People Who Tune, What Laptop?

wagner

Dell Latitude d630, add in a battery and you're good to go.

this.

But I have a Dell D610 with an extra battery that gives me 5ish hours of battery life depending on how bright I have the screen.

That and I'm still running windows XP on it and using tuning software from 2002.

I'd say just about anything with a *real* serial port (whether built-in or through a docking station/port replicator) ought to cover you. USB to RS232 adapters don't always play nicely with the devices they connect to... you'd be surprised how often customers at my office will attempt to use them with their Cisco/Juniper/whatever gear, and it just doesn't work. We hand them our loaner/emergency laptop with the replicator, and poof! Instant success.

Dell Latitude d630, add in a battery and you're good to go.

this.

But I have a Dell D610 with an extra battery that gives me 5ish hours of battery life depending on how bright I have the screen.

That and I'm still running windows XP on it and using tuning software from 2002.

These, I always used an older Dell with a hardware serial port built in, plus parts and accessories are usually had for cheap.

So are there any current in production computers that would be an option? I really don't know if I'm okay with buying one of these older Dell rigs used unless I knew the person I was buying from.

God knows what some mouth breather has done to it or if it will last based on prior use. The last thing I want is the unit to die while in the middle of a flash or something.

A SSD would be a plus even if it's small if you plan to keep it connected for logging. That way vibration or falling on the floor isn't going to damage the drive and screw things up, or at best a spinning drive would park its heads for protection and stop writing and cause the system to hang for a few moments missing data.

I'm looking at one of these...or something similar.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/459137/Aspire_ES1-512-C1PW_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Diamond_Black

IMO don't get something old.. I mean yeah the serial port is important for some things.... but does your stuff require a serial port or is it USB?

+1 on the SSD not only is it shock proof, it will also speed the computer up a lot.

I'm looking at one of these...or something similar.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/459137/Aspire_ES1-512-C1PW_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Diamond_Black

IMO don't get something old.. I mean yeah the serial port is important for some things.... but does your stuff require a serial port or is it USB?

+1 on the SSD not only is it shock proof, it will also speed the computer up a lot.

Yeah, its all USB so the serial port is really not needed.

I really don't want to use my work laptop to tune with anymore.

I'd be tempted to go with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8WV3X98560

Has a com port, built to take abuse.

Hmmm, I'll put that on the side burning device for sure.

I'm going to talk to the kids at MicroCenter to see what they have. the $250 range is right what I'm looking to sepnd for sure.

Yeah, its all USB so the serial port is really not needed.

I really don't want to use my work laptop to tune with anymore.

If you can go USB, then yeah pick up whatever. Like the used Dell in the FS section by some mouth breather named gillbot..... :p;)

Ive been using an older compaq nc8430 pc for a while..... its been ok and i picked it up pretty cheap off craigslist.

But after adding more ram(4gb) and installing a new battery and having to get a new charger i wish i would have got something newer and better from the get go. Battery life even with the new battery sucks and the charger acts kind of goofy in the car which might be just an issue with low rpm voltage....

Anyways i bit the bullet and purchased a newer lenovo t430 thinkpad off ebay last night for 215$, has quad core processor, 4gb ram 120gb ssd, windows 7pro, and comes with a charger.

Only issue guy said is the battery is pretty crappy which is fine ill throw a new extended battery in it for 70$ and get hopefully 5 hours on battery out of it.

We use these same laptops at work and ive been pretty impressed with them so far and the price was right for me going through ebay.

Me personally im not sure i would want any operating system past windows 7 as it seems like some tuning software and logging software doesnt like to play nice with windows 8/10.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If you can go USB, then yeah pick up whatever. Like the used Dell in the FS section by some mouth breather named gillbot..... :p;)

Hey man, i was really thinking about swooping yours up..... but its a bit big for my taste when it comes to logging/tuning.

Hell of a deal for sure!!!! Maybe you'll find someone who likes/can handle the bigger laptop [emoji23] bahahahahahah good luck!!!

Hey man, i was really thinking about swooping yours up..... but its a bit big for my taste when it comes to logging/tuning.

Hell of a deal for sure!!!! Maybe you'll find someone who likes/can handle the bigger laptop [emoji23] bahahahahahah good luck!!!

Yeah it is bigger but the extra screen space for logging is for us old folks. :lolguy: