04 Avalanche 2500 questions

Richard Cranium

Think I found a new tow rig. Anyone have any information I need to know about an 04 Avalanche 2500? Mileage is about 130,000. 3.73 gears. Carfax shows 1 accident functional damage. I've heard rumors the 8 liter engines are famous for burning oil. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

I really have nothing to share because a 2500 Avalanche with the 8.1 is pretty rare for a Chevy truck. I have never worked on one in that combination. To the best of my knowledge there shouldn't be anything other then typical mechanical issues to watch out for, I'd be curious if it has the Allison as I know they were put behind that engine in other trucks. It should be a pretty solid truck.

I knew someone that had one a few years back. Wheel bearings, Burning oil and eating gas was the reasons he sold it.

Wheel bearings happen to every GM vehicle, and eating gas in a big block truck should be a no brainer. I wish the 8.1 was more popular, maybe there would be more info as to them having oil issues.

Wheel bearings happen to every GM vehicle, and eating gas in a big block truck should be a no brainer. I wish the 8.1 was more popular, maybe there would be more info as to them having oil issues.

How much different is the L18 from previous gen big blocks? Aside from the 496 ci I hear there is a lot of interchange with gen III 454s.

Only thing I know about early avalanches was the body cladding went to shit really quickly. GM re coated some under warranty but not every truck got the fix.

I really have nothing to share because a 2500 Avalanche with the 8.1 is pretty rare for a Chevy truck. I have never worked on one in that combination. To the best of my knowledge there shouldn't be anything other then typical mechanical issues to watch out for, I'd be curious if it has the Allison as I know they were put behind that engine in other trucks. It should be a pretty solid truck.

I hadn't even thought about what transmission. Looks like a 4L85-E.

I guess I was aware if the wheel bearing issues, but not a big concern for me. The cladding could be an issue (hopefully the autobody guy at school can help with any issues there). Sounds like the biggest concern is burning oil. Think I'm going to take a look at it today and see what I can find out. My big question is what I'll find for rust.

They are work horse trucks. Cladding turns chalky, but its more of an aesthetic issue than a functional issue. My 2002 avy (1500) has the same issues with cladding.

Everyone who needs a hauling truck seems to like it. You keep on the maintenance and she will keep towing. They average 7-10mpg loaded, so don't think you are going to get some nice mpg from them. They get maybe 12-13mpg unloaded.

I hadn't even thought about what transmission. Looks like a 4L85-E.

I guess I was aware if the wheel bearing issues, but not a big concern for me. The cladding could be an issue (hopefully the autobody guy at school can help with any issues there). Sounds like the biggest concern is burning oil. Think I'm going to take a look at it today and see what I can find out. My big question is what I'll find for rust.

Dad's RV has the 8.1 in it and when we were doing research there were no red flag issues other than gas milage.