Let's discuss CR

Cordell

I've only been on here a short time, so I don't really know anyone or get the "inside" jokes. But I still enjoy reading the new posts that pop up.

If I see a topic where I can interject some semi-professional knowledge, I try. But for the most part I just sit back and take it all in.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with sending out emails recently active members to get them going again. Aa for new blood, even though i know alot dont like it, i still think there needs to be a screening process (if you dont agree, go join up on some of the facebook groups and youll see why i do).

I think more cr meets/get togethers could help as well. If they become more regular, members will bring friends, then they will bring more and so on.

Maybe if people actually talked about racing rather than guns and politics all the time, people might actually use this fucking forum.

Okay Farkas I'll gladly talk racing, how would you like me to start? Go do some street races and talk about it, go do some autocrosses and talk about it? Some of that still happens but not much. So despite you coming off sarcastic I actually do agree that more talk of racing would be nice, and even though a lot of the guys have grown more responsible I know there are guys still out doing it. I however have been more disconnected from that lately, the few people I know could seek out to street race are now way out of my league. Unfortunately my life got in the way and I can't keep up, if there are guys like me somewhere I'd like to meet them as I've just simply lost touch.

Maybe if people actually talked about racing rather than guns and politics all the time, people might actually use this fucking forum.

:lolguy:

What kind of racing do you enjoy, oh his royal farkleness?

And no, racing to destroy oil pans because moar low does not count.

Its easy to just type negative things, talk things, and not be a part of the solution.

I can say with a clean conscience that I have TRIED to bring the racing back to this website and will continue.

We shall see where the new push takes us, I just know I enjoy the time I get to spend in real life from the people on this site that actually go out and do things.

Okay Farkas I'll gladly talk racing, how would you like me to start? Go do some street races and talk about it, go do some autocrosses and talk about it? Some of that still happens but not much. So despite you coming off sarcastic I actually do agree that more talk of racing would be nice, and even though a lot of the guys have grown more responsible I know there are guys still out doing it. I however have been more disconnected from that lately, the few people I know could seek out to street race are now way out of my league. Unfortunately my life got in the way and I can't keep up, if there are guys like me somewhere I'd like to meet them as I've just simply lost touch.

I would enjoy reading and getting involved with more race-talk, myself. Just about all I see every time I log into CR is people talking about their damn guns, political hot buttons currently on the news, or whatever else they have problems with in life- ALL unrelated to racing or cars in general.

Occasionally there will be a good thread or two, but I rarely stop by any more because the whole website has basically turned into a local off-topic forum.

Maybe I've been out of the loop, but I feel like the CR track days have been few and far between lately. I understand people are busy and have lives, but I think more track days organized by CR would liven things up quite a bit around here.

:lolguy:

What kind of racing do you enjoy, oh his royal farkleness?

And no, racing to destroy oil pans because moar low does not count.

Auto-x? Working on prepping my car for Mid-Ohio. Drift events next year, etc.

I sold my sports car years ago in favor of having a comfortable, reliable DD and a bike. I'm happy to participate in the off-topic threads, namely the College Football Thread v1278309120.32. The difference between CR and the Facebook car/bike groups is day and night, and I think some of the people saying CR is dead should carefully decide if they want the same Facebook-esque activity here or not, because that's going to be the natural source of new activity.

Hint: Abundant shittalking. You think the few trolls that have been banned from CR are/were bad? You ain't seen nothing LOL.

FWIW I think the Cars and Coffee Event has been one of the better if not best things that has come from CR since I've been on board. Meets are great, race days are great, but I've literally met a 100+ members face to face and learned more about them and made better friends from C&C than anything else.

Props to Clay for driving it home and to all that have attended.

:dumb:

I think more track days organized by CR would liven things up quite a bit around here.

Auto-x? Working on prepping my car for Mid-Ohio. Drift events next year, etc.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since you have recently shifted from hard parking to being interested in actual racing things.

However, why haven't you posted up on CR about it?

Regarding autocross, there are always 2-10 CR members at local autocrosses. If you look at the top 10 of any of the local events, its usually peppered :lolguy: with CR members. Also 2 of us are taking over the United Ford Owners autocross organization for 2016 and beyond. I'm sure we could do a date in partnership with CR, to get some of you old crusty fucks who normally go straight, to turn that wheel. Anthony/Tina/whoever, I'll reach out once it's time to schedule dates for next year.

I'll commit to putting more content on CR regarding car setup, tires, techniques, etc. Mostly regarding autocross.

The difference between CR and the Facebook car/bike groups is day and night, and I think some of the people saying CR is dead should carefully decide if they want the same Facebook-esque activity here or not, because that's going to be the natural source of new activity.

Hint: Abundant shittalking. You think the few trolls that have been banned from CR are/were bad? You ain't seen nothing LOL.

Exactly. Facebook CR is retarded.

Okay Farkas I'll gladly talk racing, how would you like me to start? Go do some street races and talk about it, go do some autocrosses and talk about it? Some of that still happens but not much. So despite you coming off sarcastic I actually do agree that more talk of racing would be nice, and even though a lot of the guys have grown more responsible I know there are guys still out doing it. .

Reserving for later....

I think the decrease in the forum's activity is the result of a number of factors.

The largest contributing factor (in my opinion) is just a matter of losing more members than we are gaining. I think the same problem actually plagues the entire "hobby". I hate to sound like the crazy old codger reminiscing about walking uphill to school both ways, but it certainly seems like the younger generations are producing less automotive enthusiasts. When I say "losing members" I don't think those guys are necessarily going elsewhere... I just think they have lost the interest, drive, or time for the hobby.

The second thing might not be a popular belief.. but I'll say it anyways. I think we lost too much drama. I know, I know.. WHO wants drama? Well, I think everyone does whether they admit it or not. Some of the most active threads were centered around drama. Whether the drama was racing (JP vs the world), shop vs shop stuff, people banging other peoples GFs (thanks Phil), or flat out trolling (Gabe), those threads would blow up. When those threads blew up, more people were online, and while they were online they would usually find something on the site to post about.

I think the revitalization of CR has to come from the same place where the need for CR started... the streets. (Metaphorically)

I'm not saying everyone start street racing again (but if you do.. call me ;) ) rather suggesting more track days and more real life interaction. Rather than keeping these get togethers small CR only stuff, try to get the new people to them and they will follow to the site.

disclaimer: I understand that the track days and everything are A LOT of work. I also understand that a very small group gets shafted handling ALL of that work, so more track days might not be a viable solution currently.

I've been on CR for a couple years now and have really enjoyed it. I have met some great folks and made some new friends. While I don't make cars and coffee very often it's a ton of fun.

From a posting stand point, I post what I know. I would like to race but my car is slow and looks much better sitting still. I don't know autox and a lot of the in depth tech stuff is over my head. I read them but most times I don't have anything to add so I stay quiet. I don't insult just to insult so I keep out of those.

The current, especially local news and get togethers are important to build community and keep new folks coming to the site. While cars are obviously the primary hobby that brings everyone together, the wide range of skills and knowledge help each other. I don't think getting rid of everything non-car is a good idea. Thanks to the mods and keep up the good work.

I think seeing some of these postings I feel better about the future of CR, I am plesently surprised that this thread has gotten positive response. I'm sure I speak for everybody that ideas and desire to keep CR progressing into the future is a great thing. Keep it going.

I always envisioned CR as expanding to something like OT.com, where you have a bunch of different topics, with cars being one of them. Maybe that's me being grandiose, but I always thought CR had that potential. Of course, to get there, it would need to open the doors up wide to the Internet and foster a sense of inclusiveness as opposed to exclusiveness.

I think Jordan nailed it when he said that drama drove up attendance. Back in 2005, the Internet and cars and street racing was VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS and that was reflected in the drama and multi-page threads that were around at that time. With no drama, you have less interest, and with less interest, you have less attendance.

One way of having more people talk on CR is to have more people on CR. You get more people on CR by making it easier for them to find CR and to join. I would suppose one way you could accomplish that is by lessening the restrictions for joining. Do people still have to sign up to get on CR? If so, that's a major roadblock. I can tell you right now if I go to a website with anything less than major interest or need to be there and they ask me to sign up I am x-ing out with the quickness and not thinking twice about it.

I would be strongly opposed to scaling back CR and making it only about cars. I haven't come here for cars in a long, long time. I come here for college football discussions, mainly - and that has like zero to do with cars. But that's the beauty of CR - it's a place where I can come and talk about CFB and then see some stupid posts by Das Borgen in the LOL thread and then watch Geeto6 guy be condescending to someone and be entertained by all of it. If you make this place only about cars, you're going to have like three people here: Clay, Cordell, and some random guy from the South End. Crickets. Seriously.

I'd consider a name change. Is CR.com available? It could be an instrumental change that has symbolic meaning: you are going from a "racing" website to a more inclusive, all-topics-are-cool-here website. CR should be a place people can come to for everything. Weather report? Ben and Jeffro are on it. Stock market? Yup, I see threads about it all the time. Need to buy an expensive watch? Talk to that diamonds guy. Need ballroom dancing lessons? See jump'n'jive. I know that I find myself coming to CR just to keep up on internet trends and pop culture stuff. I can tell you that I am not coming here just because I think fast cars are cool (even though that's true).

I'd also consider making it easier for people to get on CR. Maybe you don't have to join to see most of the site, but you do have to be a member to see some of the site or something like that. Meaning, open the doors to the internet, but maintain some exclusivity, so those of CR who want to hide from the masses can continue to do so.

I'd stop having people post intros to get let on to the site (if that's still a thing). I think that is the sort of thing that makes the outside of CR see CR as being pompous and elitist. Ditch the intro initiation stuff and just allow people on.

I've always said that the trolls and idiots and clowns of CR make it great. Yes, those people are annoying, but they are also entertaining. And I've always been very vocal about saying that you can strangle the entertainment out of a site by making it too restrictive. The masses of the internet - and remember, half of them will have an IQ lower than 100 - are what make the internet what it is: entertaining, intriguing, interesting, informative, etc. If you want CR to be that, then you need to bring the internet to CR.

Cordell, I appreciate you bringing this up. I hope what I've offered helps. I'd like to see CR expand and thrive. It's the only site on the entire internet that I actually care about.

Also, forgot to mention: CB is almost always active, and there's definitely stuff that goes on there a lot. I think it's so active because CB mirrors the evolution of social media: we really are all about getting our responses out there immediately and getting immediate feedback. Not sure what implications any of this has, but, if I had to offer something, then maybe I'd suggest looking into making CB a more prominent feature of CR. Meaning, CB seems to work well, and the site should capitalize on that and enhance it's profile, if possible.