Can you recommend an automotive AC specialty shop?

williaty

AC is one of the few things I never tooled up to do given the very, very high cost of the tools to do it to the obsessive level I require. Does anyone know of an automotive AC specialty shop around Columbus, preferably clear on the east side or just outside (Reynoldsburg area is where I live) that does work to a very perfectionist standard?

Thanks!

Although they aren't a specialty shop, North End Wrench in Clintonville does A/C work that other shops can't. They did work on some of my older, unusual cars. I don't think you'll find techs more knowledgeable and skillful anywhere else in Columbus.

CR member Crossle (Sean) is their lead tech. http://www.thenorthendwrench.com/

Spring of 2014 it just didn't turn on. Button works, light turns on, ECU shows it thinks the AC should be on. Compressor never even twitches towards starting. Can't hear the clutch click on, though the engine is noisy enough that possibly could be missed. So it's either an electrical problem to the clutch switch or some of the "don't blow up the AC" safety switches are keeping the system from starting.

Plus whatever's gone wrong from a year of not starting.

maybe everything is working properly and there is a slow leak in the system. did you test to see if there is pressure in the AC system? if there isn't any pressure then nothing is going to work.

Automotive A/C Systems are pretty simple when you break down the individual parts. The most likely cause like this previous guy said it that the system is empty of refrigerant. If you don't have a gauge set you can always go to any parts store and buy a small cheap charge hose with a low pressure gauge on it to give you an idea.

If there's refrigerant in it (enough to run the system) then check power at the clutch and also power at the relay that drives the clutch.

I Bet there's either no Freon, clutch failure or no power to engage the clutch.

Well, I broke down and started buying the tools to repair it.

Putting gauges on it showed zero static pressure, so that's why it's not kicking on. I got the UV light source, goggles, and dye with the intent to re-charge it with dye and see where it came out. Unfortunately, my whole damned engine is already COVERED in some sort of splattered mess that's invisible under white light but fluoresces bright green under UV light. Not sure if the dye is going to be useful with that mess already there. Some googling showed that the o-rings between the hardlines and the AC compressor are a major problem on the EJ-series engines, so I'm going to replace those tomorrow, pull a vacuum, and see if it'll hold it. If I can get an hour without the gauge needles showing a change in vacuum, I'll go ahead and re-charge it and see what happens.

I've spent the last two days pulling all the ducting out of the car to remove the mouse nest and its remnants. Needless to say, I am unamused at this point.