Best tow rig for 5k?

Jewtoys

I once bought this because it was a good deal, and for the sole intention of towing.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1212/4798801/9950206/407394232.jpg

I don't think I ever hauled over 6,000 lbs with it.

This time around I'm going to purchase smarter. Race car only weighs 2,600 lbs and I will be using uhaul auto transports to haul with, as I don't want a trailer parked at my house.

The only purpose of this vehicle will be to tow with, otherwise it will be parked. In the 5k or less wheelhouse, what's the most reliable horse for the job?

Really any late 90s to early 2005 1500 truck can do that with ease.

All would be reliable( all have there small issues depending on manufacturer)

But Silverado/yukon/suburban

F150/expedition/ navigator

Ram

Best to just find the best condition and roll with it. Miles really shouldn't matter anyways since you're really not going to put a lot of miles on. All those can be found mid-to-high miles for that price.

Paul is spot on.

I spent a long time finding a diesel excursion and in the search I found that excursions that aren't diesel are CHEAP. Plenty of weather free room in the back to haul stuff as well.

IF you can find a 6.0 Diesel Excursion it will not be anywhere NEAR the 5k price range and if it is... run for the damn hills! Eventually I'll pick one of those up for racecar/track weekend duty but they are hard to come by and often poorly maintained.

I'm thinking an E250 work van as a tow/support vehicle sounds about the ticket.

Yeah I'm in Charlotte. Usually stuff is rust free, unless brought down from the north.

Don't buy anything up here. In that price range all you're going to buy is a pile of rust. I do like my wife's first gen tundra. It does tow smaller stuff well, my 24 ft. enclosed trailer was about the most I could tow with it, but it did the job.

It's for sale in here, but the rust is probably a deal breaker for you. It is only body rust though, Toyota put a new frame under it. I'd sell it for $3500. Best offer I've gotten so far is $3000.

Yukon/YukonXL Tahoe Suburban. 2000-2006.

I love mine. I bought a 2002 Yukon XL 2WD I picked up for $2900 with 181k back in October/November. Fully Loaded and runs flawless minor body rust. It's also got the 12k on hitch and 2nd trans cooler. Mine is flex fuel as well. I believe around half were.

The SUV's are selling for nearly as much as the trucks and can pull 7000lbs (mine). Just got back today from Savannah GA (~750 miles) pulling a maybe 1000lb trailer. Pulled through the mountains like a champ and still rode comfortable with the wife our to kids in car seats and all our luggage and a cooler between the middle captains seats

Thanks guys

I completely overlooked vans and suvs

How often are you going to tow and how far?

U-haul trailers SUCK esp for somewhat low cars. id suggest you attempt to load your car on one before deciding that's going to be your trailer solution.

I really don't want a trailer parked at my house. The U-haul trailers do stink, and weigh a ton, but it's convenient. The car has a tubular front end, and the bumper has quick disconnects. Shouldn't be an issue getting it on and off.

Audi allroad with the stock US hitch will tow 3300lbs. Throw a Euro hitch on there and it ups it to 5000lbs. I believe that goes for both the 2.7TT or the V8 version.

I've towed with some silly stuff:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1212/4798801/9950206/412390043.jpg

I couldn't imagine towing 5,000 lbs with an allroad :masturboy: