New daily ideas

Geeesammy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2013/2014 Cadillac ATS. 2.0L turbo, AWD, can get one with 50k+ miles for 15-18k.

As luxurious as they come and good power at 260hp. Ricart has 4 on the lot. Drove one Monday and loved it but they weren't giving me enough for my 2015 Ecoboost Fusion.

If the back seat existed I would love to. Those cars are phenomenal

Mk5 GTI's I feel like most will have highish miles and have been well worn, Mk6 all seem to be low mileage examples out of my budget.

I know you can find anything, just kind of using a blanket statement. GTI is a little too much for me, then I'll get tempted to do all kinds of shit to it

You could always look at an Audi A3. Slightly bigger but still the GTI platform. Available in all the same drivetrain options as the GTI/MK5 R32 (the 3.2 dsg a3 is basically a 4 door Mk5 R32). Unlike the GTI, most were bought by young upwardly mobile couples and aren't ragged out like a GTI would.

In my experience the Audi is often cheaper used than a comparable GTI. We bought the wife's 2006 in 2011 with 30K miles for just under $14K out the door. I managed to find a cloth interior car (never again, audi cloth is not scotchguarded - it stains if you look at it funny), and my brother, who had an 06 GTI, used to joke that it was a poor mans GTI since it didn't have the fancy headlights or the plaid seats that his package 0 car had. His car also cost more.

We had all the MK5 problems on ours except the coil packs, and to be honest it wasn't much: stuck thermostat, radiator weep, steering rack, diverter valve. The hard part was working on the car since the engine is in there so tight, the bumper/under shielding needs to come off for almost everything.

here is a nicely optioned stick one:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5783788044.html

and a low mileage one close to your price range (but not local):

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/673772496/overview/

the CC was on my radar for a while. I have two friends that own them. What they tell me is that if you want to mod one get a dsg, the manual trans cars are too heavy for the trans to live behind a 2.0T above 300hp. Also the manual cars are FWD only and it's a large heavy car so it pushes and plows in hard cornering. Be careful at looking at auto ones, some are conventional slushboxes and some are dsg. DSG isn't bad, but the slushbox is garbage. If it were me I would buy a manual one. Otherwise it's a neat car and the interior is fantastic but if you have to have a german sedan, you can get an e90 3 series for the same money.

Three of my cuzins all have a newer red G37 and they are great cars. Super nice ride quality and the power is there when you want it. The sound system is good and they are really affordable also. With stock wheels and a drop we were breaking necks everytime we pulled up somewhere.

speaking of unicorns by the way....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/680023607/overview/

seriously though, have you thought about a subaru legacy GT? It's like a wrx but for adults.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/665767886/overview/

You could always look at an Audi A3. Slightly bigger but still the GTI platform. Available in all the same drivetrain options as the GTI/MK5 R32 (the 3.2 dsg a3 is basically a 4 door Mk5 R32). Unlike the GTI, most were bought by young upwardly mobile couples and aren't ragged out like a GTI would.

If by bigger you mean longer, sure. They have less headroom, and are 3 inch longer, all in the rear cargo floor.

Eh, buyer difference might have been present years ago, at 10 years old, they're all on their 2-10th buyers.

the CC was on my radar for a while. I have two friends that own them. What they tell me is that if you want to mod one get a dsg, the manual trans cars are too heavy for the trans to live behind a 2.0T above 300hp. Also the manual cars are FWD only and it's a large heavy car so it pushes and plows in hard cornering. Be careful at looking at auto ones, some are conventional slushboxes and some are dsg. DSG isn't bad, but the slushbox is garbage. If it were me I would buy a manual one. Otherwise it's a neat car and the interior is fantastic but if you have to have a german sedan, you can get an e90 3 series for the same money.

Your friends are wrong, transmissions are stout, same as in all 2.0T engine cars. The clutches are weak in all of the TSI (08.5-14) cars, so a clutch replacement is needed for anything over stock power.

The CC is about 100lbs heavier than a loaded GTI or A3. It is not a heavy car. All of the VWs with 60% + front weight understeer.

All 2.0Ts are DSG when auto, so nothing to be "careful" about. The 3.6 cars are all tq converted, and are AWD.

If by bigger you mean longer, sure. They have less headroom, and are 3 inch longer, all in the rear cargo floor.
Yes, longer. Headroom is not an issue in either car - I'm 6'5" and I fit just fine. Could even put a helmet on without touching. The A3 looks cooler with a lower roofline.

Eh, buyer difference might have been present years ago, at 10 years old, they're all on their 2-10th buyers.

Agree on the 2006 cars, but you could get a manual wagon up to 2013. I still see a premium on 2009+ GTIs vs A3s (depending on powertrain and options).

Your friends are wrong, transmissions are stout, same as in all 2.0T engine cars. The clutches are weak in all of the TSI (08.5-14) cars, so a clutch replacement is needed for anything over stock power.

probably.

The CC is about 100lbs heavier than a loaded GTI or A3. It is not a heavy car. All of the VWs with 60% + front weight understeer.

Feels heavier than 100 lbs. Maybe it's the 106.7in wheelbase vs the 101.5in of the A3. Also the weight bias in the wagon is different. I can get the wife's A3 to swing the tail if I pitch it hard enough, something I can't get a CC to do.

All 2.0Ts are DSG when auto, so nothing to be "careful" about. The 3.6 cars are all tq converted, and are AWD.

I thought 2008 to mid 2009 were tiptronic (torque converter auto).

I currently have a 2013 Accord Sport thats 4 cly and 6mt. It's definitely not fast but it moves out well and I get 36 mpg at 70 on the highway. Since I get paid for driving its paying for itself every month. Great cars and in your budget.

Probably the best part of that is it has a nice sized tank too. Googles says 17.2 gallons, so you could get over 600 miles out of a tank.

I went from work to home to south of Nashville on one tank and back including a stop in Ostrander before home on the second tank in a FWD TLX (9AT V6). Pretty awesome no not have to stop for fuel.

I've average 35mpg in the Fit I have over this first 19 months and 27kmi. But the tank is tiny, I only get about 300 miles out of it if I'm reasonable about when I fill up. :fa:

We've got a new 4 door Accord EXL V6 (6AT) right now too. The biggest surprise for me about this car is how nice and quite it rides, especially at highway speeds. Though I'm sure the NV packages aren't the same across the lineup.

Accord combined MPG, the coupe V6 6MT must have some short gearing.

----------Sedan---Coupe

6MT I4-----26------26

CVT I4---29-30-----29

6AT V6-----25------24

6MT V6-------------21

Probably the best part of that is it has a nice sized tank too. Googles says 17.2 gallons, so you could get over 600 miles out of a tank.

I went from work to home to south of Nashville on one tank and back including a stop in Ostrander before home on the second tank in a FWD TLX (9AT V6). Pretty awesome no not have to stop for fuel.

I've average 35mpg in the Fit I have over this first 19 months and 27kmi. But the tank is tiny, I only get about 300 miles out of it if I'm reasonable about when I fill up. :fa:

We've got a new 4 door Accord EXL V6 (6AT) right now too. The biggest surprise for me about this car is how nice and quite it rides, especially at highway speeds. Though I'm sure the NV packages aren't the same across the lineup.

----------Sedan---Coupe

6MT I4-----26------26

CVT I4---29-30-----29

6AT V6-----25------24

6MT V6-------------21

Mercedes E320 CDI, 750-800 ish miles per tank.

Reliable turbo diesel motor, comfy vehicle, and cheap.

Trucks are pretty sweet. Been DDing mine since I got it. Sit higher than traffic. Drive on shoulders and over curbs when there is traffic. Haul fat bitches on the daily. Pull my house around whenever I need new scenery. Buy a truck.

speaking of unicorns by the way....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/680023607/overview/

seriously though, have you thought about a subaru legacy GT? It's like a wrx but for adults.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/665767886/overview/

I havent, every other Subaru at work seems to have Head Gasket issues so ive always been scared away. I may look into them as I was set on a passat sportwagen but lack of manuals made me sad.

Sonata or Optima 2.0T

Sludge beasts and eat turbos. Nope nope nope

Nice cars other than that

I currently have a 2013 Accord Sport thats 4 cly and 6mt. It's definitely not fast but it moves out well and I get 36 mpg at 70 on the highway. Since I get paid for driving its paying for itself every month. Great cars and in your budget.

----------Sedan---Coupe

6MT I4-----26------26

CVT I4---29-30-----29

6AT V6-----25------24

6MT V6-------------21

TLX is out of my budget Id think.

I like fits, just too small for me.

Yes, longer. Headroom is not an issue in either car - I'm 6'5" and I fit just fine. Could even put a helmet on without touching. The A3 looks cooler with a lower roofline.

Agree on the 2006 cars, but you could get a manual wagon up to 2013. I still see a premium on 2009+ GTIs vs A3s (depending on powertrain and options).

probably.

Feels heavier than 100 lbs. Maybe it's the 106.7in wheelbase vs the 101.5in of the A3. Also the weight bias in the wagon is different. I can get the wife's A3 to swing the tail if I pitch it hard enough, something I can't get a CC to do.

I thought 2008 to mid 2009 were tiptronic (torque converter auto).

A3 interior is inferior to the GTI in both design and materials imo. It's also smaller, due to door panel design, and dash, and the aforementioned headroom. I crossed them off the list, and I'm 6'6". Also the A3 is decontented for the badge, non standard options that a base GTI has. Dumb.

Only decent A3, IMO, is the 2.0T DSG AWD cars from 09+, and they're dumb because auto.

Of course a sedan won't be set up the same way as a GTI/A3, but the reality is they can be made to handle very well, with the same basic mods required to make the GTI/A3 not suck as much.

The only trait that is redeeming about these cars is the lift off oversteer. I know if you Jeremy Clarkson one, you can get the ass out, but come on...nobody is doing that.

Also the 09-11 VAG cars have non defeatable ESP :dumb: