1. Bama

2. Penn State

3. Clemson

4. Washington

5. Ohio State

6. USC

7. Michigan

8. Oklahoma

It's crazy to watch all these long throws.. I sometimes forget that's what quarterbacks are supposed to do...

Yup. And I think that has been a problem for Ohio State - the field isn't being stretched vertically enough and there is no threat of a deep ball, which effectively allows teams to crowd the box.

This was exactly why Ohio State did so well in playoff in 2014: Cardale had a gun and could wing it, and we had receivers (devin smith, I love you!) who could make grabs, and it amounted to the perfect recipe: deep ball + Elliott = impossible to stop either.

I'd like to see us going to a very simplified - almost juvenile - playbook:

1. If passing, you have 1.5 seconds to throw

2. After 1.5 seconds and no pass thrown, then Barrett runs with ball

Barrett will have like 50 carries a game. Don't care. I will take a 4 yard gain on QB scramble over 6 yard loss on sack anytime.

Yup. And I think that has been a problem for Ohio State - the field isn't being stretched vertically enough and there is no threat of a deep ball, which effectively allows teams to crowd the box.

This was exactly why Ohio State did so well in playoff in 2014: Cardale had a gun and could wing it, and we had receivers (devin smith, I love you!) who could make grabs, and it amounted to the perfect recipe: deep ball + Elliott = impossible to stop either.

I'd like to see us going to a very simplified - almost juvenile - playbook:

1. If passing, you have 1.5 seconds to throw

2. After 1.5 seconds and no pass thrown, then Barrett runs with ball

Barrett will have like 50 carries a game. Don't care. I will take a 4 yard gain on QB scramble over 6 yard loss on sack anytime.

The Problem with that versus Bama is they don't let a qb get outside the pocket very well. They contain them and have adjusted their D because of rushing QB's.

You are absolutely right on why OSU did well against Bama in 2014. Bama didn't plan for a guy who can throw the deep ball. So they kept rushing the qb and Cardale exploited our secondary.

Edited by Lauren

There was something out there that basically said a few of the receivers are totally trash and JT is fine throwing the deep ball. Let me find it

Found it. First blurb https://www.google.com/amp/www.elevenwarriors.com/skull-sessions/2016/12/77552/skull-session-ohio-state-jt-barrett-deep-ball-greg-schiano-joey-bosa-noah-spence%3famp

There is simply no way you can put a team that lost by 39 to anyone in the playoffs (PSU)

They didn't have one starting LB on the field that game if I remember correctly.

and if head to head comparisons matter, PennST didn't need overtime to be Wisconsin, PennST murdered Michigan st were OSU won by 1 point.

They didn't have one starting LB on the field that game if I remember correctly.

and if head to head comparisons matter, PennST didn't need overtime to be Wisconsin, PennST murdered Michigan st were OSU won by 1 point.

1. Still a 39 point loss

2. Beat them by the same margin on a neutral field vs at Camp Randall. Advantage Buckeyes.

3. That margin won't come into play because....

4. Ohio State has a top 10 OOC road thumping and Penn State has none.

If there was a rematch between OSU and Oklohoma right now Oklohoma wins by 10 on any field. Completely different team then septembers team.

Bama vs USC would be different as well. I think Bama only wins by 14 against this USC team.

There was something out there that basically said a few of the receivers are totally trash and JT is fine throwing the deep ball. Let me find it

Found it. First blurb https://www.google.com/amp/www.elevenwarriors.com/skull-sessions/2016/12/77552/skull-session-ohio-state-jt-barrett-deep-ball-greg-schiano-joey-bosa-noah-spence%3famp

More on this. KJ Hill missed 5+ games with injury, was limited in many more, and has the 2nd most receptions by a pure WR this season. Highest YPR too.

Ironically, that blurb suggests that Barrett's regression as a downfield passer is fallacy, and then proceeds to post statistics (completion of passes 20yrds+ to certain WR's) that suggest he has regressed each year: completion percentage to D Smith [2014] > M Thomas [2015] > C Samuel [2016]. Not the most compelling argument.

The true culprit might be the OL play: I'd think it was better in 2014 and 2015 than it is this year. If Barrett has no time to throw (he rarely does anymore, it seems), then it's difficult to complete any passes, and especially those way down the field.

I think Washington is the most nervous. I know the committee isn't supposed to consider this but with how much money is involved there is no way they don't. If anyone saw the P12 championship game they saw that the stands were only about 70% filled. That's completely unacceptable. College Football is a huge money maker and if Washington can't even fill the stands in their conference championship game they certainly won't for the playoffs that will be further away and way more expensive. This is why teams like Ohio State typically get the benefit of the doubt. Am I sayin college football is corrupt? Not exactly. Is college Football a big business money maker? Yes.