Would you buy a modded car?

caseyctsv

It has always been my rule that I refuse to "inherit" someone else's problem and steered away from anything modified. However, yesterday I stumbled across a vehicle I fell in love with that is modded exactly as I would have done it - it is just gnawing at me. The salesman is sending me all of the receipts. It appears to be a reputable shop down south - once I have all of the details I will share. I was just interested to see how scared you would be on buying a modded car? This would not be a DD - it would be a toy. Let's just say I know these particular cars well.

(On a side note, Jordan has been working hard to find me a car - this one just dropped in my lap somehow. I actually may be booking a flight tomorrow to check it out)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is mods you like and done correctly I would hop on it. Could it have issues yes. Would those issues be cheaper to fix than you adding all these mods yourself?

You should be able to tell if backyard bob tossed stuff on it with random bolts and zip ties or if it is done correct and tastefully

Yeah if I'm familiar with the platform and there aren't any issues, hell yes I would buy a modded car. If it already has some of the mods you would do anyway (and they were done correctly), think about how much money and time you're saving. If the car is heavily modded, that's a different story

Being a decent tech and a decent novice tuner, I feel I would be able to look at things in great detail, and putting it on a dyno to check condition would be a condition of sale. Yes I would buy a modded car if done correctly, and in good condition. Would I suggest it to most people, I doubt it.

That being said I know there are some cars you know pretty well. I guess it comes down to your comfort zone, but it may be a good idea to involve a neutral party or at least a tuner if it's been modded in that way.

Mild bolt-ons that don't require a tune, sure. Anything past that and I'd have to know the seller personally.

First thing I would likely do is take it to Brian to have the tune checked. If this was an intake / exhaust car I would not even worry about it.

It appears to be a full bolt on car with a cam. No nitrous/ power adder. I will have the receipts tomorrow - all the work was done by one shop. I should have access to the dyno sheet as well. I plan on talking to the shop that did the work. If I can confirm the shop I believe did the work it is reputable on this platform. Car looks spotless in pics, very low miles (though I totally realize that could be a quarter mile at a time). If it is ragged out they have done a stunning job cleaning it up.

It is a loophole - my wife said I could not mod it until it was paid off :)

She is actually pushing this one as it gives her an opportunity to see her best friend as it is less than an hour away. We are planning on making it a fun trip.

Sounds like a bad story? Turbo cars add a whole other dimension in mod issue in my humble opinion.

Grant's car is 1jz swapped and the po did a hackjob on the wiring iirc. If you can confirm the work was done by a reputible shop then, for me it would not be a deal breaker.

I've never bought a modded one from a dealership but have bought several off forums. Even if minor issues arise it'll usually still be cheaper than paying for the parts and install. The only downside is having a car thats not really "yours".

Sounds like a bad story? Turbo cars add a whole other dimension in mod issue in my humble opinion.

It was a swap with mods done in the early 2000's. It was one of the first swapped Mk3's and was someone's learning car. It had dated technology on it with even more dated OEM technology.

A whole new engine harness built from scratch and basically everything related to going down the road replaced later it should be a decent car. Not to mention I still need to tear the head apart and do valve stem seals.

Just get a good price on it and make sure it is put together using quality stuff by knowledgeable people.

It depends.

Anytime someone says "car just needs a tune" or "just needs this done", then I would run. Power adder cars add a level of complexity. A bolt-on lsx car is no worry. If you're familiar with the platform, and the car checks out, drives fine, then go for it.

The best situation to buy a modded car is where someone is trading up. They have their eyes on the next car and have already forgotten about the previous one. Take it from me.

That could go both ways.

You're definitely right. Many times, the guy moving on to the next car has already made arrangements to buy it, and just needs to unload the previous car. At least that's the way I've done it the last four times. Getting rid of the old car is almost an afterthought at that point

Edit:::

Traded in my gto for the ctsv and got $15k. Would love to have the gto back

Traded my ctsv for the rs7. No regrets so far.

Sold my highly modded '04 cobra to get my gt500 for $21k. Mistake. The cobra was a mid 10 second car in perfect running condition.

Traded in my '05 exploder for my raptor. I can't remember what I traded it in for m maybe $4k? It only had 75k miles. Would have loved to not trade it in at all--just charge random people $0.50 per hit to put that pos out of its misery.

I am in the camp of, i would rather buy a car that someone else has paid alot of money to mod. If you know what to look for and what you are looking at (this may require a friend that is into your desired vehicle type) Buy a modded car that some other dumbass has lost money on. Grab your compression gauge and check the health of the eng. ect.

This does not mean you will not have things to repair. but why pay for the good expensive crap when hyou can let someone else do it?

Edited by OGRE

Bought a bolt on big cam GTO and it had zero problems. Had a lot of fun with it for a year then sold it for something else.

All depends on the previous owner. I talked to him and had the whole mod list he did to it along with Dyno sheets. Now buying a mystery car with mods would

Be a gamble.

I'd buy a modded car so long as it didn't look like a hack-job

if the wiring was clean and everything was nice looking and in order that means the person probably actually took the time to do things right and didn't just throw crap together.

in other words.... DO NOT buy something that looks like my truck.

The only downside is having a car thats not really "yours".

It has NO appearance mods yet. Completely stock - I would "make it mine" that way, but I get your point.

Waiting on the receipts today - then will make a decision on next steps. Definitely leaning towards taking the chance. Thanks for the input - I am certainly more at peace.

My thought was if the work was totally done by a reputable shop I should be good. i would think major issues would be evident on the drive - it is 8-10 hours away but a round trip ticket is only 150.00. I have friends there to hang with - either way I go I will have a story to tell :). Besides, my buddy just got a 67 Corvette convertible with a 427 I can check out while I am there.