WWCRD - V. Tire vibration

jeffro

Unfortunately this isn't a "TD" only issue, a lot of shops go with Good Enough brand of alignments. Those of us who pay to run $250,000 Hunter machines don't typically give those away for free with a single new tire purchase, just to quote a recent radio ad. .

I no longer work for tire discounters...... BUT

all td's only have hunter alignment equipment most the newer shops, bethel rd, east broad, south hamilton, stelzer road all have 2 alignment racks/machines and road force balancers.

and here is an eye opener about why tire discounters is doing "free" alignments on every tire purchased.

3.5/4 years ago when I started at tire discounters it was a "BIG DEAL" to do 30k in service a month. These are stores selling 800-1200 tires a month doing 200k in sales. They open their eyes and realize they can make money selling service so then the goal becomes getting cars back in the shop for free rotations, balances, any excuse you can have to get the wheels off the car and look for other issues. When I left tire discounters my store was doing 45-60k in service per month on 150k of sales. This was mind blowing to them. I wasn't doing anything unethical or injust. Just fully inspecting the cars that came into our shops and presenting the findings to the customers.

rant off

not all tire discounters are bad. Maybe the one you took it to "delaware"? which used to be a solid store has changed in the last few years since i've been there.

Either way Jeffro get it to one of those newer stores that have roadforce machines. those tires are cheap but they were 95% round when we sold thm I had to adjust a couple out here and there for being oval.

I no longer work for tire discounters...... BUT

all td's only have hunter alignment equipment most the newer shops, bethel rd, east broad, south hamilton, stelzer road all have 2 alignment racks/machines and road force balancers.

and here is an eye opener about why tire discounters is doing "free" alignments on every tire purchased.

3.5/4 years ago when I started at tire discounters it was a "BIG DEAL" to do 30k in service a month. These are stores selling 800-1200 tires a month doing 200k in sales. They open their eyes and realize they can make money selling service so then the goal becomes getting cars back in the shop for free rotations, balances, any excuse you can have to get the wheels off the car and look for other issues. When I left tire discounters my store was doing 45-60k in service per month on 150k of sales. This was mind blowing to them. I wasn't doing anything unethical or injust. Just fully inspecting the cars that came into our shops and presenting the findings to the customers.

rant off

not all tire discounters are bad. Maybe the one you took it to "delaware"? which used to be a solid store has changed in the last few years since i've been there.

Either way Jeffro get it to one of those newer stores that have roadforce machines. those tires are cheap but they were 95% round when we sold thm I had to adjust a couple out here and there for being oval.

http://www.hunter.com/gsp9700 How correct do you suppose this is? If accurate, it says the TD on polaris has one. Youre saying if i call them and explain the situation they will allow me to take it there free of charge?

not sure how accurate the locater is but yes tire discounters are family owned stores let them know you've been to another store twice to get it resolved and it hasnt been. Make sure you ask if their roadforce machine is working. If you have any other problems i'll shoot you the cell of the district manager and you can call him at dinner time...lol. If you call and schedule an appt there should be no reason for 4/5 hr wait times.

IF they roadforce every tire and have to spin them on the rim it could take 90 mins/2hrs max

Edited by TurboRust

I've worked for the company twice. Not sure what store did this but alignments are only adjusted when there is an adjustment available from the factory. Every invoice packet has a copy of the alignment in it. If a cam bolt is rusted or seized in a bushing we arent going to break it trying to turn the numbers green. PM me more details and I will get whoever involved I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Couldnt take it anymore so took it back this morning. Explained the sitch and they said they would road force balance them. Didnt know they had one there, but fingers crossed this fixes the issue. Will report back when i get the car back.

Update:

Couldnt take it anymore so took it back this morning. Explained the sitch and they said they would road force balance them. Didnt know they had one there, but fingers crossed this fixes the issue. Will report back when i get the car back.

Inb4 you get cucked into paying for the service. It's all over boyo

If you go to the Polaris store on Gemini their GM is David and he is absolutely a top notch guy, I've known him and worked with him for years. Very upstanding guy, he will absolutely take care of you.

Derek I'm very well aware of how the business works, it's all about getting touches and presenting the customer with more of a full picture of their car/truck. Definitely nothing that's unethical or improper. The "free alignments" and such are just their type of loss leader, like Best Buy selling door busters and such to drive people in the door, or roofing companies with "free estimates".

All the same thing, get the item in from you with no cost to the customer for a value added service, and while you are there inspect and advise.

Road force complete. Vibration still present. They claimed the loose hubcaps are causing it. Shall remove hubcaps tonight and reevaluate. While i am in in there i will check the rotors for roundness then proceed from there.

At a loss here and starting to get frustrated. Took all 4 wheels off just to get the hub caps off only to still vibrate at 60mph. Checked the rotors while i was in there and they're all straight as a can be. I am now on my 4th visit back and each time takes several hours out of my day. Getting old real quick.

At a loss here and starting to get frustrated.

They are cheap, out of round, china tires.

Bingo. Buy new tires for under $50 and wonder why they suck.

^^^

Get a set of real tires and I bet your problems will be solved. It wasn't vibrating with the old tires, correct? You're over thinking this

^^^

Get a set of real tires and I bet your problems will be solved. It wasn't vibrating with the old tires, correct? You're over thinking this

Yep.

You are buying cheap tires, no too sure why you are expecting top of the line tire performance.