College Football 2016/17

Lauren

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indiana is a much better team than their "sex appeal" would indicate. The B1G is absolutely stacked this year. Even the SEC-homer analysts are saying it. If OSU and Michigan go into The Game #1 and #2, we might see two B1G teams in the playoff.

Indiana is a much better team than their "sex appeal" would indicate. The B1G is absolutely stacked this year. Even the SEC-homer analysts are saying it. If OSU and Michigan go into The Game #1 and #2, we might see two B1G teams in the playoff.

I still think a lot would have to happen (chaos) for 2 B1G teams to get in. If there was any year it would happen, it would be this year though. The Big 12 is essentially out of it already along with Houston and Notre Dame who are the two wild card teams that had a shot from a non P5. Washington from the Pac looks like they won't be beat out west but they are a team that could slip up really at any point or lose their CG because it's Washington. That leaves the B1G Winner (OSU/Michigan), SEC Winner (Bama), ACC Winner (Clemson) and room for one more which would likely be Louisville or Michigan/Ohio State.

Are we really making a case for an Indiana team that lost to Wake Forest and there only key victory is against dumpster fire Michigan St? Their other three wins are garbage teams.

Wisconsin is another over rated team. They beat sparty , no surprise really, and they beat an LSU team that's so bad they fired their coach 4 games into the season. Their other three teams are FCS or Mac schools. Is that really any surprise.

Nebraska is another highly over rated team. Their only win is against Oregon and we all know how terrible they are.

Michigan and Ohio St are dominating. Wisconsin had a victory over Michigan St and we all went nuts until we look at how terrible Michigan ST is. They have 5 victories over FCS or group 5 school a terrible PAC 12 team and bottom of the B1G.

B1G hasn't faired well against P5 schools and a couple of MaC teams have beat up B1G schools and an FCS school beat up Iowa.

Maybe after week three when Ohio St beat Oklohoma ( the only true solid victory for the B1G) and sparty beat Norte dame was there any talk about how good the B1G is. But ND is garbage.

I think you have to have some rose colored glass to continue to say the B1G is the best conference.

Play off teams I think it's Washington , Bama, Clemson and winner of Michigan/Ohio St. I highly doubt two teams from one conference get in. This is assuming all four teams win their division and championship game.

I don't think any conference is truly dominating another this year. Every conference has one or two really good teams and then everybody else. It will be a fun bowl season though to see which conference fairs the best as a whole.

The only game I would care about would be Ohio St/Alabama. All the other games I do not care enough to think about matching them up. I would still watch all of them however.

As far as play off alignment I think it should go

Alabama

Ohio st

Clemson

Washington.

Bama/Washington and Ohio st/Clemson

This would set up either a round two of sugar bowl( which should have been national championships game) or a Clemson Bama rematch. A semi of Ohio st and Bama would be terrible for ratings

Tennessee loses and doesn't move a spot in the AP Poll LOLOLOL

1 ALABAMA 6-0 1,520 56 1

2 OHIO STATE 5-0 1,444 2 2

3 CLEMSON 6-0 1,406 2 3

4 MICHIGAN 6-0 1,339 1 4

5 WASHINGTON 6-0 1,286 – 5

6 TEXAS A&M 6-0 1,202 – 8

7 LOUISVILLE 4-1 1,193 – 7

8 WISCONSIN 4-1 1,020 – 11

9 TENNESSEE 5-1 962 – 9

10 NEBRASKA 5-0 958 – 12

Coaches Poll is a little more reasonable

1 ALABAMA 6-0 1570 58 1 –

2 OHIO STATE 5-0 1504 4 2 –

3 CLEMSON 6-0 1455 1 3 –

4 MICHIGAN 6-0 1370 – 4 –

5 WASHINGTON 6-0 1329 – 6 +1

6 TEXAS A&M 6-0 1256 – 7 +1

7 LOUISVILLE 4-1 1201 – 8 +1

8 BAYLOR 5-0 1061 – 11 +3

9 NEBRASKA 5-0 1052 – 12 +3

10 WISCONSIN 4-1 995 – 13 +3

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

In OSU/non OSU news, former recruit Sam Bruce who ended up at Miami has been thrown off the team for multiple violations. His recruitment was very strange as many felt he was a lock and a take no matter what. Then out of nowhere OSU kind of stopped recruiting him and he chose Miami over us. Looks like the staff had a pretty good idea on his character and ultimately decided against pursuing him.

You shouldn't throw shade at the B10 when the SEC has looked more than suspect. Lets talk about over rated, Arkansas, Tennessee and Ole Miss all come to mind when mentioning that term. Not to mention the likes of LSU and Georgia.

I'm lot saying the SEC is any better. In fact I said each co credence has their o e or two power houses and then everybody else. Just because I'm saying B1G isn't all that doesn't mean I'm saying is better.

Tennessee loses and doesn't move a spot in the AP Poll LOLOLOL

1 ALABAMA 6-0 1,520 56 1

2 OHIO STATE 5-0 1,444 2 2

3 CLEMSON 6-0 1,406 2 3

4 MICHIGAN 6-0 1,339 1 4

5 WASHINGTON 6-0 1,286 – 5

6 TEXAS A&M 6-0 1,202 – 8

7 LOUISVILLE 4-1 1,193 – 7

8 WISCONSIN 4-1 1,020 – 11

9 TENNESSEE 5-1 962 – 9

10 NEBRASKA 5-0 958 – 12

Coaches Poll is a little more reasonable

1 ALABAMA 6-0 1570 58 1 –

2 OHIO STATE 5-0 1504 4 2 –

3 CLEMSON 6-0 1455 1 3 –

4 MICHIGAN 6-0 1370 – 4 –

5 WASHINGTON 6-0 1329 – 6 +1

6 TEXAS A&M 6-0 1256 – 7 +1

7 LOUISVILLE 4-1 1201 – 8 +1

8 BAYLOR 5-0 1061 – 11 +3

9 NEBRASKA 5-0 1052 – 12 +3

10 WISCONSIN 4-1 995 – 13 +3

Tennessee lost to a top 10 team. They have a couple good wins under their belt. Same reason Wisconsin is hanging around the top ten with only a loss to Michigan and Louisville is hanging around with only a loss to Clemson.

Let's play the hypothetical game. So who gets in with this scenario

Alabama - Loses @Tennessee but wins SEC CG against Tennessee (12-1)

Ohio State - Loses to Wisconsin but wins B1G CG against Wisconsin (12-1)

Clemson - Wins out and wins ACC CG against Miami (13-0)

Michigan - Only loss is to OSU in Columbus by a FG (11-1)

Washington - Wins out in regular season but loses by 10 in PAC CG to Utah (12-1)

Louisville - Wins out (11-1)

TAMU - Only loss is @Alabama by 7 (11-1)

Who would your 4 be and why?

Alabama, Ohio State, Louisville and Clemson.

Alabama and Ohio State avenged their loss, Louisville lost to a good Clemson team and it was early in the season, and Clemson for obvious undefeated reasons.

Michigan and TAMU did not play their conference championship game (and as such never got to avenge their loss) and Washington loses to an inferior Utah.

Let's play the hypothetical game. So who gets in with this scenario

Alabama - Loses @Tennessee but wins SEC CG against Tennessee (12-1)

Ohio State - Loses to Wisconsin but wins B1G CG against Wisconsin (12-1)

Clemson - Wins out and wins ACC CG against Miami (13-0)

Michigan - Only loss is to OSU in Columbus by a FG (11-1)

Washington - Wins out in regular season but loses by 10 in PAC CG to Utah (12-1)

Louisville - Wins out (11-1)

TAMU - Only loss is @Alabama by 7 (11-1)

Who would your 4 be and why?

Great question.

The committee has openly advised that they weigh "championships won" heavily in determining who gets into the playoff.* Therefore, Alabama and Ohio State would be valued higher by virtue of winning their conference relative to TAMU and Michigan. Similarly, Washington would be devalued by virtue of failing to win the PAC. Also, we all know that recent losses hurt far more than more distant losses, so that will serve to also work against Michigan (who would have just lost) and Washington (who would have just lost).

Clemson would be a lock by virtue of being undefeated and a champion of the ACC. They are in as the number one seed:

1. Clemson

Next in would be Ohio State and Alabama. Again, they are champions, and the rest of the folks are not. Therefore, they will get the nod.

1. Clemson

2. Alabama

3. Ohio State

That leaves one spot open for the "wild card." I think it would come down between Utah and Louisville. The committee would be right or wrong either choice, depending on how you looked at it. Louisville would have a good resume, they only lost once to the #1 team in the nation at Clemson's place, and it was a hard-fought game that Louisville could have easily won. Utah also lost on the road, but their loss was to Cal - clearly it won't be viewed as much as a forgiving loss. Thus, by this criteria, advantage Louisville. However, Utah will be a conference champion, having won the PAC, whereas Louisville will not. Thus, justifiably, the committee could select Utah over Louisville and point to the conference championship criteria, and Louisville couldn't whine too much. I suppose a lot will depend on "eye test" stuff that we'd see play out through the year, and if one was clearly playing better than the other, then that could factor in substantially.

However, to answer your question, I'd think Louisville will get the nod. They likely will have a Heisman candidate - if not the outright winner - on the team, whereas Utah will continue playing in the relative obscurity of the Mountain and Pacific time zones. Utah is a boring brand, whereas Louisville has that "new kid crashing the party" momentum going for them. For those reasons, I go with Louisville as the fourth man in:

1. Clemson

2. Alabama

3. Ohio State

4. Louisville

Now that I just typed that, it doesn't seem like a ratings bonanza. Like jive (Lauren, where's that name change at, bro?) said, people would likely rather see Bama and Ohio State in the finals, and I doubt a lot of people would be really jacked over a redo semi final of Clemson and Louisville. Of course, last minute changes in seeding would go a long way to solving the ratings problem - like, I dunno, maybe Clemson looking "not all that great" and Bama "looking fantastic!" in their final games, justifying a switch at the top and Bama getting the #1 seed and Clemson falling to the #2 seed. I hope all of you can read the cynicism that I tried to incorporate there.

*On the topic of "championships won" - I haven't looked closely at the criteria, so I don't know what the operational criteria of that is. However, I thought - again with a healthy dose of cynicism - does championships won mean championships this season or any season? LOL, think about it it - the committee might have found a way of saying they can give bonus points to blue bloods and teams that have had recent success. I mean, face it, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, and Notre Dame have a lot of "championships won."

For the record I have pm'd several mods and admin requesting a name change.

With that said I think Utah takes the 4 seed being that they are the PAC 12 champs and would have just beaten the red hot Washington team that curb stomped the best PAC 12 teams throughout the season.

There's a whole lot of what if's still on the table. Remember, Louisville still has to play Houston. Teams like Bama and OSU are just now getting ready for the meat of their schedule.

This weeks picks

#1 Alabama vs #9 Tennessee (Just to be a troll to Jive haha. I really think Bama wins by a lot in this one)

#2 Ohio State vs #8 Wisconsin (I have a feeling this is going to be a lot closer than anyone really wants it to be)

#12 Ole Miss vs #22 Arkansas

Upset Special: Texas Tech over #20 West Virginia

Some what ifs:

Louisville loses to Houston

Ohio State loses to Wisconsin, Beats Michigan, Wins B10

Michigan loses to OSU in a tight ball game

Clemson loses to FSU

Bama loses to Tennessee but beats them in the CCG

I think Baylor is the dark horse honestly, right now they are 5-0 with their hardest game being against Oklahoma yet.

1. Clemson

2. Alabama

3. Ohio State

4. Louisville

Now that I just typed that, it doesn't seem like a ratings bonanza. Like jive (Lauren, where's that name change at, bro?) said, people would likely rather see Bama and Ohio State in the finals, and I doubt a lot of people would be really jacked over a redo semi final of Clemson and Louisville. Of course, last minute changes in seeding would go a long way to solving the ratings problem - like, I dunno, maybe Clemson looking "not all that great" and Bama "looking fantastic!" in their final games, justifying a switch at the top and Bama getting the #1 seed and Clemson falling to the #2 seed. I hope all of you can read the cynicism that I tried to incorporate there.

I do not understand why they do this. Can someone explain to me why #1 plays #4 in the playoffs? Seems to me the #1 team should go against the "ideally" stronger #3 team in the playoff and the #2 team should play the #4 team.

I do not understand why they do this. Can someone explain to me why #1 plays #4 in the playoffs? Seems to me the #1 team should go against the "ideally" stronger #3 team in the playoff and the #2 team should play the #4 team.

Because that's just how playoff seedings work at all levels, hell even my 6 year old sons football league operates like that. They finished as the 3 seed and will face the 6 seed in first round of playoffs this weekend.

It's basic bracketing. Its so the #1 vs #2 are set to play

It's basic bracketing. Its so the #1 vs #2 are set to play

1 and 2 would still play if it was 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4 and 1 and 2 both won. I can see it as less of an issue in large brackets, but a 4 team "playoff" this seems like a way to find the best team to me. The difference between the 1 and 4 teams at the end of the season is usually pretty large. Seems like the games would be closer and better to watch, but o well. Go Bucks!

1 and 2 would still play if it was 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4 and 1 and 2 both won. I can see it as less of an issue in large brackets, but a 4 team "playoff" this seems like a way to find the best team to me. The difference between the 1 and 4 teams at the end of the season is usually pretty large. Seems like the games would be closer and better to watch, but o well. Go Bucks!

That's why Ohio State beat Alabama as the #4 seed?

That's why Ohio State beat Alabama as the #4 seed?

And actually why everyone thought that game should have been the championship. In my scenario, that's likely how it would have played out. Bama vs Fl state and Oregan vs OSU in the bowl games. In my eyes, in doing this you make #4 prove they deserve to play #1, by beating #2 first.