College Football Thread 2016/2017 v2.0

Zx2guy19

Any of you going to the game tomorrow in Indy? we bought tickets 2 months ago for $130 and planned the whole trip out, then of course OSU lost and now PSU is going instead, and tickets are selling in our section for $25. so we said fucket and are still going to the game and just crashing in a shitty hotel after.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that the playoff talk tends to boil down to 2 schools of thought:

1. Best teams

2. Most deserving

The playoff committee has said it is about putting the 4 best teams in the playoff, not the most deserving. Yet, so many of the arguments I hear from people lobbying for Team A to get or not get in are based on the "deserving" argument.

For instance, people are using the fact that Ohio State can't win it's conference as the basis for keeping them out of the playoff. The argument is to this effect: "If you can't win your conference, you don't deserve to be in the playoff." This is a moderately stupid argument. Not profoundly, but moderately.

The reason why it's stupid is because it defies logic. It defies logic because it is based on the assumption that a team must win a conference championship to be a really good team. We know that is not true.

Think of it like this: what if the Pac 12 North was far and away the most dominant division? Like they just murdered everyone out of conference - Ohio State, Bama, Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida State, whoever - and meanwhile all the other conferences were just awful, hot messes. Would we be saying, "Well, we can only take one Pac 12 North team because, well, only one team can win that conference and we have all these other conference winners and they need to get in there too because, well, they are conference champs" --? No, we wouldn't.

Another way to think of this: the Patriots could be clearly the best team in the league but not win their division because they happened to drop 2 fluky games to the Jets.

TLDR? Go be lazy somewhere else; my words matter and change lives.

So you are saying he would be the qb to win a national championship then?
Well played.

The 2017 class RIGHT NOW is sick. Keep in mind, something like half of those guys may not ever even see the field for tOSU, even if they all end up enrolling here. Recruiting is such am inexact science. I am amazed no one in Vegas has come up with some kind of odds for recruiting major college football.

2013 was full of NFL talent

5* Safety Vonn Bell, pulled from the south and basically taken from Alabama's grasp. 2nd Round NFL pick

4* DE Joey Bosa, 1st round pick and absolute stud

4* DB Eli Apple, 1st round pick

4* QB JT Barrett, stolen out of Texas, will own just about every OSU QB record before he leaves

4* TE Marcus Baugh, came from Cali without ever visiting Ohio State. Many thought his commitment was a joke for the longest time. Future NFL player

4* DB Gareon Conley, will be playing on Sunday's next year

4* RB Ezekiel Elliot, no need to talk here haha

4* DE Tyquan Lewis, has lead the team back to back seasons in sacks. Could be playing on Sundays next year.

4* ATH Jalin Marshall, came in as a QB/WR/RB. Had some ups and downs returning punts but has found a home in the NFL with the NY Jets

4* OL Billy Price, has been solid and may be an early entree to the NFL draft this year

4* LB Chris Worley, has been really good this year and will be playing on Sundays in a couple years.

3* ATH Daron Lee, was a QB in highschool, took Fickell nearly fist fighting Urban in order to get him here. 1st round draft pick

Still in the air...

4* WR James Clark, blazing speed but has battled leg injuries. Has played sparingly during the 2016 season, may have a bigger role next year?

4* DT Michael Hill, has been in the rotation this year but could improve given another year.

4* OT Evan Lisle, has been a career back up here at OSU thus far.

4* DT Tracy Sprinkle, career has been up and down. Nearly kicked off team for drug charge, named a starter this year only to get injured. Will see how he does next year.

The ones who didn't really pan out

4* WR Corey Smith, battled injuries and really didn't do a whole lot in the time he was given.

4* DB Cam Burrows, he was really hampered by injuries for the better part of his time here and then just got lost in the shuffle.

4* OL Tim Gardner, committed but left before his career even started here

4* LB Trey Johnson, I was pumped when he committed and then the injury bug derailed his career.

4* LB Mike Mitchell, another one I was pumped about only to see him transfer back home due to home sickness. He then transfered at least 1 more time before I quit caring.

4* DT Donovan Munger, career ended due to blood clot issues

4* DB Jayme Thompson, transferred

4* ATH Dontre Wilson is a tweener for me. I wouldn't call him a complete bust, but given the hype he came with during his recruitment I would say it's safe to say he hasn't lived up to it. He battled injuries and has shown signs of being really good here and there. This year has been his best year in my opinion.

Half of this class will end up in the NFL, 5 out of the 24 were either transfers or had careers cut short due to injuries.

Yeah, Clemson would need to lose pretty badly AND Penn State-Wisconsin needs to be a sloppy game with obvious mistakes for Michigan to even be in the discussion at this point.

I think Bama would need to lose big too

I think Ohio State handles Washington or Clemson in the playoff.

I think Ohio State gets taken behind the woodshed by Alabama. As anemic as our offense has been playing, and how we have struggled with even mediocre defenses, makes me think it would get ugly real quick against the Tide. Of course, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, but...

And yeah, in my scenario, Michigan is 5th in line to get the fourth spot, so chaos would have to reign for them to get in, and I just don't see that happening. There would be general resistance to putting in 2 teams from the same conference anyway (just because it seems unfair), so given that 3 of the spots are already locked up, I'm not sure how you could envision a realistic scenario in which Michigan gets in.

I think Bama would need to lose big too

If Bama loses close: "Bama is still easily one of the four best teams in the country."

If Bama gets blown out: "Bama was clearly resting starters and sleepwalking and not really up for this game, they get a pass, still one of four best."

I mean it would have to be like 70 to 0 or something like that to move people off the notion that Bama doesn't belong in the playoff. Their stock is just way too high right now.

Any of you going to the game tomorrow in Indy? we bought tickets 2 months ago for $130 and planned the whole trip out, then of course OSU lost and now PSU is going instead, and tickets are selling in our section for $25. so we said fucket and are still going to the game and just crashing in a shitty hotel after.

No. I'd pay $100 to not watch either of those teams, which both rank highly on my despised list. If Penn State wins, their shared delusional disorder is certain to reach pandemic proportions, which will only add to my dislike of them.