WWCR do? Motorcycle trim paint

BBQdDude

2009 Harley fatboy.

I really hate the default colors on the default Harley trim. I have a black bike. The pin stripping and Harley logo are underneath a layer of clear coast from the factory by default.

In the logo and the pin stripping is a line of teal color (among other colors).

OK, now the question.

I ran into a hand pin stripping at a dyno meet on the south end this last weekend. He states he can hand paint that one color in the stripe and logo. He said no clear will be applied over it.

He showed me example (photos) of his work and they do look good.

My concern is he is painting over the clear coat and then not re shooting clear on top of his work.

Will this hold up to the weather? Does this scenario have any gotcha's that I have not thought about?

typically the paint used is called "one shot" http://www.1shot.com/One-Shot/index.aspx . It's been applied over clear since before there were cars (pinstriping is one of the few original "carrage" building art forms still left in modern society).

How it will hold it depends entirely on how you care for it. It is sitting on top of clear so it is susceptible to scratches and anything that rubs against it. If you compound the bike it comes right off, same if you rub it with lacquer thinner. otherwise you can get years and even decades out of it if you care for it properly. and by care for it properly you keep it clean, waxed (once it has had time to harden) and don't rub on it too much.

The nice part about being on top of the clear, if you have a scratch it can be easily touched up provided the guy didn't use a custom color.