79 members have voted

1. 1. Nice, reliable, inexpensive and fun car

• Anything but a Neon SRT-4
    • Neon SRT-4

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before buying anything "fun" in your situation, do yourself a huge favor and sit there and think, "if something major on this car breaks, can i really afford to fix it?"

Like others have said, used turbo cars are just a bad idea, especially something like a neon. Sure it might say unmolested or the such, but if its gonna be my main daily, thats not something i would trust.

Are there any unmolested 1g or 2g Talon/Eclipses left out there? They are cheap and fun, but not necessarily reliable. Or a 3.8 supercharged or 5.3l impala/grand prix

I was going to mention the bottom 2, but there again, both are just transmission problems waiting to happen

Buster,

I would fix what you have, or replace it with a newer cheap/safe/reliable (boring) car. Then I would save up for a second car, which would be the fun car. Then if it breaks, who cares? You still have ol reliable to haul around the family.

Like I mentioned before, I don't want to race anything. I just want something that is fun to drive.

Didnt say you did. But your talking about neon srt4's. Thats like every 16 year old kids dream car, and you can bet they have already been rode hard. Youll just be buying some one else's junk, and left with the bill when shit starts breaking

The loan I got to pay off matco is using the crv as collateral, it has a rebuilt salvage title. But that's also a $1900 loan. Not 7grand. Not sure if the amount difference changes things. We went through True Core, a credit union out here, paying 9.9% interest.

The loan I got to pay off matco is using the crv as collateral, it has a rebuilt salvage title. But that's also a $1900 loan. Not 7grand. Not sure if the amount difference changes things. We went through True Core, a credit union out here, paying 9.9% interest.

Wow.

Yea the chance that you even get a loan on a salvage title car is slim anyway. Even if you do, your gonna raped even harder than that on interest

Like I mentioned before, I don't want to race anything. I just want something that is fun to drive.

Some of the funnest cars are the cheapest and slowest.

This, this, a thousand times this. I've never driven an SRT Caliber, but the base model rental car I had was probably the worst handling car made in the last 20 years. Give it a shitload of power and wide tires and you've got a car that's pretty much only fun for the 45 seconds during your morning/evening commutes that you're merging on highways. Why do people optimize their cars for this sort of fun? 99% of the time you're driving at or around the speed limit, get a car that's fun doing that and your dollar to fun quotient drops to something much more reasonable.

Get a Focus ZX4 ST with a manual trans -- 2800lbs, 150 hp, willing suspension, skinny tires. You can throw some SVT suspension bits on it from FRPP, they're dirt cheap. That's a fun little car! Heck, just get a base model, mine only had the 2.0 ZETEC and I still thought it was fun to drive. Who cares about power!?

How about Honda Fit? Fun car! Or a Mazda3? There's so many good small cars out there right now, there's no reason to feel like you have to choose between a boring automatic sedan and a limited edition performance model.

Money isn't tight anymore, not like before anyway.

Not picking but think a moment about what I quoted above ^^^.

You are in an excellent position. By something reliable now/keep the current car and get it repaired, yeah I know it sucks. Bank some of that extra money/no car payment for a year or two. Then buy what gets you hard. Think about 9% interest. Calculate it out for the life of the loan. Now think about how much nicer of a car you could get from saving for a year or two.

Just my two cents.

Ok.. so the buster is going to listen for a change. Any thoughts on the corolla s?

Probably a much better choice. I don't know much about them but Toyota's are usually pretty reliable. I'm sure Rocky can give you better info on them, I believe he used to work for Toyota.

Inches? I live on a historic brick road they refuse to plow. So it all adds up

Also there is a xrs version of the corolla I read about but have never seen anywhere. Any info on those? It's a manual transmission version from what I read.

I owned a couple SRT4 Neons and a '08 Jetta 2.0T when they were new/fairly new and have driven a '07 Civic Si sedan daily for the last 2 years or more. Look into an Si, for the price range I think they're a great blend of sporty, economic, not too outdated, and family friendly. Very little mechanical problems also, and it seems like there are a lot more out there and owned by a more mature group than SRT4s and GTI/GLIs, so much better chance of finding a clean, unmolested one.