What to build? 2017 Racecar?

99StockGT

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have 0 desire to throw an LS in something like that especially after a 7k+ purchase price

I know that you're looking to build something and obviously you like doing that, but you're going to want to assess what you really want to get from going to the race track.

Do you want the fun of building a car and just seeing if/how it works on track?

Or are you interested in learning to drive better and get some regular track time for fun?

If the first, then build whatever floats your boat, keep it safe, and you can dip your toe into going to the track. Chances are you'll lose good money if/when you go to sell it, but you'll have a cool project.

If the second, then buy the FC, drive the shit out of it, and enjoy.

I get the whole save money piece, but if its put together well then why bother with the beat Matt down on price. Oddly enough, I would rather pay more for one to pay attention to detail and allow them to not have a loss than trying to get a deal. Finding cars that are not hacked to death with Fast and Furious Chinese parts are getting harder to come buy.

Part of this is yes the build up process, it's something we can document and share with our customers/potential customers as well as take racing. Part of why we are also building a Subaru track car is to not only show "hey we work on your stuff" but also "hey we race this stuff too". Makes people more confident in a shop I would think?

As for the FD. It's a good ride I'm sure and a great way for someone to just plunk down cash up front and take it racing the next day. Anything we take racing or even just buy for a shop car is typically torn down checked for faults and put back together, just the way we do things.

One of the reason when we buy Subaru we tend to buy them blown up, we are going to tear it all apart anyways might as well get it cheap and do it right. No matter how much you trust the person selling you the car, or know its history, you never know how close to death it is. We've experienced this more than a few times in the past.

I'm likely way off base here, but screw it I'll bring it up anyhow. You want different, you want something to show the customers. Something you can build yourself. Maybe even open up some new opportunities for the shop. You guys obviously like the subaru platform. Why not a Factory 5 818? I know the budget is considerably larger. But in minimalist race trim might not be as bad. Some of the things you would need to buy, you will already be buying anyhow to convert a street car to a race car.

You actually aren't nearly as far off as you may think Rick, it's been a conversation we've had a couple of times. Unfortunately this year has been extremely busy and not allowed nearly as much track time as we had expected so with 2017 we are going to have slightly more modest goals. If we get some good road racing / AutoXing in with this coming season an 818 would be an excellent idea for 2018.

Would rather have a $5,000-$7,000 racecar sitting here not being used than a $25,000 racecar not being used.

Lotus 7 with motorcycle driveline.

This made me think of a locost 7. A kit car based on the lotus 7 but with rotary power.

What I meant.

I was roughly $1,500 away from this guys asking price. He wouldn't budge at the time. I believe someone in Ohio ended up with it.

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?8937-FS-Street-legal-R1-powered-Locost

Obviously too pricey for the OP, but this is like my realistic dream toy

http://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-classifieds/1843089-co-2013-ls6-brunton-stalker-lotus-kit-car.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-classifieds/1843089-co-2013-ls6-brunton-stalker-lotus-kit-car.html

Saw a LS7 powered one at my last track day. Was incredible. Penske shocks, APR aero. Looked like a ton of fun. They can be had with V6s as a cheaper option though.

Here's a picture of it following me. I can't get the picture to embed or download unfortunately so heres a link. http://www.dropbox.com/sh/jc6cg62vmx9m6ml/AAAgJXerDbmAnQiy8vArvGJza/HPDE%202/%23313%20Miata?dl=0#f:IMG_3294.jpg

350Z is definitely an attractive option, and with being one of the sponsor shops for the Ohio G/Z/GT-R Club it becomes even more so. Currently we are working on a 350Z + turbos for a customer, once that thing is done and we see where she performs we'll see. Not an inexpensive platform to get into but pretty enjoyable even in stockish trim.

For those who has done road racing at places such as Mid Ohio and Gingerman how much of an issue is heat soak on the turbo cars? That question is something we are kicking around, do we go high compression NA or go the turbo route. I noticed with the TT Stealth that within two laps I was considerably down on power given my intercoolers were massively heat soaked.

Saw a LS7 powered one at my last track day. Was incredible. Penske shocks, APR aero. Looked like a ton of fun. They can be had with V6s as a cheaper option though.

Here's a picture of it following me. I can't get the picture to embed or download unfortunately so heres a link. http://www.dropbox.com/sh/jc6cg62vmx9m6ml/AAAgJXerDbmAnQiy8vArvGJza/HPDE%202/%23313%20Miata?dl=0#f:IMG_3294.jpg

Man, that would be so much fun. It's like the perfect road race machine. 500+hp in a 1500lb car with good suspension and a low gear ratio :masturboy:

For those who has done road racing at places such as Mid Ohio and Gingerman how much of an issue is heat soak on the turbo cars? That question is something we are kicking around, do we go high compression NA or go the turbo route. I noticed with the TT Stealth that within two laps I was considerably down on power given my intercoolers were massively heat soaked.

If you're building the car you can use that as an opportunity to over-engineer the systems capacities to stand up to what a turbo car needs for a 20-30 min track session and stay healthy and alive. Seems like a great sales opportunity backed up by R&D at the track.

What about a 944? I don't think you can swing a 951 (944 turbo) unless its salvage title or beat but you should be able to get a solid 944 that is a very neutral driving car that I wouldn't think is as common as a miata??

Andy?

Are the boxster's down to 5k? that may be a good option as well..

I do think Tinman's car is the best bet tho if you actually want to learn to be a road racer..

That thing would be a riot!

Here's a rotary for sale.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18460&sid=d8f6b3887cec8f766f3af9c46a38caf9

The ONLY turbo car I've seen handle track work very well are water cooled 911 Turbos. Evo, STI, 944 Turbo, anything aftermarket turbo, and sure as shit my FD all have a noticeably harder time at the track maintaining coolant and intake temps. I've been tracking a turbo rotary for 7+ years so it can be done, but it's always more work to keep it running appropriately. (big radiator, intercooler, oil coolers, ducting, water injection)

If you're looking for a challenge and way to show your engineering prowess, then go turbo. To really prove it works though you'll need to do more track time than you're talking about.

The ONLY turbo car I've seen handle track work very well are water cooled 911 Turbos. Evo, STI, 944 Turbo, anything aftermarket turbo, and sure as shit my FD all have a noticeably harder time at the track maintaining coolant and intake temps. I've been tracking a turbo rotary for 7+ years so it can be done, but it's always more work to keep it running appropriately. (big radiator, intercooler, oil coolers, ducting, water injection)

If you're looking for a challenge and way to show your engineering prowess, then go turbo. To really prove it works though you'll need to do more track time than you're talking about.

Running on the road or even AutoX most cars have enough to keep reasonably cool but when you open it up to road course it becomes a whole different ballgame. The Forester we are building will be perfectly capable of handling street blasts and AutoX duty however even with with the large intercooler, oil cooler, and upgraded radiator I'm more than a little bit worried about whether it can handle 20-30 minutes of solid flogging.

With the QR25DE going out in the Sentra SE-R it gives us an opportunity to go any direction we want with it. There are a few successfully tracked examples out there both in the high compression NA configuration and a turbo configuration if they are properly built for it. However, I've NEVER tracked a FWD "Racecar" before so there's that as well..

And I'll have you all know, made it to 3 "on track" events in 2016 so THERE! :fuckyeah:

Plan is racing nearly every weekend in 2017, of course the best laid plans and all that..