How do you guys dump coolant?

Geeto67

I have about 2 gallons of old coolant sitting in a container. Every shop and auto parts store I have spoken to won't take it. They all tell me the same thing: go over to the waste treatment plant and dump it in the river right at the intake (I am not kidding - this is literally what I have been told by multiple people). I have ethical problems with dumping coolant, esp that weirdo pink german stuff, into the water supply only to be processed out again.

So, where do you guys get rid of your coolant?

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/91/91bb0e08d93079d378b4d8ba5fa5c76024127b969d1960160428b8d38031bb58.jpg

but seriously....i usually throw it in the trash. Sorry i just also have never had a clue. Maybe itll help decompose some plastic in the dump or something :/

I guess I'll get called captain planet for this. Its unfortunate folks feel the need to attempt to be clever/funny responding to show how cool they are by not caring where they dump their coolant. Its all fun and games until sometime later in the distant future we find out how bad the stuff really is and how incapable our water cleaning/testing methods really are.

As stated near the top of the thread most city public waste locations will take it. I've struggled with this in the past as getting rid of oil is so easy but coolant was so difficult. Then dealing with trying to get to the places while they are open is a struggle, as they seem to be open during bank hours.

Oh well in the end I guess I just personally feel better about it and have nothing witty to say on an internet forum to fit in with my peers. :(

I guess I'll get called captain planet for this. Its unfortunate folks feel the need to attempt to be clever/funny responding to show how cool they are by not caring where they dump their coolant. Its all fun and games until sometime later in the distant future we find out how bad the stuff really is and how incapable our water cleaning/testing methods really are.

As stated near the top of the thread most city public waste locations will take it. I've struggled with this in the past as getting rid of oil is so easy but coolant was so difficult. Then dealing with trying to get to the places while they are open is a struggle, as they seem to be open during bank hours.

Oh well in the end I guess I just personally feel better about it and have nothing witty to say on an internet forum to fit in with my peers. :(

Ok Captain Planet, obviously OP doesn't want to dump it on the ground or he wouldn't be asking, so let's not take it so seriously. I get rid of my waste fluids through work, surprisingly where I am now just dumps it into the waste oil. Good to see some valid responses.