Upgrading the wife's car

The_buster

We're looking at getting the wife a new car. Time frame would be late summer early fall, as the oldest is in dance and has just started the competition side within the last few months. This vehicle would need to be able to go long distances and get decent mileage, some competitions are out of state. She has a 2001 CRV right now. She doesn't want to buy new and have the depreciation hit us after we drive away. Would like to be less than 10 years old preferably closer to the 5 and under range.

Here are her wants/requirements

Bigger suv style/ possible minivan

Relatively decent gas mileage

Used- but still newer

Less than 50k miles on it

Good amount of rear storage

Wants to stay under 20k

She would like to have 3rd row seating, and really wants steering wheel mounted controls but thats not super important she just keeps saying she wants them. She's not really picky about brands/models.

list of vehicles she has shown interest in:

Avalanche/Ridgeline

Sportage

Newer CRV

Grand Caravan

Sienna

Subaru Crosstrek-still might be too new and out of our price range

Really just wanting opinions and thoughts on the list of vehicles, or if there are others to consider please list. We'er just in the research and looking faze right now. Not sure if the AWD/4WD is an issue for her or not, the CRV she has now is only fwd.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing you listed has a 3rd row besides the minivans. Look for a Honda Pilot/Acura MDX if that's a must.

If you don't need the 3rd row and just want something roomy with great mileage then pick up a used VW Passat TDi right now while the market is low.

Minivan, minivan, minivan.

Don't look at anything else. Any kind of minivan, just let her drive a few different kinds and pick what she likes best. Do not consider anything but a minivan. Looking at your criteria, there are no other options that make sense.

Seriously, get a minivan.

Don't look at anything else. Any kind of minivan, just let her drive a few different kinds and pick what she likes best. Do not consider anything but a minivan. Looking at your criteria, there are no other options that make sense.

This. I would stay away from caravans though if you want reliability.

+1

+1.

Love the minivan. Fuck the shitty Dodge Journey.

This. I would stay away from caravans though if you want reliability.

caravans are rock solid up to about 80k, then the trans can get iffy. Other than brakes and oil changes, I've never had an issue with one ever up to ~90k. Some went a bit more, some a tick less but up until then they've been rock solid for me and I've been through nearly a dozen of them. Plus parts are usually fairly cheap too and they are easy to work on.

Dodge Journey.

Same platform as the van, less space and a useless vehicle. Do not buy.

+1.

Love the minivan. Fuck the shitty Dodge Journey.

This ^

caravans are rock solid up to about 80k, then the trans can get iffy. Other than brakes and oil changes, I've never had an issue with one ever up to ~90k. Some went a bit more, some a tick less but up until then they've been rock solid for me and I've been through nearly a dozen of them. Plus parts are usually fairly cheap too and they are easy to work on.

This ^

luckily I am now an apprentice to the transmission guy at work. I can pull them but haven't done any internals aside from valve body's yet. She really likes the sienna, so I'll have her drive a couple and a Grand Caravan.

As for the Avalanche being on the list. That was just a list of vehicles she has shown an interest in. Trying to figure out what she wants is a chore in itself.

My ex picked up a 2005 Odyssey for $5,500 with 100k miles on it, so I'm sure you could find one under 50k miles and still be in your budget. I drove hers a few times and it was actually quite nice. Plenty of room, comfortable, and it felt pretty solid.

98k miles on our 2010, and as I look at the Odizzle above I can't imagine keeping it that clean. The thing just grows dents and scraped bumper corners.

Still drives awesome so I don't worry about body rash...just keep it clean and maintained.

Also, an older Mazda MPV is another great van option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-MPV-/311568587326?forcerrptr=true&hash=item488aef5a3e:g:d1wAAOSwZetXOaj~&item=311568587326

Actually it's the Avenger/Sebring platform, not the minivan. You can probably pick up a Journey for cheap, but a van would be a better family car, IMHO. The new Pacifica is really nice.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I had this same conversation with my Gf the other day. In all honesty i'll probably buy a minivan at some point regardless if I have kids or not. Yeah they're boring but they just make the most sense and they're the most practical for what I would use it for.

Get a mini, fuck the stigma that comes along with it.

Subaru Crosstrek-still might be too new and out of our price range

My wife is still lobbying hard for a subaru crosstrek as a replacement for the audi when it comes time. Here are my thoughts as to why it is not great for what you are talking about:

- Size: It's just a lifted impreza. So space wise it isn't bigger than an impreza. for me and my family it's the perfect size but that comes from living in NYC and learning to live with compact cars. Compared to a minivan, the minivan kicks the crosstrek's ass every day of the week and 4 times on Sunday in the space department. Nobody every regretted the space they had and didn't use but when traveling plenty have regretted not having enough room.

- Mileage. Actually I have never heard anyone complain about the mileage. I drove two testers last year at dealers and it seemed fine. Chances are loaded down I can't see it getting the high side, esp if it is overloaded.

- Speed. the two I have driven are slow. I mean I expected it to be slow because it is 148hp moving an AWD midsize wagon. It's not unsafe slow, but it def felt like a step down from the 2.0T turbo in the audi. If they made a WRX powered one, I think I would fall over myself to buy one. Wife wants a manual car so it meant we were stuck with a "premium" model (as opposed to base or high end limited) which is just one up from base.

- Price. As new cars go it is a decent amount of car for the money. However, a quick search for leftover 2015 units on cars.com showed 73 left overs - some of them 2014 models nation wide. Seriously these things are nailed to dealer lots. I have seen as much as $4000 for msrp before any qualifying discounts or rebates. The cheapest one I found was still $22K for a new one, but I betcha if you were a good haggler you could do something. If the company you work for is a subaru partner you get pretty good discounts.

Overall it's a nice car, I just don't see it being an "upgrade" for your from the CRV and what you want to do.

My wife is still lobbying hard for a subaru crosstrek as a replacement for the audi when it comes time. Here are my thoughts as to why it is not great for what you are talking about:

- Size: It's just a lifted impreza. So space wise it isn't bigger than an impreza. for me and my family it's the perfect size but that comes from living in NYC and learning to live with compact cars. Compared to a minivan, the minivan kicks the crosstrek's ass every day of the week and 4 times on Sunday in the space department. Nobody every regretted the space they had and didn't use but when traveling plenty have regretted not having enough room.

- Mileage. Actually I have never heard anyone complain about the mileage. I drove two testers last year at dealers and it seemed fine. Chances are loaded down I can't see it getting the high side, esp if it is overloaded.

- Speed. the two I have driven are slow. I mean I expected it to be slow because it is 148hp moving an AWD midsize wagon. It's not unsafe slow, but it def felt like a step down from the 2.0T turbo in the audi. If they made a WRX powered one, I think I would fall over myself to buy one. Wife wants a manual car so it meant we were stuck with a "premium" model (as opposed to base or high end limited) which is just one up from base.

- Price. As new cars go it is a decent amount of car for the money. However, a quick search for leftover 2015 units on cars.com showed 73 left overs - some of them 2014 models nation wide. Seriously these things are nailed to dealer lots. I have seen as much as $4000 for msrp before any qualifying discounts or rebates. The cheapest one I found was still $22K for a new one, but I betcha if you were a good haggler you could do something. If the company you work for is a subaru partner you get pretty good discounts.

Overall it's a nice car, I just don't see it being an "upgrade" for your from the CRV and what you want to do.

IIRC the only functional difference between XV and Impreza is towing capacity. Other than that, it's just an appearance package, suspension lift, and price tag

Thanks Geeto67, a lot of information about those that I haven't dug into yet. After talking with her some more she says 3rd row isn't a necessity but would be nice if we have to take the kids friends anywhere. She mainly wants more space. Minivans are still an option, but any ideas on the bigger suv's to look into?

for SUVs...People are going to hate me for this suggestion but....

2009 Chrysler Aspen. They were the luxury version of the Dodge Durango and cost $45K new in 2009. Average price for an under 100k mile example right now is between $13-17K or in dodge terms, they experienced slightly less depreciation than toilet paper or a Chrysler 200 rental car.

There is a hybrid hemi AWD version if you can find it that gets 20mpg on the highway (yeah it's awful I know). Even for a luxury Mopar the interior can best be described as premium rental car spec (plastic fake wood grain instead of just gray plastic), but it does have a 3rd seat. Here is the closest one on cars.com: a 128K mile example with the hemi hybrid (376hp or so I am told) for $11K.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667018146/overview/

Only negative thing I have heard about them is the front suspension goes sloppy fast.

the other SUV I would look at, and this really is just because I am an unabashed jeep guy, is the Jeep commander. I have heard they have front axle issues but other than that people seem to love them. I would personally only look at the V8 because it is a lot of heft for the 3.8L v6 to haul around and the mileage is actually worse.

here is one for example price:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/661738029/overview/