Why people back into parking space?

Forrest Gump 9

I was just wondering if there is any real reasons why people back into parking space?

I saw a jackass backing in and out the parking space about ten times so he can go get his juice. Parking job took about ten minutes and the juice take 30 seconds.

Also, many times I see car A backed into parking space. Car B from across start backing out just to see the car A backed out again try to align in the parking space.

The only time I back into a parking space so I wouldn't tear up the CF lip.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I back in most of the time. It's easier to maneuver in reverse, especially in small lots. It provides the ability to turn in a tighter circle and using the mirrors and reverse camera I can 100% see the sides of the car, tires if there's a curb, etc. vs using judgement when pulling in.

It also saves the front clip of my car from snagging on a curb or parking block. Although I have seen lowered cars fuck up their rear valence and at Pei Wei on Sawmill I watched an STi nail his muffler on the curb outside their entrance and fold it big time. Sounds like the guy you saw needs to practice a bit more.

Save

I look at people that back in as proud-entitled goody2-shoes that were told to do it while growing up and haven't been able to see past the reflex of doing it every time. This girl that used to work for me did it every day in her Ford Fusion and it made me cringe every time.

For all the car guys saying that they do it for front-end preservation. I buy that. Carry on.

It's about the exit, when I do it. I'm not trying to have to check 20 times for some dipshit to walk behind my car while I back out. It's that "get in and go", that makes it worth it. Always have an exit plan, and make it fast.

People who can't back a car up and park straight, annoy the hell out of me. Like their parents didn't do their job.

A few reasons in my case and, no, it doesn't take me 10 minutes to park and, no, it doesn't take me 10 points to position a vehicle into a spot.

1. Most of my vehicles have a very low ride height in the front and I want the the vehicle to be parked as much away from the traffic as possible. In the case of the truck, the rear has more overhang then the front, so when parked with tail-end in, the front end is positioned at the most distance away from traffic; granted that there was a parking stop and not just an open spot.

2. For my job, I drive a panel van for a good part. While it has a reverse-view camera, it covers very little of the view of the cross traffic; it covers mostly, well, rear view. When I back the van up into a spot, I don't need to worry about the non-existent cross traffic and when it's time to depart, it is easier and quicker thus safety and speed are preserved.

3. Again, related to my job, I want a clear and direct escape path in front of the van at all times. Unless it's an open, pull-through spot belonging to double-row parking arrangement, the van will always be backed up into a spot.

4. Rear-steering has more maneuverability. In a tight parking lot with single rows, I much prefer backing up any vehicle into a spot.

The most important thing is because very much so I want to be THE JACKASS car enthusiast showing off my driving skills by backing up into a parking spot in one sweep.

Ever been to CC&C or any car-related events? Those fucking jackasses ...

If you ask my wife the story of the first time we met she will tell you about how she was impressed I managed to back my truck into a small space in one shot.

So I back in because it gets chicks...

I look at people that back in as proud-entitled goody2-shoes that were told to do it while growing up and haven't been able to see past the reflex of doing it every time. This girl that used to work for me did it every day in her Ford Fusion and it made me cringe every time.

For all the car guys saying that they do it for front-end preservation. I buy that. Carry on.

People who back in are entitled? Wow. I guess you back in everywhere huh?

when i show up at a bar sober and i back into my parking spot i am assuming that risk when i am sober and i am more comfortable with it then. When i leave the bar and i am hammered drunk i don't want to have to fuss with backing out of a space and try not to hit other cars when im drunk. so if you back in sober, then you can just pull straight out when you leave drunk.

On a serious note though, its way safer if you back in so when you are ready to leave its easier to get out. Any parking garage down town will prove this when a concert/sporting event lets out.

I was actually at a client's office the other day and all of the parking up at the front of the building was back-in parking only. They said it's such a high traffic area in the front of the building that it's much safer to mandate that parking be back-in only.

I think it really depends on the situation, I almost always pull forward into a parking stall unless it's a busy ramp or parking lot. Definitely is easier to get out pulling forward, than backing out and certainly much safer. If it's a high curb or I am concerned about front end damage, I almost always back in. However with the new automatic parking features of the Tesla, it will only back into parking spots, which according to Elon musk was the original way parking lots were designed to be used. I have to say with the automatic parking feature, it takes only a couple seconds to back into a stall and certainly makes departing that stall much easier. The biggest problem in backing into a parking spot, is the person that pulls right up on your ass not knowing that you're going to be backing in.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/transport/2011/02/youre_parking_wrong.html

Its annoying watching a pleb back into a spot, it's a slow dance on 4-6 loops. Downtown parking garages are dangerous. If I"m surrounded by SUV's and backing out of a spot I can't see from the Mustang. I've seen multi-Dilbert pile ups in the garages before. If I cant secure a corner spot I back in unless im close to behind schedule.

Its annoying watching a pleb back into a spot, it's a slow dance on 4-6 loops. Downtown parking garages are dangerous. If I"m surrounded by SUV's and backing out of a spot I can't see from the Mustang. I've seen multi-Dilbert pile ups in the garages before. If I cant secure a corner spot I back in unless im close to behind schedule.

You need that private parking garage. But depending on where I park in our parking garage I will back in as people tend to fly outta there when leaving. I have seen and waited on a woman with a new fusion rely totally on her back up camera and pull in and out of her spot multiple times. Then I back right in on the first try.

Personally my kiddos car seat is on the drivers side...I can usually back in and nudge the passenger side up close to the curb or handicrap spots....then I have all the rooms on the driver side to access the kid.

The FJ has suicide rear doors so I need all the space I can get with that one.

I guess the whole backing in thing would depend if the curb or open space is on the right where I cant just pull in.

Lastly...back up cameras. They are kind of fun. Ill back up our 2015 just to use it....can see the curb easier than out the windshield!

I do pretty often. Safer and easier to pull out when leaving, and to keep my skills at 100, homie. But I usually get it right the first time. Gotta stay sharp with an fx4 with a 157" box.

Just depends on the situation for me. If I know I'll be leaving a busy, high traffic area (say a basketball game where everybody exits roughly together), I will back in to make my exit safer/easier. I don't typically back in, nor into angled spaces like Joe mentioned, but it has it's uses.

I do have a pet peev about folks in general that can't park straight, and backing in seems to compound that.

Out on a limb assumption here. Of the people who back in, are you the always early everywhere you go person?

I'm posting this, backed in, waiting for my 9am appointment.

That would be me. Plus, I love the people watching while waiting.