So I am making a change.

Cordell

I thought since I had shared my thoughts lately, I would share what I decided to do.

I have accepted a job at Jeg's to get off my feet and work in their call center. This may shock some of you, but to stay involved in cars there weren't many options. I can use the knowledge I have and rest my fucked up back. Hopefully after a few months of low physical stress I'll feel better and can start exercising. Getting away from flat rate with an hourly job will be nice too.

After next week I will no longer be working on cars professionally, and I have mixed feelings about this. I workes hard to get certs, and get to be decent at this job. However it's ruining the rest of my life. Maybe this summer I'll actually want to play with my toys again.

I'm just going to try and stay positive and roll with it.

I thought since I had shared my thoughts lately, I would share what I decided to do.

I have accepted a job at Jeg's to get off my feet and work in their call center. This may shock some of you, but to stay involved in cars there weren't many options. I can use the knowledge I have and rest my fucked up back. Hopefully after a few months of low physical stress I'll feel better and can start exercising. Getting away from flat rate with an hourly job will be nice too.

After next week I will no longer be working on cars professionally, and I have mixed feelings about this. I workes hard to get certs, and get to be decent at this job. However it's ruining the rest of my life. Maybe this summer I'll actually want to play with my toys again.

I'm just going to try and stay positive and roll with it.

I'm happy for you and I think it will be a great change.

If you need anything let me know.

Congrats scott . One thing to remember is now you will have time to heal. To get your back feeling better, and maybe one day if you WANT to .. you can go back to working on cars.. but sometimes you have ot look at the big picture and see what really needs to be done.

Congrats man - sounds like a good move. I hate to lose you as a trusted source on my LS-based vehicles but I am very happy for you.

I will still answer questions. Not to mention that's pretty much what my new job will be.

Congrats and have fun with it. Good phones skills and customer support remotely like that can take you far. Key really is to make it fun. I have seen people go from making $13hr in a production environment to over $140k via inside sales. A good friend of mine started in the warehouse operating a forklift moved to customer service, then inside sales now and outside sales and to this day he's been in sales ever since making big bucks. Good luck man!

Good for you for taking action and making a change. Maybe you'll find that in a few months of just talking about cars you'll want to get your hands dirty again and work on your own. Either way it can open up more doors to you in the future.

Just curious, you mentioned working hard on all of your Certs, do those Certs ever expire for any reason? If not I'm sure you can always use them to fall back on.

Good luck, no seriously good luck. Desk and call center jobs are not for everone. Stuff sucks at times.

Thats a haul from your place.

But sweet you will be down the road from me :D

11th ave there butternuts

They have call centers at both locations. I know it'll be a switch, I was in a call center 10 years ago as a debt collector. That job sucked for obvious reasons and I went back to wrenching. This won't be that bad so I'm just going to give it my best and try to make it work out.

Good for you for taking action and making a change. Maybe you'll find that in a few months of just talking about cars you'll want to get your hands dirty again and work on your own. Either way it can open up more doors to you in the future.

Just curious, you mentioned working hard on all of your Certs, do those Certs ever expire for any reason? If not I'm sure you can always use them to fall back on.

I have 11 ASE certs they're good for 5 years, they start expiring again for me in 2017. My GM training continually updates every year so it's one of those things that gets outdated over time, not really expires. If I should decide to get back into a dealership at some point I'm sure it's not going to be much of a hurdle.

Good luck. I need to get the hell out of the dealership one of these days. Is the pay comparable?

No not really comparable, but without telling you what I make it wasn't a big pay cut. Of course I feel like I was almost maxed out for what most techs make so it depends where you're at.