What should I look at that's manual, RWD and a convertible

Trouble Maker

That's the c4 ZR1, going to be hard to get a convertible since they only made 1 and it fell into a sink hole.

Still, as someone who grew up with a c4 zr1 targa, the car is fucking fantastic.

Not a fan of corvettes, but I've wanted a c4 zr1 forever. Maybe one day I will take up smoking and purchase some gold chains.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What cars have you previously owned?

Dailys/Beaters: Civics, Fit, Sunfire.

More fun cars: B5 (2000) S4, Focus SVT, 92 DSM (turbo AWD).

Most likely you will be let down by a 996 in your price range. Not worth all the potential issues, and massive price costs for parts for the lack of performance.

Because of condition or? Any better ideas in that price range?

Not all of us can afford Lotui for our fun fleet. :p

Edited by Trouble Maker

Not a fan of corvettes, but I've wanted a c4 zr1 forever. Maybe one day I will take up smoking and purchase some gold chains.

That used to be the joke we reserved for Porsche owners. I shit you not my father's long time friend and former multiple 911 owner was this guido doctor who always wore his shirt two buttons undone, wore gold chains, had a perma-tan, and a standing table at Rao's. He was an uber douche.

Porsche parts are generally expensive. And its an older car that is a little more high maintenance than say...a honda S2000. Non-turbo early cars don't even make 300hp (296 flywheel hp out of 3.4L) and the later 3.6L NA cars only make 15 hp more. So it isn't "fast" in the modern sense of 300+ 4 door sedans.

The inspections on these cars are crucial to getting a good one. A lot of minor deferred maintenance issues can snowball into a lot of nickel and dime problems. If you work on your own cars it's not the end of the world.

here is a great article on 996 pre-purchase inspections:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_prepurchase/911_prepurchase.htm

This isn't meant as a stand in for a PPI by a shop - just getting you more knowledgeable. It may take you a little while to find one clean and well cared for enough, since the market for these cars seems to be divided into two segments: people who obsessively care for these cars, and a-holes who neglect it for the first 5 years of ownership till they can trade and get a new one.

As a case in point - a friend of mine just bought a 2003 Carrera 4s coupe for $22K with 70K miles. IMS bearing already done, PCA member owned, well maintained. It was the boring color combo of silver on silver but not the end of the world. He found the car on the PelicanParts forum, which I would trust more than CL.

The only way you are going to know if you like it is to test drive one. so go out and look at a couple of cars and see how you like it.

here is one in cincy that is slightly above your price range but the owner has a ton of documentation:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5629254453.html

Not having the IMS bearing done would be a reason to negotiate $2500 off the price for me (low mileage is sometimes a contributor to IMS failure because the car sits around and the oil drains out - people ask more money for low mileage cars but I don't think it is justified if the IMS hasn't been done).

Dailys/Beathers: Civics, Fit, Sunfire.

More fun cars: B5 (2000) S4, Focus SVT, 92 DSM (turbo AWD).

Lotus are cheap.

The base 996 in stock form isn't anything to write home about. Sure you can pick one up for a cheap, but keeping it running will be another story. If something happens to the motor, it will cost nearly as much as the purchase price......

Lotus are cheap.

The base 996 in stock form isn't anything to write home about. Sure you can pick one up for a cheap, but keeping it running will be another story. If something happens to the motor, it will cost nearly as much as the purchase price......

There are very few motors, and shops that rebuild are booked 6 months+ out. A running used motor is generally around $10k give or take a couple, and rebuild will run $15k-$18k. Once the motor goes, a clean roller is worth usually $5kish. That being said, working on them isn't hard, parts are comparable to bmw parts $ and the failures are well known.

Only 300 hp, but the performance is very strong for that power level. Stock for stock a 996 will be .3-.5 behind a 5.0 coyote stang in the 1/4, and about equal at autox on the same tires.

Given those criteria and my own personal taste I'd look at the E46 M3 and 996.

Porsche 996 notes:

Unless you're buying from an enthusiast on Rennlist don't expect to find one that's had the IMS fix performed.

RMS leaks are hit or mis. My old red 996 had no leaks during my ownership other than the coolant expansion tank.

If it were me I'd treat the IMS as a mandatory preventative fix.

Some of the early 99 cars had issues with porous cylinder walls...most of those failures have flushed themselves out by now.

The dash on the 99 cars was a dimpled plastic, not the nicest. If you can find a car that was optioned with full leather interior it's a real win as esp on the 99 it makes all the difference.

M3 notes:

Make sure valve adjustments were done at regular intervals...you can DIY if you buy the right tools.

Expect most of the bushings to be shot esp the rear trailing arm bushings.

Rear subframes are prone to cracking, not easy to check, not hard to fix but lots of labor as it needs to come pretty far apart to do so.

Expect the cooling system to need full overhaul at around the 100k mark.

BMW has really great leather...but it doesn't wear or age well esp in 'vert.

Either car I think would meet you needs and price point.

Most any car I get in this segment/price point, I'm expecting to throw some money at it in the beginning to get to a good point where it's 'just' maintenance after that e.g. IMS on the 996, valve stuff on the high strung BMW I6 or S2k motor. These are 10-15 year old cars after all.

There are very few motors, and shops that rebuild are booked 6 months+ out. A running used motor is generally around $10k give or take a couple, and rebuild will run $15k-$18k. Once the motor goes, a clean roller is worth usually $5kish. That being said, working on them isn't hard, parts are comparable to bmw parts $ and the failures are well known.

Only 300 hp, but the performance is very strong for that power level. Stock for stock a 996 will be .3-.5 behind a 5.0 coyote stang in the 1/4, and about equal at autox on the same tires.

The 996 has an interior that doesn't really age well..... It looked old new... You can get the same performance for much less, and from much more reliable cars...

Motor goes and it's probably not in the OP budget to replace, considering he's strictly looking at vehicles within a certain budget.

The 996 has an interior that doesn't really age well..... It looked old new... You can get the same performance for much less, and from much more reliable cars...

Motor goes and it's probably not in the OP budget to replace, considering he's strictly looking at vehicles within a certain budget.

He has one ;)

He also ran a 13.3@105mph in it. I'd consider that a pretty quick car, considering a C5 corvette would be just barely faster with more hp/tq and similar weight.

The engine is the reason they have poor resale, imo, nothing else. I'd never be able to risk it, not when the c5 is available.

He has one ;)

He also ran a 13.3@105mph in it. I'd consider that a pretty quick car, considering a C5 corvette would be just barely faster with more hp/tq and similar weight.

The engine is the reason they have poor resale, imo, nothing else. I'd never be able to risk it, not when the c5 is available.

My M3 and my 3.4L 996 both ran low 13's (the M3 was actually just a touch quicker in the quarter at 13.1 vs. 13.4).

Those were both coupes so add a little time for the additional weight. These aren't show stopping numbers by today's standard for sure but for what the OP has described will be his use case I'm sure they will be plenty of fun.

The early car headlights. Seriously there is a whole militant group of Porsche purists who bitch about it not being a real Porsche because of "runny egg" headlights or not being a real 911 because "boxster front end". The complaints about the very plain and cheap feeling interior don't help it either. It was the first Porsche made post change in philosophy from the hand built low production era of the aircooled to high end mass production and increased volume and in some ways it is considered a compromise car. Really it is all just Porsche nerds shitting on what is a pretty good car in it's own right but not perceived as good as the 993 or the 997.

Polaris Slingshot.

For the longest time I had a huge love for these types of cars; Ariel Atom, Morgan 3 wheeler. I think everyone loved to hate on the Slingshot.... I think it's a great deal for the segment as well as the feel and performance you get. I'd love to own any one of these cars at some point. For me, a car like that isn't a 2nd car, that's a 3rd or 4th car. Maybe it could be a 2nd car somewhere it doesn't rain or snow and is usually around 70 degrees. For my purposes for this car, especially in Ohio, I want/need something with an enclosed cabin.

A friend of mine has one and I got some seat time in it over the winter.. Needless to say.. I want one.

For the longest time I had a huge love for these types of cars; Ariel Atom, Morgan 3 wheeler. I think everyone loved to hate on the Slingshot.... I think it's a great deal for the segment as well as the feel and performance you get. I'd love to own any one of these cars at some point. For me, a car like that isn't a 2nd car, that's a 3rd or 4th car. Maybe it could be a 2nd car somewhere it doesn't rain or snow and is usually around 70 degrees. For my purposes for this car, especially in Ohio, I want/need something with an enclosed cabin.