College Football Thread v12.0

bicranium

Does Ohio State football fall under the rules and regulations of the NCAA?

The NCAA has no pre-stated involvement in DUIs/OVIs, actually. Prove me wrong and I'll buy you lunch ($10). Of course, they're GOING to get involved because it's a star player celebrity and it's a chance for them to look good. You know, cuz they're unpaid amateurs that people throw money around for some reason that the NCAA refuses to acknowledge.

EDIT: Urban Meyer confirmed that this suspension is NOT a school rule.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NCAA has no pre-stated involvement in DUIs/OVIs, actually. Prove me wrong and I'll buy you lunch ($10). Of course, they're GOING to get involved because it's a star player celebrity and it's a chance for them to look good. You know, cuz they're unpaid amateurs that people throw money around for some reason that the NCAA refuses to acknowledge.

EDIT: Urban Meyer confirmed that this suspension is NOT a school rule.

So if there are no rules about minimum punishment from the NCAA, and it's not an OSU policy, then where did the 1 game minimum suspension come from?

There are people on reddit who said the 1-game suspension wasn't enough who are now saying this is too much. Urban can't win...haha.

He did the same thing to Stoneburner and Mewhort in 2012 after their disorderly conduct thing where they were drunk and pissed on a building. That happened in the off-season and wasn't a DUI so no game suspension but they had to do a lot over that summer to earn their scholarships back.

So if there are no rules about minimum punishment from the NCAA, and it's not an OSU policy, then where did the 1 game minimum suspension come from?

The coach

NCAA only cares about student athletes getting money (cause they didn't get their cut) or physically punished/abused (see Mike Leach & Storage Closets).

Everything else is up to the Program/AD/Coach. (See Jameis Winston)

Besides, the NCAA wouldn't do the same punishment across the board anyway. Cam Newton & Reggie Bush's parents used their kids for monetary gains and the outcomes were very different.

So what's the issue? I agree with the suspension. Who here doesn't? And why?

I don't agree with it. For one, it's hasty. Until the court date, he's not technically guilty of anything. There may be some unpublicized facts about the night that may get his case thrown out or get the stop deemed illegal or no probable cause for FSTs/breathalyzer or whatever. Likely? No. Possible? Absolutely. So regardless of the outcome, we should at least wait until after the court date to punish him. Further, his punishment will come from the courts. Amateur football suspensions should not be a form of justice. If he's not allowed to reap the benefits of being a celebrity, he shouldn't suffer the public spotlight punishment side of being "held to a higher standard", either. Tl;dr, this is a legal issue, not a football issue. He broke exactly 0 school/NCAA rules.

I don't agree with it. For one, it's hasty. Until the court date, he's not technically guilty of anything. There may be some unpublicized facts about the night that may get his case thrown out or get the stop deemed illegal or no probable cause for FSTs/breathalyzer or whatever. Likely? No. Possible? Absolutely. So regardless of the outcome, we should at least wait until after the court date to punish him. Further, his punishment will come from the courts. Amateur football suspensions should not be a form of justice. If he's not allowed to reap the benefits of being a celebrity, he shouldn't suffer the public spotlight punishment side of being "held to a higher standard", either. Tl;dr, this is a legal issue, not a football issue. He broke exactly 0 school/NCAA rules.

So he should be starting this week in your opinion?

I don't think it's a form of justice, it's a form of punishment for making a bad decision and making Ohio State "look bad" for lack of a better term. Plus it sets an example for the rest of the team. I'm sure Urban and JT have sat down and talked about before any suspension and loss of scholarship came out. Plus would you rather him sit out against Minnesota or MSU, Michigan or Big Ten Championship game once it gets through court?

You know the old parental saying: "Everything you do is a reflection of me"

Besides, it's not like this is the first time the starting QB got an OVI. Steve Bellasari's was one of the greatest things to happen in the history of the program.

So he should be starting this week in your opinion?

Athletic performance aside, yes. I realize that this route would likely put his suspension punishment at the MSU or UM game, but morally, that's a more correct route to take in my eyes. Don't we (the collective social justice keyboard warrior hivemind of the internet) get mad at people ALL THE TIME for prematurely casting judgement? I don't believe he should be punished for anything until found guilty in a court of law.

Athletic performance aside, yes. I realize that this route would likely put his suspension punishment at the MSU or UM game, but morally, that's a more correct route to take in my eyes. Don't we (the collective social justice keyboard warrior hivemind of the internet) get mad at people ALL THE TIME for prematurely casting judgement? I don't believe he should be punished for anything until found guilty in a court of law.

What about the Rutgers players? The ones who were waiting to be charged with burglary and assault. (I honestly don't remember) but were they handed punishments by the school and team before their court dates?

What about the Rutgers players? The ones who were waiting to be charged with burglary and assault. (I honestly don't remember) but were they handed punishments by the school and team before their court dates?

Same thing. Please reference the Duke lacrosse case. Grossly rushed punishments resulted in a few people losing their jobs and some kids' college years were absolutely ruined by an incorrect, hasty decision.

You guys are forgetting he was a MINOR under the influence. There is no legal limit for him. The fact he was drinking and then chose to drive is enough. He is already guilty.

Now OSU star quarterback who was underage was driving and got caught. Makes the university look bad and makes Urban look bad.

I have zero tolerance for drinking and driving if you do not punish him and send a message to everyone( that includes all the youngsters who look up at him as their idol) you are not helping the problem but saying its ok to drive drunk. 1 game isn't enough and that isn't me being a hater on the Buckeyes. When you get an OVI you instantly lose your license until it goes through the courts and then it's a minimum 6 months suspension. He should be sentanced the same way through the team.

Same thing. Please reference the Duke lacrosse case. Grossly rushed punishments resulted in a few people losing their jobs and some kids' college years were absolutely ruined by an incorrect, hasty decision.

Have you read anywhere that JT is arguing his case that he isn't guilty? If JT is essentially admitting guilt, then why wait for the legal system? I'd assume Meyer discussed with JT what happened and JT told his story to Meyer and Meyer did what he gets paid $5 million a year to do. I just don't see how you can logically believe that in this situation JT should be playing this Saturday. I trust the guy that gets paid to make these decisions. Kinda surprised by the people who don't.

You guys are forgetting he was a MINOR under the influence. There is no legal limit for him. The fact he was drinking and then chose to drive is enough. He is already guilty.

#1 it's .02

#2 his age has nothing to do with it, he was over .08

Now OSU star quarterback who was underage was driving and got caught. Makes the university look bad and makes Urban look bad.

I have zero tolerance for drinking and driving if you do not punish him and send a message to everyone( that includes all the youngsters who look up at him as their idol) you are not helping the problem but saying its ok to drive drunk. 1 game isn't enough and that isn't me being a hater on the Buckeyes. When you get an OVI you instantly lose your license until it goes through the courts and then it's a minimum 6 months suspension. He should be sentanced the same way through the team.

I am pretty sure it is.

:dumb:

I guess I missed the part where OVI has to do with ones extracurricular activities. Nobody gets banned from their softball league for OVI except maybe if they play for the AA team.

Dude shut up lol - put this shoe on any one of Bama's national champ QB's and you would be singing a different tune.

At least be consistent with what you say. Otherwise no one will take you seriously.

The kid got what he deserved and MORE considering the offense.

Raise your hand if you've never driven at .08? Raise your hand if you never drank as a minor?

Pat yourselves on the back.

Currently patting myself on the back...

My facebook is blowing up with non OSU fans bitching and crying about how he isn't being charged for the underage consumption. One person went as far as to say the NCAA and OSU is covering it up lol. Others are saying the punishment is too light. I just want to know if they all have a spare room in their castle of glass. The kid made a really dumb decision and is living with the outcome. Thankfully no one was hurt in all of this, so its a lesson learned without it being far worse.

1. Make mistake 2. Own mistake 3. Learn/understand what happened 4. Get past and don't repeat -The essence of personal development and life

— Maurice Clarett (@ReeseClarett13) October 31, 2015

Dude shut up lol - put this shoe on any one of Bama's national champ QB's and you would be singing a different tune.

At least be consistent with what you say. Otherwise no one will take you seriously.

The kid got what he deserved and MORE considering the offense.

I would be saying the same thing for any player regardless of team or affiliation. I can't help that we are talking about a buckeye player right now.

Raise your hand if you've never driven at .08? Raise your hand if you never drank as a minor?

Pat yourselves on the back.

Also high fiving myself, for doing exactly what people are supposed to do. I also pay my taxes, keep up with my bills, wash my hands after I use the restroom, manage to keep myself from actually strangling the folks I work with, refuse to have sex with women who tell me "no"....any other normal things that I should be congratulating myself for, that you apparently think are odd?