Craigslist Freak-of-the-Day

Geeto67

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol this kind of shit is ridiculous. Why spend all that time/money on a build and then sell/trade it before you even drive the fucking thing?
That was exactly my thought, what's the point? Seems like it would even add some value if it we're proven.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That was exactly my thought, what's the point? Seems like it would even add some value if it we're proven.

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, that's a red flag. If you can't even take the time to test drive your build after you get it together, I'm not interested in buying it.

you know...you could always ask the guy....

Years ago I had a buddy with a really cherry 1982 honda CBX. The big six cyl motorcycle that prices have gone a little crazy for. He had let it sit for a couple of years and one of the valves stuck from varnished gas. So he tore the top end down (no big feat on a CBX), sent the head out for machining and new valve guides, and got it 95% reassembled.....and then he just lost interest. he could have easily pulled stupid money for the bike, and he spend a couple grand on the parts and labor, but in the end nobody could convince him to do the maybe last 5-10 hours worth of work on the thing to make it a perfect running machine. He did this with another bike too - a real Seeley Cb750 that burned thorugh a lot of cash. He had a need for a chunk of change and rather than finish it and sell it whole he just dumped it to the first guy offering close to his ask. Moral of the story: some people just lose interest, and some people need money more than a car/bike. It happens and it's not always nefarious.

woah:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/d/lawrenceburg-honda-gl1800-sidecar/6793435950.html

That is a commitment to yellow I am not even sure I could make. This is for when that duo glide with 300 lights that looks like a UFO at night isn't attention getting enough.....

Looks like a really cool car for the money.....

1968 Plymouth Fury III - $4000

00e0e_998sKxKmSJO_600x450.jpg

1968 Plymouth Fury III, 318 V8, automatic Transmission, garage kept, paperwork for rebuilt engine, minimal rust, lots of spare parts, runs and drives without issue, brakes were replaced and inspected within the last couple months. This car has always been in our family, and has been well kept all its life, we just don't have the time and space for it anymore. Mileage is unknown, but we know it is over 100,000 miles.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/dublin-1968-plymouth-fury-iii/6811401396.html

Kerry, be careful of "Gas-Clean-Automatic" cars on CL. I've found more than one of these light-on-details-with-out-of-place-pics-and-a-too-good-price to be fraudsters...

If you're seriously selling a car, you'd really only use 2 pics? If you can post up to 8 or so for free, you can't get an engine/interior shot? even through a window? Virginia front plate???

Kerry, be careful of "Gas-Clean-Automatic" cars on CL. I've found more than one of these light-on-details-with-out-of-place-pics-and-a-too-good-price to be fraudsters...

If you're seriously selling a car, you'd really only use 2 pics? If you can post up to 8 or so for free, you can't get an engine/interior shot? even through a window? Virginia front plate???

I'll keep an eye out....but really I only posted this because MYSTERY MACHINE!!!!!

that's a tell tale sign. I have spotted for sale adds from before that are listed a 1/3 of what they should go for and the photos all have the same resolution.

The van is also on Mansfield CL. The Fairlane price doesn't seem high to me.

by god you are right:

https://mansfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/galion-64-ford-van-mystery-machine/6799218422.html

Also I have to agree - early-mid 60's ford just aren't worth all that much, seemed like a fair price for a rust free project fairlane that isn't special.

Some of the best deals I ever got on motorcycles/cars came from the worst ads. Old, not tech sophisticated, dudes that can't internet well post ads that look pretty much like that. It also means their valuation of what they have isn't up to date. If you are going to scan through terrible ads though - scammers come with the territory.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/d/belmont-1991-lumina-z34-dale-earnhardt/6800618168.html

The impressive thing for me as a child of the 80s/90s is this is a Lumina with a stick!

They were rare as hens teeth but the Z34 had a V6, a 5 speed, and ran a 15 flat in 1990. If it wasn't such a terrible car in every other regard it would be a legend.

I know Kerry was complaining about GM not making DOHC motors...here's a good example of one. However, the Jalopnik NPOCP article (where the CL link came from) said the GM DOHC's were high-maintenance...curious what common problems they experienced. This one looks to be in really good condition.

https://jalopnik.com/at-4-500-would-you-find-this-1991-chevy-lumina-z34-tr-1832722109

I'd love to see the RWL Goodyears on some Bassetts or Soft 8s...too bad about the FWD offset. Maybe some newer Monte Carlo SS wheels blacked out?

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/336/chevrolet_monte_carlo_wheels_rims.html

I know Kerry was complaining about GM not making DOHC motors...

To be clear, I was complaining about GM not making V8 performance engines DOHC. GM has made some smaller DOHC engines that are just fine (maybe not the one in that lumina), see the turbo and supercharged Ecotech engines for example.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/d/belmont-1991-lumina-z34-dale-earnhardt/6800618168.html

The impressive thing for me as a child of the 80s/90s is this is a Lumina with a stick!

They were rare as hens teeth but the Z34 had a V6, a 5 speed, and ran a 15 flat in 1990. If it wasn't such a terrible car in every other regard it would be a legend.

I know Kerry was complaining about GM not making DOHC motors...here's a good example of one. However, the Jalopnik NPOCP article (where the CL link came from) said the GM DOHC's were high-maintenance...curious what common problems they experienced. This one looks to be in really good condition.

The Z34 was pretty common, but the overwhelming majority came with an automatic. The Z34 5-speeds were pretty hard to find back in the day, I can only imagine how rare they are nowadays. I badly wanted one of these cars when I was a teenager. The 3.4 DOHC wasn't really a "bad" motor, but a huge PITA to work on.