5.3 ls newbie questions

TurboRust

Trying to help advise a friend on a swap. Looking to stay n/a and as much compression as possible with e85. Tea stg 2 ported 5.3 heads bored out to 3.905 or 3.910 to get near a 5.7. Can this be done with just pistons on the stock 5.3 rods and recommend a cam for some power in a light car with a t56. Once again never will be boosted at all just looking to make 400ish whp with heads cam c

Bored out and not going to a stroker kit. Thanks yall

Do you have your heads purchased yet? I have some PRC 2.5 5.3L heads with .675'' springs and all the other goodies. I need bigger heads on my 408.

Either way, a punched out 5.3 with a cam and decent heads should have no issue hitting the 400whp mark. What intake manifold are you going to be running? If you want high compression youll be limited on cam size unless you do some type of valve relief.

The rods are basically the same, so to answer your questions, yes it'll work. Obviously it should be rebalanced. I would try to stay with a stock LS1 bore of 3.898, or close to it. Some people have reported getting close to the coolant jacket on some blocks. I have never done it, but I wouldn't want to create a cooling issue.

chad did you go with just stock ls1 pistons and rods or use 5.3 rods and 5.7 pistons(5.3 rods "look" so much beefier) and for this going in an is300 and staying as a fun street car more than doubling the whp of its current state so getting to the 5.7 displacement is fine

probably an ls6 intake if a fast doesn't pop up cheap during the build

Edited by TurboRust

Used stock pistons and rods out of a trans am, using an fbody crank since its gun drilled. The cost per hp for me to get a fast wasn't in the budget since I already had a shaner s2 throttle body and the ls6 intake sitting around. I've been beating on t with ls6 rod bolts for four years and man hard hard miles and it just goes everytime I turn the key lol

Planned on having it lightened and balanced by m&m during the build.. the 5.3 rods look so much beefier I think it's in his budget to go with new pistons so some flat tops were my thought to bump compression since it'll stay n/a the whole time