What's it worth?

TimTaylor751647545500

A number of years ago, I picked up a "509" casting 400 sbc short block. I don't see anywhere in the near future where I'll end up using this motor, especially now that I have an Oldsmobile. I know that its difficult to gauge what something like this would be worth sight unseen, but if anyone has a ballpark idea, it might help me decide if I'll end up parting with it or holding on to it. The short block is disassembled currently.

Assuming the block is in good shape, and it's all there I would price it in the 5-700 range. Really that's just the block and crank. With parts being readily available today as they are Rods, Pistons, heads etc will get tossed in favor for aftermarket pieces.

Assuming the block is in good shape, and it's all there I would price it in the 5-700 range. Really that's just the block and crank. With parts being readily available today as they are Rods, Pistons, heads etc will get tossed in favor for aftermarket pieces.

I've got the pistons for it too, but they'd probably need gone through and would most likely end up being more cost effective to buy new.

Checked with my father who has had and built several for circle track cars. He said between $3-500 considering the block is the only thing of value.

How would a 400 sbc crank not be of any value?

I've got the pistons for it too, but they'd probably need gone through and would most likely end up being more cost effective to buy new.

How would a 400 sbc crank not be of any value?

Crank and block are good for the average build. For us the cranks won't handle the rpm we run these motors to. Then again sometimes those blocks cannot handle it either.

So it depends on what you want to do with this engine. People hate the 400ci small block because of the siamesed cylinder bores which can sometimes run hot depending on how hot you gave built the engine (pun intended). I had a built up 400 we put in my buddies 1977 firebird and it made good power with a cam, intake, and headers but he spun a bearing trying to rev it to 7 grand (something we could do with a well built 302, 305, or 327). I think of them as truck and station wagon engines, larger stroke and bore than a 350 small block so all torque and grunt but none of the appeal of a big block. I have heard of the rods being weak and the blocks sometimes having core shift if beaten hard but I've never seen it, only rumors.

In the old days (the 80's and 90's) the rotating assembly was sought after to make 383ci hot rod stroker engines using a 350 block. Now a days the 383 stroker kit is cheap and widely available so the market for the stock 400 cranks has gone down the toilet. It's a good crank but the aftermarket has taken most of the market.

I'm with Flybye on this in terms of value: $300-500. There are guys who still look for these blocks and there was a surge in interest in them a few years ago. They supposedly have high nickel content which makes them pretty strong. With the advent of the LS engine however, most old small block Chevy stuff is in the crapper in terms of value. If you get the chevelle engine mounts and a Chevy bolt pattern transmission you can use it in you Oldsmobile.