New Car for the Wife: BMW X1 or Audi Q5 - WWCRD?

kshymkiw83

Q5 is larger inside then X3 even. Wife just got done looking at mid size premium SUVs including q5 pp. She liked the Touareg the best, q5 second, BMWs were garbage when looked at them, was shocked they competed with Audi actually based on interior, size and price.

I'll second that you are cross shopping the 'wrong' cars; Q5~X3. I've spent a bit of time in a Q5 and they are very nice. The X3 was ok, but it felt like an 'older' model. It just generally felt like a comparison between a car that had just been refreshed (Q5) vs a car that was about to go through a full model change (X3). To top it off, I think on my most recent drive of these cars back to back it was a 2014 Q5 vs a 2017 X3.

It seems like you can get the 3.0T (supercharged) engine in the Q5 at some point (it's available in 2017 models). The 2.0T is a good engine, the 3.0T in that car should be really nice. Though it has quite a bit less power than that engine in the S4 or SQ5 so I can't speak directly to how the performance feels.

I don't know much about the X1, but it's easy to imagine at their price point they aren't going to be nearly as nice.

Looking for a new car for the wife, and these are the two she likes the most.

The X1 we are looking at doesn't have the M Sport package.

The Q5 is the Premium Plus.

WWCRD?

Being as how I've been married for 25 years, and I know how my wife takes care of stuff..... I'd get her something pre damaged, scraped wheels and an interior to hold most of what she has in her closet. I say that out of..... she has had a bunch of vehicles that she wanted, now she gets what I give her, unless she has 50k+ to drop on something that will be destroyed in 6 months.

Is that to negative? Buy both, let her pick one, drive the other yourself.

X1 or X3?

Lots of comments on X3's.

X1 has only been out for a year or so, there are no long term reviews.

Current X1 is fwd based with a new b46 engine. Basically a Mini.

Nothing great about them but they are ok. Good for wife material if that's what she wants.

Wow - didn't expect the love for the Q5, TBH. A couple of things.

- I do realize the X1 and Q5 are in different classes. The Q3 is so small inside that it isn't in the running for us.

- We have driven at least 15 different vehicles, and she likes the X1 and the Q5, but can't decide where to go. She didn't like the CR-V or Highlander.

- Also she doesn't like Jeep's - I was trying to push the Grand Cherokee some, but she didn't like it.

Q5 for sure.

BMW X1's have problems. Ask ANYONE who's owned one long-term.

Like what kind of problems? I have seen reports of the Diesels (not in the US) having issues with timing chains. The only other things I have seen, are cosmetic issues.

X1 - the X1 has been out in the US market since 2013. And has been in the EU market since 2009.

You said "new" car.

So new to her?

Yes then you are correct.

My wife has a 15.

And yes some early cars have timing guide issues.

They drive similar to an E90, so pretty firm, not cushy.

Pretty proven chassis, etc.

We are planning to buy her lease out when its up if that says anything.

You said "new" car.

So new to her?

Yes then you are correct.

My wife has a 15.

And yes some early cars have timing guide issues.

They drive similar to an E90, so pretty firm, not cushy.

Pretty proven chassis, etc.

We are planning to buy her lease out when its up if that says anything.

New to her - and a brand new late '16 or '17 model.

I liked the way the X1 drove...the Q5 is certainly more SUV like than the X1.

Being as how I've been married for 25 years, and I know how my wife takes care of stuff..... I'd get her something pre damaged, scraped wheels and an interior to hold most of what she has in her closet. I say that out of..... she has had a bunch of vehicles that she wanted, now she gets what I give her, unless she has 50k+ to drop on something that will be destroyed in 6 months.

My gf just bought my dad's crv off him. Two weeks later it's full of clothes and starbucks garbage. Women are the dumbest things ever.

Just a personal experience with the Q5. My mom got one and it was a great car, but too much technology for her and she didn't like where the controls were located. If your wife is good with that stuff and "techy" then it would be perfect.

WWCRD?

Q5 + Chip.

Wow

3.0T Q5

Stock @ Crank = 268 (or 280) hp & 295/7 Ft-lbs of TQ

APR Chip Only (91 octage) @ Crank = 425 hp/364 ft-lbs

Just a hair under an SQ5 chipped, and more than a stock SQ5. And I can tell you, for a 'big' SUV, that car is a riot to drive even in stock form.

Limit her shopping to only manuals. Then have her re-evaluate whether she NEEDS a jacked-up yuppy mobile. Then get something sensible, like a gti with an LSD. It can handle all kinds of casual racing without being too scary for the typical wife.

And they're being discounted currently. All the interior quality she wants, with all the practicality and performance she needs.

Boomdone