June 29 & 30th - Mid-Ohio

SchmuckGirl

Where are the pics?!

Schmuck deserves the right to be mad at me forever, I made a not so good pass for Novice late in the day. The instructor had me make the pass on other people earlier coming out of the carousel but lets just say I did'nt get a good enough run against his liter across the start finish. :-/

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get the SD card back from the Gf for some of mine and others. Other then that the Videos I am having to work on and edit down.

The GoPro did a pretty good job from the tank suction cup mount. The Jhook on the windscreen got kinda choppy from bouncing in the wind and vibration. Didn't get to try the tail mount though.

Thanks! When you changed your front...or when someone helped you...did you need an impact wrench? I was looking at mine tonight. I know I need to buy a socket...I don't have the size. I'm hoping I can just muscle it off.

As for the carousel, the was the toughest turn for me my first day. I kept trying to stay close to the inside the entire time...wasn't working. Instructor showed me the way. On the keyhole...you can get away with that for the most part.

99% of people that struggle with Mid-O do the carousel and keyhole wrong. They swing out too wide and kill their drive and corner speed. Get with me at some point and I can show you the line that works best and you'll get 2 seconds a lap faster easily just doing that...

Just a note on gearing, folks... Race gearing is at a ratio of about 16/44. That's for carrying the mail around that place... Pretty much a good gearing for about everything including 1000s... However, understand something. It isn't a bash on anyone as we all start somewhere, but realize that your corner speed, RPMs, etc come into play. If you are trying to compensate for lack of corner speed, you are going to gear yourself way off base. You need to gain more corner speed before you change gearing.

For example, you can do 3rd gear through one for sure. Some guys will do 3rd if they are geared more in that 16/44 or 16/43 range. However, if your corner speed is lower, that ratio will hurt you in 3rd gear. You will be forced to run 2nd because the drive will be slower.

See what I am saying? My suggestion is to do a ratio of about 2.8125 or 2.875. You take the rear and divide by the front. Typically, all the faster riders are like I said, a 16/43 or 16/44. For slower riders, a 16/46 is a great place to start. Get yourself to the point where you use that up in key spots and then drop the rear.

You should be 2nd from the back straight to under the bridge where you grab a gear up into 3rd as you go up the hill. Down shift into 2nd before you crest 10 into Thunder Valley, up shift to 3rd and 4th through Thunder and down shift either 1 gear (3rd) before 13 (left hander out of Thunder) and another between 13 and the carousel into 2nd OR grab two into 2nd before 13 and carry 2nd into the carousel. Grab an upshift between the carousel and the left hander onto the front straight. Carry the speed up into 4th just past the start/finish and down shift into 3rd. Carry 3rd to turn 2, roll off the throttle and carry 3rd to the entrance of the top of the keyhole and down shift quickly (2nd) before you turn in right at the top. Carry 2nd out of the keyhole and drive hard onto the back straight. You should be just shifting into 6th at the apex of the kink and carry that until you do it all over for another lap....

If you are carrying 3rd on the front straight, that's fine. My 1000 is geared to allow for that. I don't like running 2nd out of 1 because it wheelies and spins too much. 3rd allows for a better drive for me...

But try a ratio as I suggested... It will make your life easier. For you 600 riders, you need (especially R6 owners) to be dancing in the red on your bikes for the best pull out of the turns. You have to learn to run high RPMs to get the most out of them...

For you 600 riders, you need (especially R6 owners) to be dancing in the red on your bikes for the best pull out of the turns. You have to learn to run high RPMs to get the most out of them...

:( i want a 1000 :( ha im sure when i finally make it to the track the 600 will be enough to handle for a few times anyway....

If you are carrying 3rd on the front straight, that's fine. My 1000 is geared to allow for that. I don't like running 2nd out of 1 because it wheelies and spins too much. 3rd allows for a better drive for me...

I would come out of the carousel and turn into the last left hander almost right on the limiter, I would have to shift still leaned over and that little hill made the bike wheelie which was scary at first but I got used to it. Once i get more comfortable in the corners i will probably be able to carry more speed allowing me to be up that next gear and not have to worry.

I def. saw that wheelie happen too Schmuck, just a little power style tho. So who's ready to get back out there? I should be in about a week lol, just waiting for Jardine to call me back to order the new side, and my other parts to be here.

i ride a litre bike and recently went to 15 43 from 17 43 ,which is stock. i did this because it was cheap and easy. i am still getting used to this but the first time at a track since doing this ,at mid ohio, i found if worked o.k. for me. when i get a 'good' drive out of the keyhole and hit my shifts correctly i am hitting the rev limiter at my breaking point. obviously if i get faster this will change but for now its good. i agree with lizard on all the above. the only thing i do differently , because im a chicken LOL, is i dont shift to 4th exiting thunder valley . i use 3rd as engine breaking and it saves me a downshift . im sure if i get better there this may also change. ive never done mid ohio on a supersport so i have no opinion for the 600 guys. p.s. ill be at the twillight event on the 4th for anyone who is going and interested in networking like myself.

Seemed to be aprilias getting in my way last time, this time it was me getting in the way!

Dude, there is no way you should be down shifting for Turn 1. Just roll off a bit then tip it in. Thats a 100+mph turn easy.

glad everyone had fun. My buddy is the one who crashed at the carosel. He had a black r1. I have -1 +2 for my gearing. It worked out great for me. I was going throught turn 1 on 3rd 2nd for the rest. I get a lot of speed out of the key hole. 50% throttle at the apex of key hole. As soon as I'm out going into 3rd. That's the only way I could get a jump on the 1000 guys. Then down the middle they would leave me but not by much. Lol.

I need to get the SD card back from the Gf for some of mine and others. Other then that the Videos I am having to work on and edit down.

The GoPro did a pretty good job from the tank suction cup mount. The Jhook on the windscreen got kinda choppy from bouncing in the wind and vibration. Didn't get to try the tail mount though.

Hey buddy this is Randy with the white cbr. Did u get anything for me and my buddy on the camera? Can't wait to see it. Lol.

Cool, so the suction cup will hold. I have one and didn't want to try it, throught it would let loose.

I tried it a few days before also. I mounted it to the front of my tank facing through the windscreen. The mount bounce a LOT with just that. So I ended up taking 2 zip ties and pulled it down firm on the brackets onto the HESD/Stabilizer so that it wouldn't move at all. With it just alone...the image will be bad from vibration and bounce...but tied down its great. I will get the videos edited a bit when I have time and toss them up so you all can get a better idea of what it looks like.

Minus my horrid riding =p