Upgrading the wife's car

The_buster

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for SUVs...People are going to hate me for this suggestion but....

2009 Chrysler Aspen. They were the luxury version of the Dodge Durango and cost $45K new in 2009. Average price for an under 100k mile example right now is between $13-17K or in dodge terms, they experienced slightly less depreciation than toilet paper or a Chrysler 200 rental car.

There is a hybrid hemi AWD version if you can find it that gets 20mpg on the highway (yeah it's awful I know). Even for a luxury Mopar the interior can best be described as premium rental car spec (plastic fake wood grain instead of just gray plastic), but it does have a 3rd seat. Here is the closest one on cars.com: a 128K mile example with the hemi hybrid (376hp or so I am told) for $11K.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667018146/overview/

Only negative thing I have heard about them is the front suspension goes sloppy fast.

the other SUV I would look at, and this really is just because I am an unabashed jeep guy, is the Jeep commander. I have heard they have front axle issues but other than that people seem to love them. I would personally only look at the V8 because it is a lot of heft for the 3.8L v6 to haul around and the mileage is actually worse.

here is one for example price:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/661738029/overview/

Even if you find a Hybrid Aspen, avoid it like the plague.

The Commander is based on the WK Grand Cherokee. Avoid the 3.7 V6, the 4.7 was decent, and you know about the Hemi. All should get about the same mileage.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Why not drive your current car into the ground? It sounds like it offers everything you need except new looks and the unneeded 3rd row.

It's halfway there already. We need more space for hauling luggage for dance competitions and vacations. We plan on patching it up and giving it to her mom so she has something to use.

That Aspen might be the single worse recommendation I have ever seen anyone give to anybody for anything here on CR. Like it's so bad The Buster might actually buy one.

Yeah, the Journey is even a better choice if it's 2011+. It's got decent cargo space, the rear doors open a full 90 degrees for loading kids easier (never park next to one at the store), and the floor in the back seat has hidden, waterproof storage that he could fill with ice and Mt Dew. Gas mileage isn't great, but you can get almost 300 HP and AWD.

Even if you find a Hybrid Aspen, avoid it like the plague

Can you elaborate? I mean it's just a gussied up Durango right?

Don't you work for mopar? It piques my interest when someone says "don't buy our products".

Can you elaborate? I mean it's just a gussied up Durango right?

Don't you work for mopar? It piques my interest when someone says "don't buy our products".

In total they made 500 Aspen/Durango Hybrids. There are a lot of unique parts to make it a Hybrid. If something breaks, good luck getting parts for it, or even finding a tech that knows how to work on it.

The base car is fine, just avoid the hybrid, although I was never much a fan of that body. The Aspen looked less like a hippo.

In total they made 500 Aspen/Durango Hybrids. There are a lot of unique parts to make it a Hybrid. If something breaks, good luck getting parts for it, or even finding a tech that knows how to work on it.

I didn't realize they made so few of them, I saw a charcoal gray one on my way home on 270 yesterday (yes a hybrid hemi).

You want an Odyssey. My parents bought a new 2014 and it is great. They already put a lot of miles on it and its fine. I've drove it long distance filled with a few adults and lots of kids. It felt perfect and I never felt like I was out of control. They should all have cameras on the passenger mirror and back of the van. Your wife should have no issues maneuvering it.

Also if you take out all of the seats in the back it stores a lot of shit. We got tons of hardwood floor planks and drove to Mansfield multiple times. She got better gas mileage than doing the same thing with a truck.

Bigger suv style

Less than 50k miles on it

Wants to stay under 20k

Pick 2 because you can't have all 3.

Unless, you go minivan.

Sub 24k miles, under $20k. All the space the mini busters and friends need.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=43081&endYear=2017&modelCode1=ODYSSEY&showcaseOwnerId=55782018&makeCode1=HONDA&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=25&maxPrice=20000&showcaseListingId=429396713&mmt=%5BHONDA%5BODYSSEY%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=428365652&Log=0

Thoughts on the 08 and up Forrester/outbacks? She's mentioned a few times that she really likes those.

Expect that the head gaskets are going to go at about 100k miles. $2000 job (heads should be resurfaced). Or look for one with the gaskets already done.

• 3 weeks later...
She has decided on either a forester or outback, depending on how she likes ride quality. What are the main differences between the two? All I can tell is the outback seems a bit bigger...

The Outback is for democratic yuppies and the Forester is for lesbians.

Seriously though there isn't huge difference besides the obvious trim and such.

Looking for a car. People post 30 options and opinions. OP narrows down to a few interests. People destroy hopes and dreams. I'm confident that regardless of what is bought, CR will say "xxxxxx" is a POS and has 1,xxx problems. OP ends up buying a bicycle for wife because he was scared off by CR's car critics. Wife hates OP in the Winter and divorces him for the Doctor with a Tesla.

OP, you claim to know how to do maintenance and care for a car. Do that, and don't mod the car.

I have daily driven a Subaru since 2005. In 2008 I had a head gasket issue. I have upgraded Subaru's two times since then, with no issues. All previous cars are still running well. We have a 2015 Outback also and love it. We have driven it to Vermont a few times, and to Ontario last Summer. It's comfortable, has plenty of room, and the features are what you would expect for this level of car. If you get the CTV, remember to drive it as a daily, not a get away car. We get 29-32mpg in the Outback.