AutoXing and other 2016 scheduled events?

99StockGT

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I propose we ban all open-cockpit cars at UFO autox due to the insurmountable inherent danger built into their design. I implore the Honourable Chancellors to consider this.

An mgw shifter for the s550 would certainly make me realize how dangerous those vehicles really are. Currently I'm ok with them.

I would like to get into autocross this year, but have no idea where to start. I went to the Tail of the Dragon 3 times this year and it was the most fun I've had in my car. And already have my first trip planned for next year in April. Is there a site where I can see requirements, like helmet, registration fees etc?

There are various folks here on the forum that can help with the different clubs. I have been involved in SCCA autocross and road racing for 30+ years and happy to help with SCCA stuff. You can find out about events for the various clubs at their respective web sites. All clubs have their pro's and con's.

If you are just starting, don't worry too much about rules, classing, and car prep. Just reach out to the respective club and let them know you are just starting and ask what you need to do.

For SCCA:

• The Ohio Valley Region SCCA site is: http://www.ovr-scca.org
  • The schedule link is in the upper right of the home page. Note the 2016 schedule is not out yet.
  • The contact email for OVR SCCA is: ovrsolo@gmail.com
  • Typically, OVR has a Driver's School early in the year. I highly recommend it as you get coaching and a lot of runs.
  • There's a novice guide at: http://www.ovr-scca.org/_ovrclub/noviceguide/noviceguide.asp?hl=autocross.asp
  • Feel free to reach out direct to me as needed.

I have a red C5 Corvette my wife and I will be running. Hope to see you out there. Come up and introduce yourself.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
They drove Doc's Slingshot once last year at UFO. Although that would not be legal in the SCCA - you have to have a 4-wheeled vehicle for that...

Yes I did. It was actually interesting driving it in autocross, an Ariel Atom must feel similar. Being open and just about able to touch the cones and all.

Obviously you can get away with a lot more stuff with the clubs then the SCCA, but my biggest like about the clubs is number of runs and lack of overly competitive people.

Well if the UFO at Mid Ohio is open to all, you can likely count at least 4 of our Lucore crew in for it. Yay racing season not far away!

We're just partnering with NASA. It's 100% a NASA event, open to all.

More to come.

We're just partnering with NASA. It's 100% a NASA event, open to all.

More to come.

Does that mean we all missed the early $350 price last night? Or is there a special ford club price? 8 sessions in 2 days?