part is goofy.

This is me to a tee.

Commercial accounts is what keep most parts stores alive, and there will always be people trying to get stuff ASAP. I only go for fluids and batteries because shipping those can be a pain, plus there isn't much mark up in that stuff.

Of course my lazy ass loves the internet for shopping and anything else I have the parts department at work order it through our commercial account.

Commercial accounts is what keep most parts stores alive, and there will always be people trying to get stuff ASAP. I only go for fluids and batteries because shipping those can be a pain, plus there isn't much mark up in that stuff.

Of course my lazy ass loves the internet for shopping and anything else I have the parts department at work order it through our commercial account.

I agree, it can be more expense to ship oil and other fluids that could be flammable, this should keep some brick and motar stores open. Many of my vintage parts I order online from speciality venders because Autozone/etc don't normally stock these parts.

I just bought a years worth f oil and filters for both Subaru's on Amazon. With Prime, the free shipping makes it worth it. I know I will still end up in the parts store for last minute needs, but I don't feel like wasting the gas when I can have it delivered. Been doing the same thing with 50lb bags of dog food and other bulk items. Saves time and I don't have to lug shit all over.

I've still found it cheaper to buy online with advance auto's discount code and pick up in store.

Honestly I can't believe it still works. Has saved me a fortune.

I do the same thing plus there is an Advanced less than a mile away. But I still shop Rock before I commit to where I get the parts.

I've been in the industry for about 15 years (aftermarket & dealership) and it has to have had a large impact. I think it would be hard to put numbers together though unless you knew how many parts were being purchased over the internet.

Currently Im pretty lucky in that my dealership does a lot of in house service work which doesn't allow for internet shoppers. Body shop wholesale also helps.

My retail customer base has definitely dropped off in 10 years at the same store.

My main grief with customers currently is they think because I work at a dealership I am there to supply them with whatever information they need so they can buy it elsewhere. Ive recently stopped giving out part numbers over the phone. If you dont want to shop with me, pay my prices I understand. But you need to either do your own research or get the info you need from whoever is selling you the product you want to buy.

I also think it has to do with the lack of knowledge the majority of the people that hold these jobs have. I know we all think we know everything but so many of these "parts pro's" are not experienced. And when you get poor service over and over you are gonna shop elsewhere.

/rant

If I could order ahead for a part i would always order online,yeah Rock auto mostly.

The only reason for going local would be a broken part now needs fixed asap.

Doubt if I,m any different than anyone else? giving more $$ for a part is goofy.

This is pretty much how radioshack survived.

There's an Advance and and Autozone on the road home from work, so it's mostly worth it to me just to make the stops there simply because I want to see what I'm buying. If the parts don't fit or whatever I can just stop right back in to swap it out with no emailing or shipping hassles. It's also easier dealing with real human beans.

However, sometimes I'll buy more expensive things online if the price difference is big enough. I needed new front hubs for my TBSS awhile back. $80 online, $450 anywhere local. I took my chances.

I also think it has to do with the lack of knowledge the majority of the people that hold these jobs have. I know we all think we know everything but so many of these "parts pro's" are not experienced. And when you get poor service over and over you are gonna shop elsewhere.

This is a huge part as well. Even a lot of dealerships are getting this way. It's hard to find good help for parts departments anymore as well. Luckily I'm at a great place (Over 70 years of Toyota parts experience) with probably the highest pay in the city. They really value us here.

I buy most of my ish online/amazon instead of parts store. I literally have an autozone 1/4mi from my house. Unless i'm in a bind and need it right then, I go to kroger, buy an amazon gift card for the fuel points, then buy what I need on amazon for the same price or less, and I have it in two days.

As with many of you, I lived at Advance Auto Parts with at least 2-3 visits a week. Within a very short timeframe - especially relative to my lack of technological expertise - I've shifted nearly 100% to buying parts online. Shipping is as fast as I could want it to be, given a busy family/career schedule, and of course the price/choice spread can't be beat.

However, on Cleetus ('82 Ford F100) I still have a starter and power steering pump that I bought in 2012 for cheap, but with a lifetime warranty. Recently, the PS pump started whining like a bitch, but it still works. Really need to get the belts replaced also...

I went just now to Advance on Bethel, and chuckled to myself as it had been forever since I was there. The guy at the counter was very nice, and said that they converted software programs and lost records more than 2 years old. He said it would've been difficult to retain everything given the extremely large amount of parts purchase info, which I appreciate. However, the $29 part is now $40-$57, and they don't have a record of my "lifetime" warranty? The counter guy gave me a handwritten note saying that he'd honor the return if I bring in the part.

I thanked him, saying that if they couldn't honor the warranty for the exchange, I would've just gone with RockAuto. He said "Oh yes...I know that all too well." Which got me thinking.....

There will always be a need for parts stores as long as we are all owning our own cars, but has the activity at parts stores dropped off significantly? Do online retailers like Amazon and RockAuto killing the retail parts industry? Curious what the numbers look like...

Commercial account will always keep local parts stores open to some extent. People will always need cars fixed and stores will always need parts same day.

As for parts counter guys, its a joke these days. I had the store manager at a local Autozone (yes, the top dog there) try his best to convince me that if I did not buy platinum plugs for a 98 Rav 4 that it will likely cause permanent engine damage. Thats direct quote.

I think a lot of the problem likes int heir HR and hiring methods. They hire any bum off the street even if they have zero automotive experience so they can pay McDonalds wages and keep their margins high. I have seen this at AZ, Advanced, and Murray's around town. The only places you can seem to find good advice and actual help are the smaller non-chain parts stores.

I found this out first hand-I worked part time for AZ when I was 19, was offered a full time manager role in 4 months, and was the store manager 5 months after. I was the youngest store manager in the district by a mile. My store did great because we had a legitimate repeat customer base that came seeking our opinion/expertise. But, after seeing basically a slap in the face of a raise the next year, I re-evaluated my position and the company. I found out that if I stuck it out for 10-15 years, and did exceptionally well, I may be able to be a Regional Manager and make 60-70k (mind you, there was about 60 people ahead of me for that gig). I resigned, and made more the next year Bartending 2 days a week than I did as the freaking Store manager.

Long story short, Amazon is not the reason big box part stores are dying, they are. They are set in their ways- and the guys at the top only look at the metrics-the numbers, and have ZERO idea what is actually happening in there stores.

you guys are doing it wrong. shop on advance's website. find part you need, look on amazon for the same part but at much lower price. advance will price match. then you pick up in store or have it shipped. if its the wrong part or you changed your mind, then you simply return it to the store instead of having to go through the hassle of shipping it back.

We spent about 100k with Advance last year. If the part I need isn't in stock, sometimes I will order online elsewhere. But time is money... Saving a couple bucks on a part and having to wait a couple days (amazon prime) is not worth the down time IMO.

Parts stores aren't going anywhere in the near future. The days of having an Advance, an Autozone, and an O'Reilly all within a stones throw however are probably nearing their end.