Advice needed on exterior of home

PRD2BDF

I'm planning out my projects for when the weather warms up.

One of these projects is repainting the entire house and trying to update the dated look. I have the wide siding that was prevalent in the 1960s and the 1970s. I do want to replace the siding at some point in the future but that's more down the road since the siding is still in good shape structurally and it appears to be insulated underneath.

The problem is that I can paint it but I feel like it'll still look dated. I thought about installing corner boards so I can paint it a contrasting color.

The advice I need from those who may have experienced such: should I just put it directly over the siding and caulk it or cut the siding back and put the corner boards butted up?

I'm afraid if I cut it back, I would be opening up a can of worms that wasn't ready to be opened.

Thoughts?

If I understand correctly "corner boards" are usually installed first and the siding is run up to them with a trim piece of siding used to form the edge of siding. I foresee more issues trying to put that over the siding and leaving ugly gaps and potentially flattening the siding. This would look terrible up close.

I'd save up and do it right, once, but that's me.

Embrace the dated design. Some sort of 'modern' clean color can usually do wonders. If the style warrants it you could do so much as to add brackets or some other ornamentation to the house. I would not cut corner boards in.

Frankly, paint, doors, and especially lighting fixtures can do wonders. Throw in some low-voltage up-lighting and you might have some killer curb appeal

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/spedponcho/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160208_180023_zps5kejrdti.jpg

Take those shutters off too

Could get some large deco-style house numbers and put them on the left side, going from top to bottom.

A real low streamline wood fence (think zx2guys house he just bought)...maybe only as tall as where the steps rise to....around that planting area could really look cool...maybe the numbers go on it instead. Powerwash the wall below?

And get an american flag on that bitch if you have not yet.

EDIT: since you dont have a real front porch, maybe the low fence and then make a little patio area up in the retaining area like a pseudo front porch you can sit and chill on (I dont know what street so that might not work).

1) Nice front porch light.

2) Landscaping. Some shrubs will fill in the visual bulk below the windows. I love hostas for that slope because they grow nearly everywhere, require zero maintenance, don't get eaten by deer or bunnies (too much) and look very nice and full in a couple of years. Heck, I have a bunch I'm looking to split and replant. You can have some of mine. :)

3) LED landscaping lights

4) Paint.

Hey guys

I can't believe I haven't updated you guys on the front yard. I got it relandscaped. All the weed has been removed and new plants put in. Looks much better. I have window boxes that will be going in come spring.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/spedponcho/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1484617534338_zpsa0twnc3a.jpg

The color combo I'm looking at is a darkish green with a bit of blue in it with cream trims and a nice tan color for accents. I'll have to take a picture of the brochure.

Adam has some great insight. Love the fence idea. There's a house not far from me with that type of yard and the fence does set it off. I've I'm out and about I'll snap a pic or look it up on Google streets.

I would have the house painted and perhaps just invest in some new windows up front. Maybe even bigger ones and some planter boxes under them, etc.

Congrats on the house in general and looking to continue the improvements.

My plan is to redo the deck this summer. I thought about repainting the exterior to save in money until I replace windows down the road. I have original windows everywhere except the front. They're not drafty or leaky so I figured they have a few more years left before I replace them.

I do want a fence up front, I want to make it "period correct" (1920) but there's no good termination point

My plan is to redo the deck this summer. I thought about repainting the exterior to save in money until I replace windows down the road. I have original windows everywhere except the front. They're not drafty or leaky so I figured they have a few more years left before I replace them.

I do want a fence up front, I want to make it "period correct" (1920) but there's no good termination point

Just do something low...like 18-24" tall. If it has a 'mid-century-modern' vibe I think it would still look rather "period". You probably have to replace the stair railing as well so it all melds nicely. Whole point would be to introduce another "color" to the elevation...you have your retaining wall, then the wood, then the house itself. Good contrast.

And you absolutely need to cut out plywood eyes and teeth come Halloween! That looks awesome.

Would really just add some of the emulsabond and a neutral color and go. As mentioned above shudders have to go (Cheap fix and not a horrible time waste)

Hey guys

I can't believe I haven't updated you guys on the front yard. I got it relandscaped. All the weed has been removed and new plants put in. Looks much better. I have window boxes that will be going in come spring.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/spedponcho/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1484617534338_zpsa0twnc3a.jpg

The color combo I'm looking at is a darkish green with a bit of blue in it with cream trims and a nice tan color for accents. I'll have to take a picture of the brochure.

I disagree about the shutters- the actual fascia of the house is plain/not a ton of character, and I think the shutters help break it up. I'd paint them to whatever combo you plan to do, but I think they're a nice touch.

agreed

1.Paint the house,

2. redo just that upper gable with new material like shakes or something.

3. Replace the shutters with a nicer style. Many to choose from.

4. Sit in lawnchair on sidewk and drink a beer while you admire.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk