What to do...

dover

It's a 1000hp 7 year old race car with zero warranty that has had 72k of the hardest miles known to man. A stage 1.5 trans isn't enough for 1000hp. And that's likely 1000hp on kill mode. Probably rolls around town at 800-850hp. I killed my stock trans with simple bolt ons and am going with a stage two trans. I don't plan on having 1000hp, but if I did, I would build the motor and add billet gears to the trans.

Not that it's not impressive. Sure the car will be fast as balls. It's a nine second car all day long and probably mid 9's at that. But when everything rattles like crazy, and the motor/trans pops, you'll wish you would have bought the $65k, 10 second factory car with the new car scent and 5 year warranty. You'll be stuck with a broken car that needs $10k to fix, and will be down for 4-6 months.

:popcorn:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a 1000hp 7 year old race car with zero warranty that has had 72k of the hardest miles known to man. A stage 1.5 trans isn't enough for 1000hp. And that's likely 1000hp on kill mode. Probably rolls around town at 800-850hp. I killed my stock trans with simple bolt ons and am going with a stage two trans. I don't plan on having 1000hp, but if I did, I would build the motor and add billet gears to the trans.

Not that it's not impressive. Sure the car will be fast as balls. It's a nine second car all day long and probably mid 9's at that. But when everything rattles like crazy, and the motor/trans pops, you'll wish you would have bought the $65k, 10 second factory car with the new car scent and 5 year warranty. You'll be stuck with a broken car that needs $10k to fix, and will be down for 4-6 months.

Car was owned by an old man in Florida up till 45,000 miles. At that point a good buddy of mine (who is also now our head technician) bought it.

He DD'd the car. (when weather was nice)

Never made a single 1/4 mile pass.

When the car had about 62k miles on it some asshole put sugar in the gas tank that caused a failure. Instead of replacing the motor with stock (insurance paid) he had it built. The next 10k miles he continued to DD the car when the weather was nice. Car hasn't ever made a SINGLE 1/4 mile pass. It has had very few launches at all (verified through ecutek) Aside from the occasional highway pull against me, the car wasn't ever raced.

On to the trans. It's IVEY trans.. not a Shep trans. So the numbers are a little different. An Ivey 1.5+ is equal to a Shep stage 3. For reference, about a dozen cars have went DEEP 8s on an Ivey 1.5+ (same trans as this car)

[if you are comparing it to a Jacks trans... well they ALL suck]

At this point, the car is very over built. You would be more likely to experience a failure at full bolt on level, than you would with this car. Trans is also smoother than stock.

Have you driven any 1000hp (crank) GTRs built at a reputable shop? They are nothing like 1000hp built anything else. The cars lose zero driveability. They usually end up running smoother than stock.

Car was owned by an old man in Florida up till 45,000 miles. At that point a good buddy of mine (who is also now our head technician) bought it.

He DD'd the car. (when weather was nice)

Never made a single 1/4 mile pass.

When the car had about 62k miles on it some asshole put sugar in the gas tank that caused a failure. Instead of replacing the motor with stock (insurance paid) he had it built. The next 10k miles he continued to DD the car when the weather was nice. Car hasn't ever made a SINGLE 1/4 mile pass. It has had very few launches at all (verified through ecutek) Aside from the occasional highway pull against me, the car wasn't ever raced.

On to the trans. It's IVEY trans.. not a Shep trans. So the numbers are a little different. An Ivey 1.5+ is equal to a Shep stage 3. For reference, about a dozen cars have went DEEP 8s on an Ivey 1.5+ (same trans as this car)

[if you are comparing it to a Jacks trans... well they ALL suck]

At this point, the car is very over built. You would be more likely to experience a failure at full bolt on level, than you would with this car. Trans is also smoother than stock.

Have you driven any 1000hp (crank) GTRs built at a reputable shop? They are nothing like 1000hp built anything else. The cars lose zero driveability. They usually end up running smoother than stock.

I've never even stood next to 1000hp crank car. :dumb:

If 1000 hp drives better, and is smoother than stock, then why the fuck doesn't Nissan make them that way in the first place? Are you telling me the guys at the shops are better than Nissan engineers??

My car has only been down the 1/4 mile 5 times, but I can tell you if Nissan would have pulled the black box on my car prior to the trans quitting, they would have laughed in my face for trying to warranty the car.

Bottom line it's a 1000hp, 7 year old car, with zero warranty. I wouldn't buy it, and I tend to buy cars in this price range on a whim/dare/challenge. I've been on the forum long enough to see the op post struggles with previous highly modified cars, and my recommendation takes that HIGHLY into account.

M3? It is around 500 pounds lighter than the CTS-V but slightly slower because it has less horsepower stock. If you don't want a CTS-V then it may be an alternative.

CTS-V fits most of your criteria for a new car in that price range though. I've never driven one but on paper it is an impressive beast.

I typed a few responses, and they never came out the way I intended. So I trimmed it down to just this:

If 1000 hp drives better, and is smoother than stock, then why the fuck doesn't Nissan make them that way in the first place? Are you telling me the guys at the shops are better than Nissan engineers??

It's up to the shops to be competent enough to do the installs, tunes, etc. But that doesn't make them better than Nissans engineers. If anything it makes Dodson, Manley, Injector Dynamics, Garrett, and other engineers better than Nissan. In reality.. They aren't "better". They just aren't stuck inside the same restraints as Nissan in many facets, including but not limited to: budget, mass availability, emission compliance, contract negotiations, etc.

I'm not arguing to argue. I'm not even trying to talk Dover into the car at this point. I'm just trying to clear up some common misconceptions. I've driven well over 30 GTRs. Everything from bone stock up to 1400hp. I would personally trust this car more than a full bolt on GTR as far as reliability goes. For what it's worth, I built my personal car to almost the same specs. So I'm not just SAYING that I believe this is the way to go... I actually chose the same path for myself after driving just about every combo available.

I typed a few responses, and they never came out the way I intended. So I trimmed it down to just this:

It's up to the shops to be competent enough to do the installs, tunes, etc. But that doesn't make them better than Nissans engineers. If anything it makes Dodson, Manley, Injector Dynamics, Garrett, and other engineers better than Nissan. In reality.. They aren't "better". They just aren't stuck inside the same restraints as Nissan in many facets, including but not limited to: budget, mass availability, emission compliance, contract negotiations, etc.

I'm not arguing to argue. I'm not even trying to talk Dover into the car at this point. I'm just trying to clear up some common misconceptions. I've driven well over 30 GTRs. Everything from bone stock up to 1400hp. I would personally trust this car more than a full bolt on GTR as far as reliability goes. For what it's worth, I built my personal car to almost the same specs. So I'm not just SAYING that I believe this is the way to go... I actually chose the same path for myself after driving just about every combo available.

I get it. Not trying to give you a hard time. I'd love to own a 1000+hp gtr or ugr lambo. What prevents me is the hassle of dealing with things when they break. And they almost always break at some point. It's not a huge deal to swing the $10k+ to put an upgraded trans in my gtr. Just the hassle of finding a shop to handle the job, taking it there, following up on shit, and waiting months because shep is back logged. I could only imagine getting a modded lambo out of butt fuck nowhere to get fixed.

There's something to be said about walking off the lot with a factory fresh 640hp car that you can drive the ever living fuck out of, and take 5 miles down the road if you break anything. Zero anxiety about driving the car how you want at all times. Total piece of mind. Especially if the car will see serious mileage and be relied on for child transport duty.

Ok - I came across this on FB this morning and I want it soooo bad:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160423/3c10deba09371eebe46fee3ea9aac172.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160423/3ee720d74ebf55921c37500a918c9372.jpg

Corvette C7R edition...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get it. Not trying to give you a hard time. I'd love to own a 1000+hp gtr or ugr lambo. What prevents me is the hassle of dealing with things when they break. And they almost always break at some point. It's not a huge deal to swing the $10k+ to put an upgraded trans in my gtr. Just the hassle of finding a shop to handle the job, taking it there, following up on shit, and waiting months because shep is back logged. I could only imagine getting a modded lambo out of butt fuck nowhere to get fixed.

There's something to be said about walking off the lot with a factory fresh 640hp car that you can drive the ever living fuck out of, and take 5 miles down the road if you break anything. Zero anxiety about driving the car how you want at all times. Total piece of mind. Especially if the car will see serious mileage and be relied on for child transport duty.

This, especially since gm has already said they will even cover track used cars as long as they are highly modded.

Helluva thread, thank you all for the info and points! Haha Jordan I knew you were going to throw a GTR at me since I have asked you about a half a dozen times to find me one!

I still don't know how I feel about the front but I am sure an aftermarket grill will come out or a nice fat heat exchanger could fix it :)

http://autoguide.com.vsassets.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/2017-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-live-photos-3-23-2016/2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-Grille-02.jpg

http://autoguide.com.vsassets.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/2017-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-live-photos-3-23-2016/2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-Front-08.jpg

Helluva thread, thank you all for the info and points! Haha Jordan I knew you were going to throw a GTR at me since I have asked you about a half a dozen times to find me one!

I still don't know how I feel about the front but I am sure an aftermarket grill will come out or a nice fat heat exchanger could fix it :)

http://autoguide.com.vsassets.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/2017-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-live-photos-3-23-2016/2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-Front-08.jpg

^^ I'd rock that just like it sits. No need to do anything further IMO. Bad Ass.