Need some opinions

The_buster

Nice, reliable, inexpensive and fun car  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Nice, reliable, inexpensive and fun car

• Anything but a Neon SRT-4
    • Neon SRT-4

I'm looking to replace the Lincoln come tax time. Going to get a loan and use half of the tax return as down payment. I'm looking for something 4 door and still fun to drive. Price cap is 7 grand, maybe a little more if the deal is right. The cars I'm looking into are, in order, srt4 neon/caliber- depends on how a rear facing car seat will fit caliber seems bigger than the neon. Subaru impreza- hopefully an sti if possible. Sentra spec v- they seem to be cheaper but higher miles.

Just wanted any input on which is better than the other. I'm not looking to go crazy with it or do any racing. If anything I will add some sort of stereo setup and cosmetic pieces. Just want a fun yet practical car.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When does your lady graduate? Just remember, good things come to those who wait. I would save the money for other things and drive the Lincoln until the wheels fall off. When her loans are paid off and you guys are in a better financial position, then get a toy. Also, in your position, reliable>sporty if you must be a tax time baller.

She graduated in may. She now has a job at a the local hospital working in the CCU on overnights. The Lincoln needs a heater core that apparently takes 8 hrs according to AllData. So it fogs up the windshield and puts a fog in the car. Also the fuel mileage is hurting even though I don't drive very far.

Not getting any sti for 7k, srt with high miles are usually all big pos, a Sentra spec v would be good if you can find one.. Your probably looking at a basic wrx, and Audi A4, or again go the simple route and get a low mileage 4 door reliable car over a toy

If you get a $7000 STi or WRX, it will likely bleed your wallet dry. Get a non turbo Impreza or Legacy. Given the struggles you have shared here, a turbo car for a daily may be a nightmare in the $7K range. A good running low miles car, and throwing extra cash in savings, would set you up for buying your next car. $10k and below turbo cars are someones problem that you bought.

Going to agree with everyone on not getting into a turbo car in decent shape given your budget. I doubt you'd find an STi that runs for $7k let alone be reliable. I haven't seen a nice SRT4 or Cobalt SS since they were new, I wouldn't buy one regardless, just about any of them will be beat to shit.

Given the cars you've had just about anything will be more fun to drive. Getting a loan on something in you parameters is going to be an issue IMHO. Things that cheap are going to be older higher mileage vehicles and if you get a loan for one you'll spend a lot in interest. You may be surprised if you calculate out costs that buying something newer in the low teens won't actually cost as much as you might think. Lots of variables to consider, just get used turbo cars out of your head.

For less than $7K, you'd better be driving a stick shift if you want something fun to drive. NO TURBOS.

I'd look at Rocky's Crown Vic...higher miles but motorpool-maintained and easy/cheap to repair...which for a less-than-$7k-car is almost just as important as reliability.

If you're bitching about MPG's, then look at a Mazda2. I had one as a rental, and aside from the automatic sucking the life out of the engine, the handling was very enjoyable. For a father in your position I would strongly look at a Kia Soul, Honda Fit, Mazda2 or base Subaru Impreza.

Bank of America finances up to 8 years and 125k miles, to give you an idea of how far back you can go for the age/mileage of a used car if financing is needed.

Rocky's Crown Vic

^ If you want to stick with a big, RWD V8 sedan that is reliable and cheap/easy to maintain. This is the route I would go.

civic SI sedan

^ Another good option, better on gas, although smaller and a little more money. If you are set on a stick, this is what I would recommend.

Like others have said, don't waste money on a ragged out beat dick shitbox just because it was a nice car 10 years ago before some kid worked it over. Good luck finding a clean Neon SRT4 or WRX/STI within your budget. And a Dodge Caliber? Seriously? That might be the worst car ever made

Buster, there are many mature and seasoned members on the site that want to help you. Overwhelmingly, we have pointed you away from what you came here saying you wanted. The question is, what are you going to do with the advice?

You ever run into a girl who always dates assholes? They treat her bad, and there is always drama. After the same bad call in relationships, time and time again, it gets hard to be in her corner when helping her.

We don't want that to be an analogy for you, Buster.

I don't see what the issue with calibers are. I've driven the srt4 one here at work a couple times and it's pretty decent. A tad bumpy sometimes. And my legs are an awkward length, I need the seat to be farther forward to push the clutch all the way and wish It had an electric seat so I can move it back just a hair. I want to get away from the big cars. They ride nice, but are horrible on fuel. I've found a couple srt4 neon with less than 60k for close to 9 grand. Which we could do that price, but only if the mileage is that low.