Bow Hunting-2 separate questions, one being legal question

RC K9

Ohio requires express permission to hunt land. AEP land even requires you to print off a document and keep with you proving your permission to hunt there.

Do how does one get permission to hunt dillon and deleware wildlife areas? Is there a special form you have to get signed for those areas somewhere?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he means private land, you must have written permission on you while hunting it IIRC.

No, all land. The express permission for public lands is written in their rules and regs.

Ohio regulates at the individual parcel level, either being private or public land. In other places they regulate by block or zone, and your license for that area will give you permission to hunt all public lands in that block or zone unless otherwise noted. So Ohio starts with no hunting unless you have permission, whereas a lot of other states start with hunting is allowed, unless you are told not to.

i've had slugs come a little too close for comfort during deer season, and fields of bozos unloading 12ga's without a thought as to what's behind the target they all missed during the first few weeks of pheasant season.

I'll pass. I go to the woods to get away from people, and oddly enough, I see people more often on public games lands than I do in the areas in this particular public park where I see all the deer.

Are a majority of hunters out there good, safe hunters? I would guess yes. But I have seen too many of them that have no business being in the field.

That's the difference between bow and gun season. I gun hunt although I'm not a fan of it. While bow season is more popular now than its ever been there are still tons of areas you can hunt and have it to yourself. The area I hunt is thousands of acres. Not hard to get off by yourself. I've went days without seeing another person in the woods.!

Two weeks back there was an 8pt buck walking through the parking lot of my apartment complex at 2am. More than anything I thought how great it would be to have bagged it, even if I had to do it with a baseball bat or hit it with my car (or as my friend used to say hunting with a 6600 caliber projectile fired at 80 feet per second). Sometimes, it's best to just to wait for the good areas.

KERRY! NO! :no:

Bowhunting City Parks is weaksauce. Those Deer are basically pets, you can just about walk up and pet them. Hunting them just seems, well, unsportsmanlike like.

I'd beg to differ. These deer in this park are very leary of people and I have never been able to get very close, and they certainly bolt if they know you are there.

Shooting fish in a barrel is not what I am after. Same premise as my dislike of hunting stock pheasant. If I didn't think these deer were as wild as deer outside city limits, I wouldn't even be intrigued by it.

That's the difference between bow and gun season. I gun hunt although I'm not a fan of it. While bow season is more popular now than its ever been there are still tons of areas you can hunt and have it to yourself. The area I hunt is thousands of acres. Not hard to get off by yourself. I've went days without seeing another person in the woods.!

I guess I need to continue to look elsewhere whenever I make trips to central OH as I see people even in bow season. :/ Both at dillon wildlife area and also this past thanksgiving when I joined my buddy in the bow only section along alum creek up in sunbury. Was happy to get out in the woods for the first time in over 6yrs, and sure enough, couldn't make it 4hrs without seeing another bow hunter.

I picked up a year old ten point titan extreme for $365 with case and couldn't be happier.. very accurate with the provided to scope testing shots to 50yrds(I never have that much viz. to shoot in the woods just curious) I have rec. wicked ridge bows to some guys here at work you get a lot of quality for the price on those.. not much exp with joe's Barnett model, but it must smell funny its scaring away the deer out there...hahahahaha

I guess I need to continue to look elsewhere whenever I make trips to central OH as I see people even in bow season. :/ Both at dillon wildlife area and also this past thanksgiving when I joined my buddy in the bow only section along alum creek up in sunbury. Was happy to get out in the woods for the first time in over 6yrs, and sure enough, couldn't make it 4hrs without seeing another bow hunter.

there are plenty of deer to be had around columbus but that's where you'll see a ton of hunters. Look into wayne.....that's where you can get away. Granted....it's a lot further for you but to get away on your own you're going to have to drive.

Being this late in the season start watching for clearance Crossbows. I have always been a compound shooter but I was still chasing a certain buck last year until the end of the season and I found it was a PITA to draw a bow when it is -10 out. I picked up a Wicked Ridge with bolts and scope at Buckeye for ~$300 which was around 50% off. I sighted it in in three shots and it has been great.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot my first crossbow today and thought of this thread. I'm by no means an outdoors person and have never hunted ever. Shot a firearm a few times but nothing serious. Was at field and stream with my father In law and decided I wanted to try it out. Needless to say I'm hooked on shooting these things. Now I'm hunting for a good deal on a crossbow and want to start hunting. I'm leaning towards the wicked ridge but I've heard nothing but good things about barnetts.

I shot a Barnett recurve today and grouped the arrows within an inch from 18 yards and with the wicked ridge I was about 2 inches apart but it was a compound and the sight wasn't set.

I shot my first crossbow today and thought of this thread. I'm by no means an outdoors person and have never hunted ever. Shot a firearm a few times but nothing serious. Was at field and stream with my father In law and decided I wanted to try it out. Needless to say I'm hooked on shooting these things. Now I'm hunting for a good deal on a crossbow and want to start hunting. I'm leaning towards the wicked ridge but I've heard nothing but good things about barnetts.

I shot a Barnett recurve today and grouped the arrows within an inch from 18 yards and with the wicked ridge I was about 2 inches apart but it was a compound and the sight wasn't set.

Barnett makes a hell of a product. HIGHLY recommend.

Anytime you want to hunt/shoot a compound or a crossbow, or hell, a firearm, I have all and would welcome ya to try any.

But yeah, I love Barnett personally.

Barnett makes a hell of a product. HIGHLY recommend.

Anytime you want to hunt/shoot a compound or a crossbow, or hell, a firearm, I have all and would welcome ya to try any.

But yeah, I love Barnett personally.

Barnett is cheaper which helps me make that decision as I'm not sure how much I want to invest until I see if I like it over time.

But would love to go shooting with ya sometime whether its targets or actual hunting. Seeing as I've never done it before I would t mind some guidance.

Am I allowed to hunt in my Bama onesie?

Barnett is cheaper which helps me make that decision as I'm not sure how much I want to invest until I see if I like it over time.

But would love to go shooting with ya sometime whether its targets or actual hunting. Seeing as I've never done it before I would t mind some guidance.

Am I allowed to hunt in my Bama onesie?

:lol:

CFB thread aside, I wouldn't mind meeting ya and helping in any way. I'll share any bow/firearm/self defense knowledge I have and be the first to tell ya what I still don't know and where you can get additional info/training.

I've shot with Joe, Mitch, Steve, and a plethora of others on here. I've hunted for food and cleaned game. What little bit of info I know I'll gladly share whenever man, regardless of what you're wearing. :)

I'm thinking Barnett recruit compound, jackal or game crusher 2.0. Any thoughts?

Since they're all made by the same great company and all in the same general price range I'd say you can't lose with any of them.

For real though, my advice is as such: you're starting out. Find a good used crossbow and have fun. Upgrade later.

Same as with any hobby. Dip your toes in the water. No need to break the bank.

I shoot and hunt with a crossbow I got off a friend in exchange for some light repair work. It's approx 15 years old but will drop a buck easy.

Any of what you posted would be great. Won't break the bank, will get you good reps in, and will def feed the fam if that's what you're after.

I'm thinking Barnett recruit compound, jackal or game crusher 2.0. Any thoughts?

The Game crusher is a tough deal to beat from Field and Stream right now. I linked it in this thread, I think. I have a Jackal and it does all I need it to.

Yenner is a rockstar, and great example of CR helping CR. I'm not an archery guru, but I get by. If there is anything I could help with, even it is it range time, let me know. It's awesome helping someone get started.

Yenner is a rockstar, and great example of CR helping CR.

Well, I definitely appreciate those kind words from a very credible source, but I don't know about all that. :lol:

It's awesome helping someone get started.

Agreed 100%. I love helping out/sharing any knowledge I have. I may also learn something, and if I can't help or can't learn I usually know someone (like you or other connections) who can help and DO have extensive knowledge.

Firearms? Self defense? Hunting? Archery? I don't know why but I know professionals in many fields. I have a buddy that has actually been part of a bow hunting tv show from right here in central Ohio.

Always happy to help and always looking to learn/meet others.

couple things to think about when choosing is size and weight if you're going to hunt with it much. I'll use 2 from your list.

jackal is 36"L x 28.25"W and weighs 7.7 lbs

recruit recurve is 32.5"L x 27.5"W and weighs 4.9 lbs

The trade off is going to be speed. The recurve is going to be slower. 245fps vs 315fps with the compound. IMO I would rather wag around a smaller and much lighter xbow up and down hills all day than to have the speed but that's just me. 3 pounds may not sound like much until you've had to carry it a few miles. Some people speed is more important because it will keep a flatter trajectory out further. My buddies older recurve xbow is great out to 30 but past that the bolt starts dropping like a rock.

At the end of the day I would recommend going to a shop and shooting a couple side by side and one of them will call to you. That's the best way really to pick out a bow in general. You have to shoot it and see how it feels. Good luck with whatever bow you pick out. Hunting has been a passion for me for over 30 years. I live 8 months a year so I can enjoy the 4 months of bow season. I miss weddings, funerals, birthdays, ect ect if they're held in the fall. Everyone that knows me knows that so they know if they get married or die between October and January I won't be there. :D I even planned my kids births around hunting season. Got a little greedy with our last one because I wanted my wife's maternity leave to fall during bow season. He came a little late and has a b-day of oct 10th. We celebrate it during the week if it falls on a weekend. :D

I say go with the wicked ridge, http://www.wyverncreations.com this is where i ordered mine from. You should also try out a real bow if you think shooting a crossbow is fun imo shooting an actual bow is way more fun than a crossbow. Cabelas or field and stream will set one up for you to test fire just like the crossbows.

^^^. Can't help but laugh at how awesome this post is. You sound like a few of my buddies up here in Wisconsin.

some people are religious, some people golf, some people go out to the bars, ect ect. I just hunt. :D

I was married in my early 20's to a girl that always gave me grief about how much I hunted in the fall. It created constant friction when I would go....well...friction for her because my ass was going hell or high water. Before I got married the 2nd time we sat and had a long talk about how important it was to me and that if she was going to have a problem with it we should work that out now before we were married. It's never been an issue. She never says anything to me about it even though I know on occasion it bothers her (but I still go :D ). She even takes vacation during the rut so I can go for a full week. I go thanksgiving morning some years and never a word from her. I hit the wife lottery.....just took 2 tries. :D

some people are religious, some people golf, some people go out to the bars, ect ect. I just hunt. :D

I was married in my early 20's to a girl that always gave me grief about how much I hunted in the fall. It created constant friction when I would go....well...friction for her because my ass was going hell or high water. Before I got married the 2nd time we sat and had a long talk about how important it was to me and that if she was going to have a problem with it we should work that out now before we were married. It's never been an issue. She never says anything to me about it even though I know on occasion it bothers her (but I still go :D ). She even takes vacation during the rut so I can go for a full week. I go thanksgiving morning some years and never a word from her. I hit the wife lottery.....just took 2 tries. :D

Amen

Happy hunting